Hello all!

I am planning to rework the skin of Klavs81's F-35 to represent one of the most distinctive characteristics of this plane - the "zig-zag" lines on top of the fuselage which are RAM coatings covering the panel lines. The model available here on CA does not represent the panel lines quite correctly.

I have a question for you: have you come across any high quality top-down view pictures of the F-35A? I only found something here and I would like to use such top-downs for reference: 54caaa6d7e4b004120bc35c7_image.jpg

I would appreciate any help.

Cheers

kblomkvist

Imagine what you could achieve with BM and SM !

• Like 2

Well, maybe I'll try. First I need to learn something more about BM/SM.

Thank you for doing this!  Really want to fly F-35s in the sim with SDBs or nowadays StormBusters.  

11 hours ago, JosefK said:

Thank you for doing this!  Really want to fly F-35s in the sim with SDBs or nowadays StormBusters.  

Don't get me wrong. I'm only working on the skin with more accurate details. I'm not working on the 3D model update because I don't have the files and I am not a 3D guy in any way so don't expect to have a totally new version of this plane unless someone else decides to make it. The F-35 is available here on CA, you can have fun with it and even load it with SDBs.

• Like 1

I'd like to present some early effects of my fork, let me know what you think. So far, I've only redone the top side of the fuselage.

Before:

28am0y0.jpg

and after:

1z6qpgp.jpg

• Like 11

Looking real, looking real!

Great improvement, nice job!

Not bad 0.0

I've almost finished the basic skin. I won't mess around with bump/specular maps because AFAIK one needs to add them to the 3D model .max file and I have no access to the model itself. Correct me if I'm wrong here. 

I would like to ask whether anyone with experience in FM tweaks could help with fixing the Lightning's flight model. For me, it's slightly too slow and "bulky" without the afterburner.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kblomkvist said:

I've almost finished the basic skin. I won't mess around with bump/specular maps because AFAIK one needs to add them to the 3D model .max file and I have no access to the model itself. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

AFAIK you're right. If the exported .LOD model has no bump/specular maps, those must be added to the source 3d .MAX file. Anyway, your skin is going to be a much needed improvement over the original, so thank you for contributing!

Edited by Menrva

And here it is finally. I am not going to release it until I'm finished with all F-35A USAF squadrons.

igwx0h.jpg

2gsl4dj.jpg

2qd7jok.jpg

• Like 10

awesome work. one thing i notice looking at the photo vs skin is the air refueling markings(white and black) still contrast quite a bit. if you have it as a separate layer, simply reducing the opacity some should work to gray it out a little. that panel line work kicks ass, looking forward to the rest of the USAF

1 hour ago, kblomkvist said:

And here it is finally. I am not going to release it until I'm finished with all F-35A USAF squadrons.

Hoping for templates...or better Israeli ready skins.:pilotfly:

6 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

Hoping for templates...or better Israeli ready skins.:pilotfly:

Why not :biggrin:

Here's the realistic 140th SQN skin (currently the only operational F-35 squadron in the IDF):

b3q3yo.jpg

and a fictional one with tail art similar to the one on F-16s of 140th SQN:

nmn768.jpg

Edited by kblomkvist
  • Like 5

I've finished all the USAF squadrons skins except for 461st FLTS as a purely test unit. I used the serial number database to recreate all the serial numbers used by each unit (available here: http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-35/serials-and-inventory/).

4th FS, 388th FW, Hill AFB, UT

i35r9x.jpg

31st TES, 53d TEG, Eglin AFB, FL

2i05661.jpg

34th FS, 388th FW, Hill AFB, UT

25fsvis.jpg

58th FS, 33d OG, Eglin AFB, FL

35cn0ut.jpg

61st FS, 56th OG, Luke AFB, AZ

2jffupx.jpg

62d FS, 56th OG, Luke AFB, AZ

2ir4tgw.jpg

63d FS, 56th OG, Luke AFB, AZ

2z751d4.jpg

422d TES, 53d TEG, Eglin AFB, FL

2wqe3yg.jpg

I've also fixed some details.

ws61bk.jpg

I only need to do some .ini tweaking including loadouts and the pack will be ready for release.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for doing this!  

I'm back with some fresh Japanese content. I may admit that the main inspiration to do this were recent Japan vs Russia scenarios presented by @JosefK

So, here it is. The plain realistic gray skin with no special markings as it is used in the JASDF Rinji  F-35A Hikotai.

2uzueqp.jpg

qoj9sk.jpg

And a semi-fictional 302 Hikotai skin with a tail art similar to the one used on F-4EJ Kai Phantoms.

23wwd4k.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kblomkvist said:

I'm back with some fresh Japanese content. I may admit that the main inspiration to do this were recent Japan vs Russia scenarios presented by @JosefK

So, here it is. The plain realistic gray skin with no special markings as it is used in the JASDF Rinji  F-35A Hikotai.

2uzueqp.jpg

qoj9sk.jpg

And a semi-fictional 302 Hikotai skin with a tail art similar to the one used on F-4EJ Kai Phantoms.

23wwd4k.jpg

Well then, I guess I'll have to write a F-35A mission into V1 of my project.  ETA is 25 March (my birthday) or sooner.

V2 will have more goodies, but it will take substantial time to deliver them.  Learning curve!

• Like 1

USAF F-35A, 65th Aggressor Squadron in "J-20" paint scheme

ehxml3.jpg

9vdz60.jpg

Edited by kblomkvist
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

As you may have seen, I'm currently working on the F-35B skins, starting with the USMC. I encountered some decal problems which have been discussed in the other topic (below) and they have been solved by now (many thanks to @Wrench, @daddyairplanes, @russouk2004 for their advice).

Expect some pictures soon, I will upload the mod when all the USMC operational squadrons are finished. Then, I will make some foreign skins for the F-35A&B before reworking the C skin.

Edited by kblomkvist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1