Sign in to follow this  
Geary

RB-57E: Weapons or No Weapons?

I'm adding some painted-on cameras to ajunaidr's RB-57E but I get conflicting information while searching the internet on whether the plane retained it weapons.

Does anyone know what the most common loadout was for the RB-57E in the Vietnam War?  Weapons or NO weapons?  If yes, which ones?

Help with the most common marking will also be very helpful.

TIA,

img00002.thumb.JPG.79e802a174be8c027401db5198d5ab24.JPG

img00001.thumb.JPG.548bb627d4972cfe09519c1f35369ffe.JPG

• Like 3

I would think none for the recon mission. One set of camera's are  in the bomb bay, 2 in fuselage mountings and another in the nose - which was modified to fit the recce equipment. (the definitive book,  Crowood EE Canberra & B-57 by Barry Jones is more than a bit vague) There were only six or 8 conversions (search the download for Patricia Lynn from 10-12 year ago)

• Like 1

Although I can't find anything definitive, I'm leaning toward NO weapons, too.

I found one questionable reference to where cameras are placed, but it has nothing about 2 fuselage cameras.

I've found the Patricia Lynn aircraft here but none of them has cameras.

The 'Crowood EE Canberra & B-57' by Barry Jones book might take awhile to acquire; it's a bit expensive - almost $250 new on Amazon.  Even used is up around $50 and above.

I'm waiting on 'B-57 Canberra Units of the Vietnam War' to arrive but as I ordered it from the UK it might take awhile.

Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

B-57 Canberra Units has no mention of any weapons for Patricia Lynn.

1 hour ago, MigBuster said:

B-57 Canberra Units has no mention of any weapons for Patricia Lynn.

Does it have any pictures of Patricia Lynn aircraft?

do you have the Squadron in Action book? it has some black and white pics in the RB-57E chapter, and mentions nothing about weapons

the page from the 'in action' book. hope it's large enough

squad-signal_in-action_rb57e.jpg

• Like 2

Wrench,

Thanks.  It's got a few tidbits I can use.  Even if the pictures are B&W and difficult to see, I can see Patricia Lynn started with NM(?) or light gray over white (?) ac and went to black.

Can also see some USAF marking on both paint schemes.

to do the mod right, one would need both the NM and night skins. it also seems the display of the serials differs, at least 3 different presentations. Making the decals is not that much of a job.

and as for weapons, NONE!

This is a single mission aircraft, RECON only. However, it did "lead" regular 57s, and c-123 flare ships. Apparently, their IR camera could be used as a LLTV

(data from the Crowood, in action and osprey books)

• Like 1

Well, all the decal are done for the NM version. This skin is fucking horrible! Panel lines 50% too dark, a-g panel shifted left; need more work -even if I did "borrow" the skin from another one of ajundur's cranberries (along with the LOD itself with it's massive shadow ropes). Need to to the red serials -- nothing in all the 3 books seem to show the squadron tail code, but I'm still looking

got all the avionics updated (added IR/LLTV), corrected lights, hit boxes, armor, all 6 historical serials mission statements to RECON and ARMED_RECON only, etc, etc, and of course, etc.

rb57e-1.JPG

• Like 1

Wrench,

Here are a silver and black WIP skin set for you to experiment with.

They still need work.  I still need to add a couple of cameras to the camera bay and clean up details, etc.  And getting the silver skin lines the right shade is a bitch.

Feel free to critique but keep in mind almost nothing on this plane is easy to place.  Too many areas on it exist in the Twilight Zone.

RB-57E.7z

• Like 1

you're not redrawing all them are you? that'd be a freeking nightmare!! :stars:

the original black skin is pretty good, other than lacking the camera ports.

I should have all the decals done in a day or so (3 different types, for NM, and 2 black skins), and then I ship everything out to you.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by 'all of them.'  I've repainted 5 skins; 1.  silver, 2. black, 3. SEA camo over gray, 4. SEA camo over black, and 5. slightly reshaded the tan on the B-57G Tropic Moon.

I'm trying to get Vietnam Canberra's done.

They still need detail clean-up and the decals are dicked up.  These models have lots of anomalous areas and shadow lines but they're the only RB-57E and B-57G we have (that I'm aware of).

Think I'll try adding cameras to the TW B-57B skin and fake it as a RB-57E.  Can't fake the B-57G's chin, though. 

img00032.JPG

img00028.JPG

img00029.JPG

img00030.JPG

img00031.JPG

• Like 1

Decals are easy peasy (well, for me anyway). The work is running down individual aircraft to specific units

Unfortunately, we're stuck with theses models and their flaws. But at least they have the correct shape! TK's B model's nose is too short. The shadow ropes are only visible on the ground, and at low altitude. 

Good work on those planes !

Indeed we could use new ones.

how about someone will do fake pilot nose of G...for stock TK B model ?

16 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

Good work on those planes !

Indeed we could use new ones.

how about someone will do fake pilot nose of G...for stock TK B model ?

Thanks. 

I agree we could use new ones.

If someone makes a fake pilot nose for the G... maybe he can also make one for the RB-57E for TW B-57's. 

I would do them but I am not a modder; I don't have the software; and I don't know how to use the software if I had it.

one of the major problems with doing that via fake pilot, is that the skin colors never fully match between the added part and stock LOD, especially with multi-colored camo. You can always tell it's not part of the original model. Something to do with the materials applied in MAX .

What can be told to people is "don't look at it on the ground, be in the cockpit where you belong, and you won't see the issue." Been there, done that.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:46 PM, Wrench said:

one of the major problems with doing that via fake pilot, is that the skin colors never fully match between the added part and stock LOD, especially with multi-colored camo. You can always tell it's not part of the original model. Something to do with the materials applied in MAX .

What can be told to people is "don't look at it on the ground, be in the cockpit where you belong, and you won't see the issue." Been there, done that.

yea.you are right.... New B-57 with dedicated pits needed indeed!

as for Patricia Lynn checked my Big Safari book. No weapons as bomb bay was modified with KA-1 mounted vertically, KA-1 mounted for an oblique view left side, K-477 vertical day/night and Reconflex IR line scanner.

55-4245 was PATRICIA LYNN 1
55-4243 was PATRICIA LYNN 2 (lost 5 August 1965)

55-4249 PATRICIA LYNN 3 (first equipped with terrain following radar) in Nam since December 1964
55-4237 PATRICIA LYNN 4 (in Nam  since December 1964)
55-4264 PATRICIA LYNN 5 (in Nam since 22 November 1965 -  first black paint - later all remaining aircraft also painted. lost on  28 October 1968) - replacement for Patricia Lynn 2 - so there were never 5(five)  B-57E at the same time. 

yups, have everything done; 3 sets of historical decals (all 3 presentation types), all aircraft ini work completed. The only thing I did wrong is, I left the guns in, and allowed "ARMED RECON" mission statements - this is an unarmed, RECON only aircraft. But that's a very simple data ini edit.

Sent off the entire package to Geary, as he's redoing all the skins.

Geary: when you're ready, I"ll pass along the fixed data and loadout inis for it's weapon-less usage

I also have all the 57G TROPIC MOONs updated, ini work, decals, etc. If you're want to, or are going to, do new skins, I'll wait on the re-release.

21 hours ago, Wrench said:

Geary: when you're ready, I"ll pass along the fixed data and loadout inis for it's weapon-less usage

I also have all the 57G TROPIC MOONs updated, ini work, decals, etc. If you're want to, or are going to, do new skins, I'll wait on the re-release.

Rgr. Give me a few days.  Real life has me real busy. Hoping things slow down this week so I can play more.