Lebed 7

The Lebed 7 was a Russian copy of the British Sopwith Tabloid. It was produced in 1915 and was intended to be used as a fighter. But with an 80hp Gnome engine and wing warping controls, it was quickly outclassed and was used primarily for recon and later for training.

The Lebed 7 was shipped from the factory unarmed. The British plane had a machine gun mounted on the upper wing, so it isn't unreasonable to think that a Russian pilot might have tried mounting a gun on his plane. I have made a (possibly fictitious) version of the plane with a Lewis gun mounted on the top wing. 

My Lebed 7 has a fully functional cockpit, three skins - a grey paint and two clear doped linen, and a full set of number decals. My skinning templates are included.

The plane comes with a helmeted Russian pilot; instructions for installing the pilot are included. Or you can change the data.ini to use one of the stock FE pilots.

Many years ago Nixou recorded a a large number of sounds for First Eagles. I have included the sound file for the 80 hp Gnome Monosoupape engine, but you may already have it.

Credits
Thanks to Ojcar for making the data file for the Lebed 7.
Thanks to Nixou for making the sound file for the Gnome 80 hp engine.

Installation Instructions
For FE1 - Unzip the file. Move the folder named "Lebed7" into your FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. 

For FE2 - Unzip the file. Move the folder named "Lebed7" into your FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. Then in the FirstEagles/Objects/Decals folder, create a new folder named "Lebed7". Move the folder named "D" from your Aircraft/Lebed7 folder into the Decals/Lebed7 folder you just made. 

In case you don't already have it, I have included the sound file for the 80 hp Gnome engine. Move the file named "gnome80m4.wav" from my Sounds folder into your Sounds folder.

You may not need to install the pilot with helmet, it has been available for download for some time and has been included with other planes. In case you don't already have it, I have included the pilot and instructions for installing it in a separate folder included in this download.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lebedev lost his license for Sopwith Tabloid, making unauthorized changes to the design of the engine's cowl, after which the "Tabloid" became "Swan-VII". In total, less than ten of these "swans" were built.

lebed7-11.thumb.jpg.6a8e90cdbc0f4779360a3ef3f38ef6c0.jpg

• Like 4

The British Tabloid was used very successfully in the early months of the war, as an inceptor and as a bomber. I imagine that was what motivated  the Russians. A single prototype of the Lebed VIII was built, with different landing gear, but it never went into production.  - As I said, mine is fictitious.

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stephen1918 said:

The British Tabloid was used very successfully in the early months of the war, as an inceptor and as a bomber. I imagine that was what motivated  the Russians. A single prototype of the Lebed VIII was built, with different landing gear, but it never went into production.  - As I said, mine is fictitious.

:biggrin:  You are absolutely right. On the top photo - actually "Лебедь-VIII". It differed from the prototype (pictured below) not only by the different landing gear , but also by the increased wingspan. It really was made in a single copy.

originalеецц5.jpg

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 3

Looking at the top photo, it looks like the Lebed VIII also had ailerons - the Lebed VII used wing warping.

• Like 3

On 25.06.2018 at 9:00 PM, Stephen1918 said:

the Lebed VII used wing warping.

There were several types of Sopwich "Schneider / Tabloid". Usually they can be designated as SS.1, SS.2 and SS.3 (SS - Sopwith Scout), designated by the British. Type SS.1 was the direct development of the two-seater Sopwith Type St.B and the racing "Schneider". They had a protruding upper wing and no ailerons. Control of the wing with the steering wheel. Approximately the same were the first military Schneiders on floats ordered by the British fleet, and this type of control (wing warping, or gauchissement) was specifically stipulated in the contract. But by this time there already existed a more advanced airplane Type SS.3, equipped with ailerons and, apparently, the control stick. The upper wing was almost not protruding forward. They were also ordered by seamen in small quantities, one or two were armed. The prototype for the "Lebed" was the SS type, but in Russia, it seems, also got one SS.3. What is characteristic, later, the British upgraded all the remaining aircraft without ailerons to normal controls.
By the way, I was prompted, that such "swans" was produced only three copies.
V.A. Lebedev suggested to the Ministry of War acquire three "scouts": "I propose to purchase three "Lebed-7" apparatuses of the "Sopvit" type. These apparatuses are distinguished by their compactness, convenient transportation and high speed up to 150 km per hour, so that they can be of great use wherever a quick reconnaissance production is required. The price is 11200 roubles with a "Gnome-80" engine . Without a motor -7200. One we can deliver with a motor, two - without an engine. "
But, in spite of the high estimation of the test pilot, these planes did not interest the "chief of Russian aviation" Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich.

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 3