Sign in to follow this  
Nyghtfall

Ranks of pilots in attached picture?

Hey there,

I just need some input for the Vietnam Skyhawks. Can anyone identify the Ranks of the Pilots in the attached picture?

The first and second in the first row are CDRs (Boaz and Lawson). The next ones should be LCDR, but not all of them, as there never where that many LCDRs in a squadron (5 to 8 were a usual number). So the others have to be LT and after that LTjg in that order.

Can anyone help me out here?

USSHancock_VA-164_70.jpg

Tough one.

Spaghetti and eggs on the bill are for commanders and above so i'm think only 2 commanders, the CO and XO

With that uniform the rank is on the end of the sleeves.

Even if there was a standard org chart there would be fluidity with promotions, attrition, augmentations and such.

CL

2 hours ago, charlielima said:

Tough one.

Spaghetti and eggs on the bill are for commanders and above so i'm think only 2 commanders, the CO and XO

With that uniform the rank is on the end of the sleeves.

Even if there was a standard org chart there would be fluidity with promotions, attrition, augmentations and such.

CL

I know, see it as a snapshot. Even the CO/XO changed during some deployments and the planes used in a squadron also changed during the cruise. :smile:

The choice was to apply the names under the canopy using names that are available from screenshots/lists and fill them up with cruisebook-entries or just do not apply them at all, if no infos are available (which would be the vast majority). I went with the first for diversity reasons. If neither was possible, nameplate is left empty (VA-55 1969-1970 for example) or removed at all. I think this works well enough.

1 hour ago, guuruu said:

Lieutenant Junior Grade Gerald Carter

http://a4skyhawk.info/article-unit/va164

Thanks! So the following are also LTjg too.

Mate,I published the link of your discussion on the ARC forum,a lot of ex-pilots there,here you can follow the thread.

Gianni

• Like 2

@guuruu The last link was quite interesting....now I know, that VA-164 had exactly 4 Scooters with the laser spot tracker. Thanks guuruu! :drinks:

@Gianni: I think Hoops on the other board hit the nail on the head...The names are alphabetically ordered and after rank-change it starts again. The last one on the page (Koenig) is the only exception from this, but the few names on the second page do fit again. So I go with that one. Thanks a lot for the help! :drinks:

Edited by Nyghtfall

Well, I didn'r believe it's possible, but you have your ranks ;-) Amazing ;-)

Mate,

I don't know if you continued to follow the thread on the ARC site.but look like if four guys of the bottom row of pics don't show pilots ( lack of golden wings) but ground pounders.

Check it Nyghtfall!

Gianni

• Like 1