Sign in to follow this  
sophocles

The British and "Big" birds ...

Why were English designers in the 60s so enamored by impregnated looking aircraft?  Just googling aircraft; spotted these and couldn't resist the thought  . . :biggrin:

english_electric_lightning_bac.jpg

xw544-brunty-120324.jpg

• Like 1

on the lightning it was because of the fuel and gun pack, and on the  Bucc a rotary bomb bay which meant the aircraft flew fully armed at very low level, very fast with no drag from dangly bits hanging off the wings and the Bucc was one of the best maritime strike aircraft in service at the time, the Lightning needed the same, ie no draggy fuel tanks , except for the long range overwing ones that could be fitted for ferrying, , so you had a very fast, very clean airframe that could rotate from take off to almost vertical climb , if you have never see a Lightning "Scramble" look it up and be amazed, for its time one of the most advanced interceptors around, so all the preggie bellies were there for good reason.:airplane:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trotski00 said:

so all the preggie bellies were there for good reason.

well,  after three kids, i can attest through watching my wife that those that are pregnant can move VERY fast when full of piss:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

hell yeah !!! hahahahaha

Search Youtube for this: "Lightning Aerobatics (1963)" - you see the Scramble at Second 30f ... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think you have to bear in mind that fast jets were a relatively new thing to the RAF at that time and various designs were tried out to establish the best way forward, and it is not unusual that some designs were slightly unusual in outward appearance. What we learned from them paved the way for more streamlined, more efficient and faster jet interceptor designs.   :flyer:

The Lightning seems as if it was designed with performance at the cost of almost everything else.

The P.1 didn't have any ventral bump until the P.1A.................. looks like a case of where exactly do we stick more internal fuel!

They're starting to grow on me ..

I've got to say one thing though; In which other game other than the Strike Fighters series (with the serious contributions of the modding community) can you get to fly such a variety of birds?

I'm feeling pretty grateful!!