Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

A-4 information requested

Hello folks

I neeed a veteran hand here if you please. I would like to know , in order, chronologically, which A-4 had TV features (for mavericks and TV bombs), anti radar missiles and  chaff/flares/ECM  payload. I want that information for being exact in my A-4 files. Did it have ?

I discovered also that A-4C had the first mounted radar (APG-53) which was just a surface radar,. Can anyone confirm that ?

Did Argentinian A-4s (in Falklands conflict) used USAF weapons ?

Thank you!

Edited by UllyB

A-4C.....95% it was the first production A-4 with a typical radar with CRT display. 

AN/APG-53A was definitely just a surface radar with terrain clearance, and ground search modes and a ground ranging function.

The 53A was on USN A-4C/L/E/F and TA-4F/J

AN/APG-53B had the same modes but added a TV mode for Walleye....(.Same for Mavs??)

The 53B was on USN A-4E/F/ (M ?) and TA-4F/J (and others I expect A-4G)

AGM-45 are specified loadouts on USN A-4E/F/M

Chaff dispensers (ALE-29A) were on USN A-4C/L/E/F by 1970 but may have been added at different times during the late 60s

Argentine A-4s may have been supplied with MK-82s (photo) but seemed to have used Mk 17 1,000lbs during the campaign.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The only Maverick-variant used on US Skyhawks were the Laser-guided ones (AGM-65E) on A-4M. No other US Navy/Marines Skyhawk-variant used any Maverick-version.

New Zealands A-4K later received Maverick-capability, but also had a new APG-66 radar.

Israel is said to have used the Maverick with their Skyhawks, but I never found any picture of this, so I'm not sure, if this is really true. If they used them, then probably with the newer A-4N (that also had a newer APQ-145-radar) and not with their older A-4E/F/H.

AGM-45 Shrikes could be used on A-4C/E/F/M/N and probably on L, but not on TA-4s.

Chaff-/Flare-Dispensers on US Skyhawks could be used on A-4C and E after "Shoehorn"-retrofit in '65, aswell as F, L, M. Some A-4B also received the "Shoehorn"-ECM avionics, so maybe these also had Chaff-Dispensers. There were different layouts of the dispensers.

- 1x far aft left + 1x right side of tailhook-attachment (with left side having a ECM-antenna)

- 1x far aft left + 1x left side of tailhook-attachment (with right side having a ECM-antenna)

- 1x far aft left only (not sure if this is a real config or just one of the former with the second spot not visible)

- left + right side of tailhook-attachment (A-4M only)

Another interesting thing is, that US Skyhawks usually had not Sidewinder-capability (only provisions). Exceptions were the planes, that were used as Air-Defense on CVS-carriers (VSF squadrons and some Detachments of regular squadrons) and A-4M.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UllyB said:

Did Argentinian A-4s (in Falklands conflict) used USAF weapons ?

Thank you!

The A-4Q of Argentinian Navy employed US-manufactured Mk-82s,with both conical or Snakeyes fin assembly;in the days preceding the start of the war,was also used for CAPs from the carrier 25 de Mayo armed with a fuel tank and a pair of Aim-9B,but during the conflict flown only attack missions.

For the Argentinian Air Force A-4Cs,again before the start of the war,for the CAP,the planes was armed with a pair of Shafrir 2 missiles and 2 or three external tanks.

For attack missions,the typical bomb load used comprised three Explosivos Alaveses 250kg bombs,either parachut-retarded (BRP,Bomba Retardada por Paracaidas and close resembling MK-82s) or with convntional tails.Also.from 11 May tha Skyhawks began using the 1000lb Mk-17 bomb..In the missions,the planes used always two external wings tanks 'cause the distnace involved taking off from the mainland bases and the Falklands.

Hope this help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot guys for the info. I appreciate a lot your knowledge.

13 hours ago, Nyghtfall said:

- 1x far aft left only (not sure if this is a real config or just one of the former with the second spot not visible)

Yep, wrongly identified config, it was always 2 dispensers

A-4EF_ALE-29_01.jpg~original.jpg

• Like 1

by the way, in SF1/SF2 universe a datalink pod it is used as laser designator or what is its purpose ?

4 hours ago, Crusader said:

Yep, wrongly identified config, it was always 2 dispensers

:good:

Seems to be a pretty widespread mistake, as one finds drawings and info with it with no effort.

1 hour ago, UllyB said:

by the way, in SF1/SF2 universe a datalink pod it is used as laser designator or what is its purpose ?

Which object exactly?

I mean, in weapon editor, at STORE TYPE, it says DATALINK. Does it matter if its one or another if they are in the same category ? I assumed that if LASER DESIGNATOR , for instance, is in one category, then a DATALINK one cannot be a laser designator, too. So being not clear for me what is their purpose exactly in the game, that is why I asked the question.

All the laser pods I have are set to Laser Designator including the stock ones.

Not familiar with the DATALINK category personally but someone might be.

I see. It means that at one time, modders and TK had something in mind for them, also that goes for Navigation Pods. If you take a weapons pack , an untouched one I mean, you'll find plenty of datalink pods and navigation pods, at the STORE TYPE cassette. It's a mistery what are they good for, but I doubt that modders made them just for the show. Maybe someone who knows will tell us what are they for. Thanks anyway.

Edited by UllyB

The AttachmentType's  NP and DLP are swapped... DLP uses NP and vice versa.

VC-5 A-4E with two dispensers

VC-5-Skyhawk A-4E.jpg

Video IP-936/AXQ - thats the TV monitor for Walleye which replaces the normal radar scope

A-4EF_1-12.jpg~original.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks man, precious info.

I searched for the A-4N radar, AN/APQ-145 but I can't find what ground map radar ranges were. Can anyone help here please ?

UPDATE

I founded that its max range was 14,8 km. Can anyone confirm that please ?

Edited by UllyB