I've always found the SF1 GUI to be nice and I've been converting it for my personal mod folder. The main menu screen is my modified version of the NACA menu screen mod once available at CheckSix-FR.

img00001.thumb.JPG.f5f8442d11ac2dabdba88a948ce30c50.JPG

img00002.thumb.JPG.a74eb5fd7e10ab6baf340674b94042fd.JPG

img00003.thumb.JPG.be9214ed1fad7ed40bf49207673ed1bd.JPG

img00004.thumb.JPG.e06e6bffce23681beb7e9986d721520d.JPG

img00005.thumb.JPG.aa8da914a3f66896c05a138723a52c70.JPG

img00006.thumb.JPG.5016509b406dc282eca6d355d26851dd.JPG

Is anyone interested in this?

Also, so far I have been unable to convert the campaign screen. The original SF1's CampaignScreen.INI file might have something which makes the game CTD whenever I attempt to enter that screen. If you can help, please feel free to post your ideas. I am getting crazy over this CTD thing. Of course, I have tried to fix various statements and parameters, because a simple copy-and-paste of the .ini file would not work as intended. But in all other cases, I have managed to make all screens work as they should after lots of .ini editing.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

where is the old ini located? I"m not exactly remembering WHICH folder it was (used to?) be in on 1stGens.

I always like the "ops folder" graphic better than SF2's

On 5/8/2018 at 2:05 AM, Wrench said:

where is the old ini located? I"m not exactly remembering WHICH folder it was (used to?) be in on 1stGens.

I always like the "ops folder" graphic better than SF2's

I don't remember, Wrench. The .CAT should be MenuData though.

It makes the game CTD, no matter what. Granted that the SF2 CampaignScreen is different, contains different parameters and so the SF1 version must be updated. But apparently, even with all proper fixes, I fail to make it work. I have no idea how to find the culprit. All other screens work properly, and look beautiful! If I manage to fix everything, I'd really like to release it. The title of the main menu screen is "Strike Fighters: Wings Over World" (once I tried "Wings Over War"), in honor to the WOE/WOV/WOI series. I find it fitting for those who have a large mod folder spanning different world scenarios.

I forgot to mention that I'm also using all music tracks from the SF games. If there's a screen without music in the original SF2 GUI, here you have a unique track for each screen!

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

I have gotten the Campaign screen to load without a crash using the SF1 background. However I do have an issue with transparent menus. See the upper left of the second picture for an example.

img00007.thumb.JPG.253590026193a9aeb45f7e36015afaf6.JPG

img00005.thumb.JPG.c2c8614cbcf1ddc2afbc024cbaff5d1f.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KJakker said:

I have gotten the Campaign screen to load without a crash using the SF1 background. However I do have an issue with transparent menus. See the upper left of the second picture for an example.

That's great! I have fixed the other issue you mentioned, instead. Check your PM!

Thanks to fellow KJakker, I managed to track down the bug and I fixed the campaign screen! It now works flawlessly. I will continue to polish this menu mod and eventually release it. At least, I am going to make someone happy with it (Wrench, looking at you! :biggrin:)

img00001.thumb.JPG.2bc9e94c0b023a5fc874676602c7b82f.JPG

img00002.thumb.JPG.908d1a7d0f3fa1da78a0771885e8e078.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interestng stuff. Since SF2 is no longer developed menu mods can't get out of sync again.

I like the concept of looking at backgrounds that a real pilot would see. One of the missing things in Strike Fighters is the lack of the human aspect in the background. Like ground crew, aircraft preparations and repairs etc. Even if it is just a mild suggestion of such. I am thinking of the European Air War backdrops and the Airfield/Carrier top view in Jane's ATF/USNF with repair indicators.

On the other hand I prefer the bigger buttons of the SF2 menu, and would never use the Comic Sans font for anything.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gerwin said:

I like the concept of looking at backgrounds that a real pilot would see. One of the missing things in Strike Fighters is the lack of the human aspect in the background. Like ground crew, aircraft preparations and repairs etc. Even if it is just a mild suggestion of such. I am thinking of the European Air War backdrops and the Airfield/Carrier top view in Jane's ATF/USNF with repair indicators.

Yeah, I know what you mean! Such details would have added much to the game. This "basic" menu mod of mine has the advantage of being adapt for different eras, by being generic. From late WW2 to nowadays, even though it may look dated. To me it feels more like going through the pages of aviation history. You create a pilot, you choose a scenario and campaign as to experience a part of history. 

EAW could have more details by being limited just to WW2, like Jane's being limited to the 90s/today/future.

16 hours ago, gerwin said:

and would never use the Comic Sans font for anything.

LOL, why's that? It's what is used on the original SF1 menu screens. Anyway, it's very simple to change Comic Sans with another font. However, it must be a font which is present on most PCs, so I cannot use something particular. Just the basic MS fonts like Arial, Impact, etc.

Edited by Menrva

I feel more at home in the oder sf1 menue, it Looks more like the one from Janes ATF. Thank you for this mod, i will definatly enjoy it. 

Best regards 

Martin

i just realized.... this game has been around long enough to have retro styling! :lol:

looking forward to it Menrva, makes me want to dust off my loading screen project..

• Haha 1

I finally decided to push this mod forward, and it's pretty much complete, now. Only some little eye-candy elements need to be reworked. Here below a screenshot of the Mission Editor screen. The original SF1/WOX games never had such a screen so, in keeping the same style of the other menu screens, I have used bits from the original SF1 planning screen, made the green area larger, etc. Everything fits nicely I think. I expect this menu mod to be released in early 2019. It supports the Mission Editor DLC, but no support for the Campaign Customizer DLC, sorry. 

img00002.thumb.JPG.b129303bb860ca2b1f58c24a08ce3f25.JPG 

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Mod is soon to be released. It's not 100% perfect to my likings, so I might plan to update it in the future.

Question; who made the SFP1 menu screens? I don't know who to credit. I know SFP1 is TK's property, but I want to credit the exact guy who made the screens, if possible.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1

also, most stock stuff gets credited to TK if you want to name a person (his show overall) or TW if you wanna keep it general

A year later...

I have updated the menu mod I had made. After I got the Complete Edition of Strike Fighters 2, I thought it was worth to add a new screen for the Campaign Customizer DLC. Not only that, I have fixed an issue with Invoice text missing from the Mercenary Loadout page. The new menu mod package is pretty much ready and will be released this month. Stay tuned.

img00001.thumb.JPG.2359aa1f579cdefbfeee99e0086f5eb9.JPG

img00006.thumb.JPG.2540c4a4c8482b6aaba41dcdf3902d84.JPG

img00004.thumb.JPG.a4c017fddee2f97941a0c7315cfd0c22.JPG

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Latest version of my GUI mod has been uploaded, awaiting admin's approval.

A few days before release, I was lucky to discover some old bugs which I have fixed for good. This mod is pretty much well polished and final. In addition to the support for the Campaign Customizer DLC screen, the mod package now includes additional single missions for you to enjoy! Once the package is approved, be sure to read the changelog.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Menrva said:

Latest version of my GUI mod has been uploaded, awaiting admin's approval.

A few days before release, I was lucky to discover some old bugs which I have fixed for good. This mod is pretty much well polished and final. In addition to the support for the Campaign Customizer DLC screen, the mod package now includes additional single missions for you to enjoy! Once the package is approved, be sure to read the changelog.

Approved.

• Thanks 2