My idea is to see if TK is willing to improve the SF Software and repair some bugs with the community's involvement?

Thanks a lot.

How much he needs? If the price is fair, count me in.

I'm not sure its a good idea because 1. money in a generally free group (hats off Erik on making the site work on donations!), either only contributors get access or they get mad at all the uses of what they paid for, 2. legality. 

best bet is first CombatAcer to win the lottery buys the rights to WoX/SF2 and secures a two year consulting contract with TK on whats going on with the code (a common daydream of mine that includes setting up an international company. hiring some tolerably qualified folks from here of course)

• Like 2

That's why I asked about what to search, there are things that cannot be so hard locked. Like the old SFP1 Air to air refuelling trick, the hability to add a NVG layer, or the smoke and sound when a plane lands.

I would start negotiations with TK to see if he'd be willing to work on this type of project under contract or see how much specific fixes would cost and go from there. It's hard for developers to shelve projects and I'm sure it was equally so for TK.  

• Like 5

Or, draft a list of bugs we want fixed, the changes and new features we want implemented, ask TK for a quote on how much it would take to implement them, have the community finance the work, provide the testing and QA and let TK release it as a new patch. It's really the most realistic path forward, the one with the least moving parts, the shortest timeframe and the best chance of success. Just contract TK to fix/update his own work.

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gunrunner said:

Or, draft a list of bugs we want fixed, the changes and new features we want implemented, ask TK for a quote on how much it would take to implement them, have the community finance the work, provide the testing and QA and let TK release it as a new patch. It's really the most realistic path forward, the one with the least moving parts, the shortest timeframe and the best chance of success. Just contract TK to fix/update his own work.

I think, and this goes for Erik too, that no matter how many money we can offer to TK, he will simply not accept. IIRC he was talking something like 20k $. If we could gather 20k dollars maybe he would accept.

Let's start with drafting what we need; Whatever road is taken, this is something that WILL be needed, and it WILL be necessary to convince TK that we are serious about it. That we aren't even able to do the simplest step is not going to inspire confidence when trying to find devs or negotiating a licence with TK.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gunrunner said:

Let's start with drafting what we need; Whatever road is taken, this is something that WILL be needed, and it WILL be necessary to convince TK that we are serious about it. That we aren't even able to do the simplest step is not going to inspire confidence when trying to find devs or negotiating a licence with TK.

Ok, I agree, what you propose? If we present this as a community, we should sign with each name and nick, so TK can see who we are.

as gunrunner said..first things first. What we need / can be fixed. What else we need. And of course, we need community agreement  - what we need.

Because am sure everyone wants something different. And there are many things for fixing..even simple things in the game menu like -  simply and quick choosing loadouts setups from loadout ini file...

believe me without community agreement ... the list will be looong - and perhaps expensive.

1 minute ago, yakarov79 said:

the list will be looong - and perhaps expensive.

Sure, expensive. but I would pay good money for such fixes and upgrades. After all, a DCS module can cost as much as 80$!! And is only one plane!! Thing here is, how many of us are decided to pay, and how much?

Let's not put the cart before the horse.

1, collect bug reports, as detailed as possible, with steps to reproducibility, details on the configurations.

2, triage of the bugs by severity and priority, elimination of non-reproducible bugs and non-bugs.

3, collect feature suggestions.

4, triage and prioritise, first feature changes, then new features to implement.

5, add core engine changes (think, moving to DX11, or Vulkan, adding an API for exporting flight data, add multiplayer).

6, draft a formal document.

Then, once this is done and the community involved, we will worry about the next step, let's not start daydreaming and bypass the groundwork to fantasise about the future.

Care to close this one then please?

Please start a new topic for the discussion of re-working SF and a new topic for the list of fixes. Thank you.