bruceD

Just updated video card, Flight sim suggestions ?

My PC is about 7 years old

CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M, 8Gb of System memory running Win7 64 bit

but just updated to a new 4Gb 1050Ti and was wondering what Combat flight sims I could run now. I have the box version of Flanders fields and First Eagles. I was hoping to try Rise of Flight and maybe some of the IL-2 series.

Also If I get them on Steam do they run slower from being online?

Old simmer hoping to get back into it. Updated mostly to run Assetto Corsa better, but I did flight sims ages ago including Red Baron

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Some sims are starting to need more than 8GB of RAM with higher quality settings (here's looking at you DCS World), but you should be able to run most sims available perhaps with the quality levels turned down a notch or two.

Steam shouldn't affect the speed of the game application, but it gets updates of one sort or another very frequently. I like some aspects of steam such as the portability of most games across multiple PCs and some awesome sale prices, but it is better for the game developers if you buy directly from them. So, if you like the devs and want your money to go to them rather than steam, buy direct. I am split about 50/50 between steam and non-steam games. In some cases, steam was the only choice. In other cases, the economics made steam the way to go. But whenever practical, I buy direct.

The IL-2:Battle Over X series is very good. I don't play it much because I spend most of my time on DCS World. But I like the P-40 in AVG colors and it plays very well in VR on the Oculus Rift. It is slowly becoming a complete replacement for IL-2:1946. I was never a big fan of the original IL-2 for a variety of reasons, but I used to enjoy flying the F4U Corsair from/to carriers from the time Pacific Fighters was released. I am hoping this much better sim continues to expand to reach and even surpass the variety provided by IL-2:1946.

But if you like online game play, try Aces High 3. If you can catch a good time when lots of people are online, it is a lot of fun.

I just tried the demo of Rise of Flight, but getting the joystick right is a pain. Graphics are good too. I saw Canvas Knights here and it looked interesting even though I never heard of it. I have Over Flanders Field which isn't bad. I may try IL-2 1946, it looks like a bargain for what you get.

Never heard of DCS world though. may try Flying Tigers Shadow over China. I also have Rowans BOB 2, but all the bombers flying really kills my FPS.