Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Upcoming Tweeks; an explaination

As some have noted, I've started doing some small modifications and tweeks to some of our ww2 aircraft. It should be noted, that I'll -ONLY- be adjusting/modifying those aircraft that are available here at CombatAce.

The first ones to be worked on will be those for the European Theatre.

As noticed, instead of starting new threads, I'll be uploading them to the "Tips & Tweeks" thread pinned above.

Most will be adjustments on hit boxes and adding "armor skin" (the thickness of the skin, as Baff once said "structure as armor").

Unfortunately, many, if not most of these aircraft, do not have the proper "cuts" to their meshes. Meaning, for example, wings are one piece from root to tip, with the "outer***wing" statement" defining a nonexistent mesh. Same is also true for fuselages lacking the nose, fuselage and tail statements. These will be adjusted to remove the missing meshes.

Also unfortunately, some of these aircraft, no matter how exact you copy the min/max numbers simply don't take the changes. So, there will be aircraft that will remain in their "as issued" state.

At note to 3d modlers -- it is vitally important that any new aircraft follow the 3W style, in creating the various named sections in the LOD. This not only helps for decals, but for flight and damage modeling.

So, watch the Thread above for more packages as I get them finished. I'll try to remember and included the original, "already backed up" data inis

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I had a thought ...

would it be better to create, and placed, the "new" data ini tweeks in their own pinned thread above? It might be better, simplier and easier for people to find them.

Also, at some point I DO plan on adding, after End User (tm) feedback (if any), to the existing aircraft downloads. That way, anyone downloading the aircraft for the 1st time won't have to scramble around and try to find these corrections

Thoughts?

54 minutes ago, Wrench said:

Also, at some point I DO plan on adding, after End User (tm) feedback (if any), to the existing aircraft downloads. That way, anyone downloading the aircraft for the 1st time won't have to scramble around and try to find these corrections

I strongly support this, Wrench! It surely makes life easier for the End User. Sometimes, I reuploaded entire terrain packages for little changes (something for which users should condemn me, LOL!). But it's also possible to simply add another zipped package with just the updated files alongside the original, complete aircraft package.

I don't know. First, new 'End Users' (i'm telling my own experience) are downloading first planes they like/want.

They have no idea how this game is working.  It will be ideal solution to add short list of available updates at the end of main files with short description.

But it's probably impossible with forum engine. So, maybe every plane model should have his own update directory.

For example A6M2 by someboby have link to to A6M2 by somebody / updates .

I mean every new model should have his shadow directory in updates section.

that's just a simple text edit to the aircraft's release announcment/description in the download section. Same as if a newer version has been uploaded with changes. Like I did yesterday with the C-54 package (link below)

Otherwise, any ini updates have, as in the past, simply been added to the "Object Mods / Ini Edits" download section. Like I just did with the Beau updates.

In the long run, however, each and every individual aircraft, no matter what era it's for or from, will have to be updated to the latest version.

Oh, almost forgot ...

The B-17s and B-24s (all versions) will be getting the avionics upgrade adding Crusader's bomb sight mod. Be advised, however, the game engine (tm) treats them like crap! I've never gotten more than 2 for a Player Flown (tm) mission. Hence, as I've always said, "Let the game engines AI handle all heavy bombers -- it's not designed for player usage"