Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Bye bye "blue triangles" - Thanks AnKor!

From a post on simHQ.  Immediate benefits and something wonderful to look forward to.  

The reason those blue triangles appear is that CFS3 engine incorrectly assumes that those terrain tiles should be out of view and doesn't render them. It doesn't depend on GPU or your config, it is purely a bug in their algorithm which runs on CPU.
I don't have a direct solution for this, but I have something that may reduce the issue and improve the performance at the same time.
I've already mentioned this tweak on sim-outhouse some time ago but it had little effect on the "stock" CFS3, however I believe it may work better WOFF because WOFF terrain is more detailed.
You can try it if you feel adventurous smile

Here is a zip file with compositetexturebudgets.xml - the file goes into WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\terrains folder, but don't forget to make a backup of the original file there.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvmtwF9vPtwVgYoiGbgXo8KXiEzxUQ 

Additionally you should edit shaders30\Terrain.fx file and change 256 to 1024 in this line near the beginning of the file:
const static float fTextureSize = 256;
This is needed for terrain bump mapping to work properly with modified budgets.

I would have made a JSGME package but I don't remember how.

PS: And yes, I'm working on DX11 version of shaders smile

I was flying last night until 2am and never saw a blue triangle.  Maybe 2 super tiny, gone faster than you could be sure it was there - blue triangles at most.   Frame rates appear to have improved again with this as AnKor says it takes more work off the CPU.

A few vids to see the effects for yourself.

It has been noted by a few of us who have used it that this new little bit of magic from AnKor is amazing enough that it ought to be a new official patch for WOFF UE.   It's a noticeable improvement on several fronts.

Late October 1918 JG III dogfight over the front.   Max WOFF UE settings (all 5s and HIGH settings) except Air Density is Light).  90 - 118 FPS during combat.   AnKor has said that a modified version of his mod will be released as an official WOFF UE patch when the devs get time. Great news for everyone but especially anyone who enjoys late war campaigns.

Lowered Air Density settings to Light (from medium).  The result for me has been liquid smooth 90 to 118 FPS air combat over the front with all other WOFF UE settings Maxed, while running in 4k.   Plenty of targets still in the air at Light settings in the late war.

Oct 1918 F2b encounter over the front.  Man, I love this sim all over again.   There is a slight screen jump at around 2:45.  That was from me moving my head out of the view of TrackIR, causing the view to reset to default.   

Edited by Hellshade