Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

Is there a way to limit Max G on the F/A-18?

I've been trying out the FA-18 and CF-18 aircraft - same thing actually as all the main files are identical - and I'm horrified to find that when I roll though 90 and pull hard away from the target, I can reach 23G without blinking. Which means I just died.

Is there an adjustment to avionics, cockpit, data files etc that will enable me to put a max G of 9 for the aircraft?

I believe it was Fubar who figured this one out - someone correct me if I'm wrong so I credit correctly, but yes, you can add a g-limiter to your plane. 

Add this to the [Fuselage] section of the aircraft data.ini:

SystemName[XXX]=CAT1_G_Limiter

(NOTE: Add the next number iteration from the Fuselage section.  For example, if the last entry was SystemName[028]=RightStab, you'd name the limiter SystemName[029]=CAT1_G_Limiter)

Then, somewhere below that (I usually keep it in the section which defines the wings, vert tails, stabs, etc.):

[CAT1_G_Limiter]
SystemType=HIGHLIFT_DEVICE
DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_G_loading
CLiftdc=-2.7500
CDdc=0.0
Cmdc=-0.350
AreaRatio=2.000
SmoothDeployment=TRUE
Setting[1].Angle=45.0
Setting[1].DeployValue=7.33
Setting[1].RetractValue=7.25
MaxDeflection=20.0
MinDeflection=0.0
ControlRate=5.0
ModelNodeName=Internal

For this example, the g-limit is set to 7.33g.  I think the retract value can be closer to the deploy value, but I don't think they can be the same, and retract should be slightly below deploy.  So, if you want your F/A-18 to follow its nominal symmetric g-limit of 7.5, or even a slight overshoot to 8.0, you can set the DeployValue= to, say 7.55 or 8.0 or something thereabouts.  The retract value should be something like 7.45 or 7.95, respectively.  Play with it a bit to see what works best.

• Like 1

Thank you, Caesar. Mille Grazie.

This works a treat.

The FlightControl entry in the Data File shows MaxG=7.5 for the AI, so I put in 7.5 and 7.4.

I did push the envelope a bit in my test and got a MaxG of 10.5 showing. But I was pulling back wildly and trying to force it.

I believe that if I just tried to fly normally, I wouldn't reach that figure.

Before, the slightest accidental pull too hard and I was at 23G.

But yes, plenty to play with.

So thank you, it will now be a pleasure putting this aircraft through its paces.

And if Fubar came up with this originally, thanks to him too.