Nesher

IDF shoots down Syrian fighter jet that entered Israeli airspace

I am a little suprised as I thought the Su-24 which is a relatively modern aircraft and is fitted with modern air defence systems was quite capable of protecting it'self from anti-aircraft missiles. Obviously not. Was the crew asleep or something.:dntknw:  :dntknw::dntknw:

I was in Israel last week. Netanyahu informed that a Patriot missile shoot down an Iranian or Syrian drone. Now this Su-24. You have to keep always alert.

The Sukhoi was attacking IS forces close to the Golan heights. I think the IS is a bigger danger for us all than Assad. So the shot down was a mistake.

We also intercepted 2 SS21 missiles shot at northern Israeli towns.. and of course dozens of airstrikes in Gaza in response to terror attacks and rocket fire at Israeli cities

mono, you came during "happy hour" here..

Gepard, there is no mistake, when an enemy pilot enters our airspace he needs to be shot down... what if he decided to drop one of his bombs in Israel? no one can guarantee his intentions when accidently (or not) entering Israeli airspace...

I see your point, but 2 km inside the airspace is nothing for a military jet. This is in the range of a normal navigation error. Especially it the IS targets are close to the golan heights.

If we would have accted like the israelis in the bad old time and would have opened the fire if NATO planes entered our airspace a little bit  WW3 would have started a lot of times. And i think vice versa, if soviet planes tested the west german borderline.

The israeli shooters were a little bit over nervouse or simple trigger happy.

The order to shoot down the jet was after talking with the Russians and making sure it's not one of their own, then Netanyahu had to give the green light (from what I understand)

5 hours ago, Gepard said:

I see your point, but 2 km inside the airspace is nothing for a military jet. This is in the range of a normal navigation error. Especially it the IS targets are close to the golan heights.

If we would have accted like the israelis in the bad old time and would have opened the fire if NATO planes entered our airspace a little bit  WW3 would have started a lot of times. And i think vice versa, if soviet planes tested the west german borderline.

The israeli shooters were a little bit over nervouse or simple trigger happy.

It happened all the time during the Cold War https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-to-air_combat_losses_between_the_Soviet_Union_and_the_United_States

18 hours ago, dtmdragon said:

If you look closer to the fact you will see, that the opening of fire happend only when the intruder was deep in our airspace. Gardelegen was more than 30km away from the border, Erfurt more than 50km. Short violations of airspace and short high speed runs over some areas was a common thing in the bad old time. No need to open the fire.

Civilian intruders sometimes flew up to 130 km from west into our airspace. Mostly Cessnas with old commiehater pilots. This ended in the mid 80th when the Mi-24 got the task to stop such intruders.

Some sources seem to be of impresion it was an Su-22M4 

The best one is this claiming a Syrian Su-57 :lol:

• Haha 2