umm

Position Coordinates and the Offset Coordinates numbers

Hello,

Can someone please give me some hint to how to find out the correct position Coordinates and the Offset Coordinates numbers in _TARGETS.ini file. I looked but couldn't find an explanation

[TargetArea071]
Name=HAWK Battery
Position=605375,91250  <----------
Alignment=FRIENDLY
Location=1
ActiveYear=0
Radius=800
Target[001].Type=HAWK_HIPIR
Target[001].Offset=40.000,90.000 <----------
Target[001].Heading=45
Target[002].Type=HAWKL
Target[002].Offset=-10.000,180.000
Target[002].Heading=315

I think that was covered in a post in the Knowledge Base someplace...because I wrote it.

in short, the main coordinate is the position on the map, measured from the southwest corner (lower left) of the map

the individual item offsets are in meters from that 0/0 point

Download gerwin's TFDtool and open the terrains with it. You'll understand everything then. My word!

17 minutes ago, Menrva said:

Download gerwin's TFDtool and open the terrains with it. You'll understand everything then. My word!

Hi Wrench Thanks for your help. I did get the TFDtool and I found out the position Coordinates but I didn't understand hot to find out the Offset Coordinates numbers :stars: it tried a lot of numbers but it didn't show in the map

20 minutes ago, Wrench said:

I think that was covered in a post in the Knowledge Base someplace...because I wrote it.

in short, the main coordinate is the position on the map, measured from the southwest corner (lower left) of the map

the individual item offsets are in meters from that 0/0 point

Thanks for your help I did look in the knowledge forum but didn't find it forgive an old man please can you but the URL for me. Thanks :drinks:

Edited by umm

The offset coordinates can be obtained via TFDtool. Just move to the center of the target (what you call Position Coordinates); the offset is an offset, meaning how much distant that object is from the center of the target. Just read the .html file included in TFDtool, it should explain more. Discover all of the functions. I have learned much from experimenting. Don't forget to zoom in, in TFDtool: only if you zoom in, you can see all of the objects of a target area, as blue/red dots.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

The offset coordinates can be obtained via TFDtool. Just move to the center of the target (what you call Position Coordinates); the offset is an offset, meaning how much distant that object is from the center of the target. Just read the .html file included in TFDtool, it should explain more. Discover all of the functions. I have learned much from experimenting. Don't forget to zoom in, in TFDtool: only if you zoom in, you can see all of the objects of a target area, as blue/red dots.

Thank you for your assistance in explaining how to further work with the program. I tweaked with the controls via your advice and eventually figured it out. 

The TAE also give the offset's from the 0/0 point (and is much better at doing so). How else would you place the object? The TFD is only useful for obtaining the basic X/Y coordinate.

===

Umm, if you could ex-plane (see what I did there?) exactly what you're trying to do, perhaps we can give a more detailed answer

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

The TAE also give the offset's from the 0/0 point (and is much better at doing so). How else would you place the object? The TFD is only useful for obtaining the basic X/Y coordinate.

TFDtool can give you the offsets by dragging with the left mouse button. In other words: click target location, hold mouse button pressed and drag to targetarea origin, then release the mouse butten.

For rotated airfields it does not work; runway must be angle zero.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gerwin said:

TFDtool can give you the offsets by dragging with the left mouse button. In other words: click target location, hold mouse button pressed and drag to targetarea origin, then release the mouse butten.

For rotated airfields it does not work; runway must be angle zero.

Thanks a million :drinks:

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

===

Umm, if you could ex-plane (see what I did there?) exactly what you're trying to do, perhaps we can give a more detailed answer

Your explanation cleared everything👌