Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

Is there a sound ini or something of that ilk?

I got the "Ambient2" sound effect with the CVN-75; you know the 6 minute one with the tannoy barking. Loved it. Added it to all the Aircraft Carriers.

But I thought it was a bit loud, and after a lot of firkling in a movie editing programme, I got the sound lowered to a decent level (In comparison to the aircraft engine etc), got the correct Audio Codec and saved it as Ambient0.

Then I put it in the sounds folder, told the carrier where to look for it, and... nothing.

It only worked when I renamed the sound file to Ambient2; i.e when I replaced a file that already existed.

I don't quite understand this, because people seem to be coming up with new sounds for their add-on packages, and all you do is drop the sound in the sound folder, and it works.

Is there a Sound.ini or something where you legitimise a new sound for the programme?

Extract SoundList.ini from FlightData.cat and move it into the Flight folder

Then edit the ini and add your new sound. Add a new entry to the list, give it the next number in line

Copy the data section from a similar sound, rename accordingly .. youll figure it out when you see it :)

Could it be, that your movie editing program made a little bit more than reducing the sound level? Changed it the sound file version? Maybe the game engine cant read the new version of sound file.

Rememeber when one  is creating sounds for helos, aircraft etc, the sound has to be in WAV format, MONO, 8 bits and max 22Kz ! Otherwise it won't work. I learned that the hard way in my times.

Thanks ULLY. That's what I needed to know.

The PCM Codec for WAV gives me 705.6 Kbps, 44.1 khz, 16 bit mono. And that worked for the file when I named it the same as the original. So you can go that high. Some simple files are just 11khz.

I figured it best to save the adjusted file with the same specs as the original.

Gepard: No, I inspected the details of the original sound file, and saved exactly the correct Codec. I needed to list it as Ully has now explained. Although renaming it as the original worked.

Thank you

It actually appears to be more complicated than your explanation.

Whilst I believe that you are absolutely right that adding a new sound file to the Sound.ini, correctly numbered, will enable the new sound in the game, there must be another way of doing this.

The reason being that there are a mere 28 sound files notated in the sound.ini that I extracted, and yet there are about a 100 sound files in the sound folder, all of  which seem to work when required.

"Ambient2" wav file is in the sound folder, it is requested by the Aircraft Carrier ini , but it's not in the Sound.ini, and yet it plays when required. So there's clearly another secret way of activating new sound files.

AFAIK...

Engine sounds (and a few others used by aircraft) work by just adding them to the Sounds folder.

Sounds for effects, guns and weapons must have the correct entry in the soundlist.

Engine sounds (and a few others used by aircraft) work by just adding them to the Sounds folder.

because they're existence is "stated" in the objects ***_data.ini //Sounds section

(things like gear sounds, flaps, airbrakes, etc)