jeanba

South West Africa : crash to desktop around target

Hello

I have a problem with my sw africa campaigns : evry time I am close to the target or nearly, I have a ctd

Any idea ?

Thank you in advance

Does it happen everytime or only at certain targets?

Nearly every time either on defense suppression and strike missions

The only time it did not, it was a ground support mission and actually the mission was a success before I arrive on target

1 minute ago, jeanba said:

Nearly every time either on defense suppression and strike missions

The only time it did not, it was a ground support mission and actually the mission was a success before I arrive on target

I had a look a the terrain's .inis a lot of time ago, and I found countless bugs, unfortunately. It was a first terrain effort by a small team. With their consent, I'll probably remake it and bugfix it in the future. For now, just live with it. It's not the kind of problem I can fix in five minutes.

Ok

The fun is that I made several campaigns which were basically working :(

38 minutes ago, jeanba said:

The fun is that I made several campaigns which were basically working :(

The bugs I mentioned do not affect all target areas, so it's possible that such campaigns work with no hassle. Most CTDs that I experience in terrains have to do with air-to-ground missions. Could be for several reasons, missing objects and/or entries in the _TYPES.ini etc.

a general bit of advice for you two, as well as all others that do campaign/mission modding would be to jot down features of a mission prior to testing. i dont mean this for fun flights, but rather those in which you are checking out features youve created. this should help pinpoint issues

what type of install; what type of mission; aircraft; type of targets; number of targets; what is the target area; noting this info when testing and seeing what is different when it does or doesnt crash can help pinpoint the issue

yes, i know its QA/bug hunting 101, but a reminder couldnt hurt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

a general bit of advice for you two, as well as all others that do campaign/mission modding would be to jot down features of a mission prior to testing. i dont mean this for fun flights, but rather those in which you are checking out features youve created. this should help pinpoint issues

what type of install; what type of mission; aircraft; type of targets; number of targets; what is the target area; noting this info when testing and seeing what is different when it does or doesnt crash can help pinpoint the issue

yes, i know its QA/bug hunting 101, but a reminder couldnt hurt

Just one usefull question :

How do you save the mission you are playing if SF2 CTD ?

1 hour ago, jeanba said:

How do you save the mission you are playing if SF2 CTD ?

well, you don't. that's the nature of a crash. however;

1 hour ago, daddyairplanes said:

jot down features of a mission prior to testing.

jotting as many parameters as you can prior to pressing "fly" will help pinpoint, and allow you to select things to see what is going wonky

Actually, all missions I saved which were very likely to fail (same target / same place / same type) worked as single mission.

It seems that mainly "operation Modular" is not working (I play a F1AZ)

12 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

well, you don't. that's the nature of a crash. however;

That's the problem.

In most softwares (RoF, Il2BoS, Il2 for instance), in cas of crash, there is a logfile telling you very good indications about what failed.