Just something a bit curious...

My longtime XP using Dell laptop went kaput so after some research i loaded WOE/ODS/and WOV into one of my Windows 7 backup towers and sure enough they all got going. The one thing that is bugging me is that the WOV Gold anti air defenses seems to be quite subdued. I started a campaign and after a few missions i noticed i don't see any of the colored balls of flak nor the groundfire intensity that should occur in the Hanoi area for example . As a matter of fact i flew about five missions over the north and didn't see or hear a single SAM launch anywhere. 

Anyone know of something i might have done wrong? Or is that what happens on WOV Gold outside of XP

Hello James glad to see you around still

What year are you flying ? single or campaign?

There were different levels of AAA for gold were there not.

There were a few things required for Win 7 back in the day but as you have it running suspect you may not need them

did you also reload DX9? 

check the /Effects folder for the proper effect parts (inis, tgas, etc)

Did you check the complexity setting in the /Options menu?

Also, do NOT install the game to the C/ProgramFiles *** section. All 1stGens should be installed at the root of C/ (ie: C:/WoE)

Thanks for the info. 

I was suspecting something about the DX9. Thankfully i have it in my my WO setup file and shall have a go.  As for everything else, i've always run every campaign and single flight for the most difficult situations and sure enough it was way too easy up North. As an experiment i flew a single mission RF-101 to Kep to check for flack and SAM and didn't see the usual amount of flak and zero SAMs despite flying straight and level at 5,000 feet. Now that i think about it, despite having 9 radars tracking not a single lock or SAM launch and i had no ECM. Date was January 1966.

I'll go through the file paths and see what i find. Oh yes, the first thing i found out in research was to go to C/.  Makes things a lot handier.  

Went through everything and still no joy. AI aircraft are going over airfields and not drawing any fire at all. Also found other things such as missing target areas and no docks at Vihn etc, etc.

I'm going to reinstall everything as carefully as i can and see if i missed a step or two. 

I remember that in single player you can set the air defence activity in OPTIONS menu. Try HARD and maybe it will spice up your game a little.

Hey all,

As it turns out it was just an improper install. Scrapped it, went slowly and by the numbers and got it right. All's well and fine. About the only thing i'm messing about now is trying to remember how to get an AI squadrons flyable as i really like flying recce birds and WOV Gold is a massive challenge in that job. 

By getting an AI sq flyable you mean about the campaign setting or...?

3 hours ago, UllyB said:

By getting an AI sq flyable you mean about the campaign setting or...?

Yes, for campaigns. Would be really something to see about 100 missions North in a photo bird.

In campaign , as I know, you can't manage the A.I. flies number (it's a game's engine limit I think for that).  You can set airbases with up to 6 flights per airbase (if they are big ones) and fly just your campaign missions (randomly generated), where you can choose how many AI wingmen you want, up to 30 I think. I remember I tried in an WOI campaign to spice things up a bit, creating more airbases, but I didn't see more then 12-15 flights rendered at once.

However, even if game's code could do what you wished, you would need to have a supercomputer to render 100 AI flights in the same time and have reasonable frames on your monitor. I have a  powerfull computer (not the ultimate , but close enough), and when I am near a airstrip with lots of planes, lots of buildings and lots of other HQ tiles, effects etc, my pc can get , not in its knees, but close (20fps). I don't know about you, but I like quality and I have HRez skins and tiles for everything and that costs frames.

Edited by UllyB