Sign in to follow this  
gterl

Max tiles on terrain?

OK, now I'm officially frustrated. Had big ideas in terms of pushing the boundaries on terrain. But apparently the max no. of tiles that can be used in a terrain is 512...duhhh no more high-res mountain-peaks?

FE-Gold here and using the wonderfull TFDtool

Anyone knows?

cheerslarge.img00001.jpg.47d275b084f659873d8a6cc082e58d16.jpg

• Like 1

Bummer.  Your stuff looks really good, so its a shame you've run into a development wall.  :fie:

I've never even come close to that number; somewhere below 200 is as far as I've ever needed. 

I don't use the TFD tool though for The Big Jobs, that's for real 'fine tuning'; fiddling of local (1-2 tile sized) height fields. 99.9% of all my work in done in the 3W TE. In that, like other 3W "things" my guess would be 999, but no one has ever gotten (or needed to go) that high.

To get tile alignments correct, are you using my "north arrows" trick? (TFD can't do that as it only uses the tiles DIRECTLY in the terrain's folder)

EDIT: are we talking total number of tiles on a terrain, or total of differing types? For total numbers, I know SF2 (for example) can be in the 10s of thousands - and believe me! I know!!!)

total differing types, e.g. entries in the data.ini

[Texture511]
Filename=mountainG_0202.bmp
HasWater=0
Color=0.326332,0.385893,0.254337

and then..finished

I would try it in the TE -- maybe a fault in the TFD tool.  It' looks like an incomplete statement, but I'm assuming that mountain tile has no alpha objects (trees) and definately no solid objects (houses) for TOD items

Gerwin's TFD tool readme / F1 help menu states that the tool (version 1.01) has a limit of 512 tiles.

So you probably maxed out the TFD tools capability.

Thx Wrench & Crusader - yes mountain top has no alpha and/or TOD objects. Did'nt see the 512 tiles limit in the readme...doohhhh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1