A few days ago while I was on duty at work my beloved 3 year old daughter decided to squirt a bottle of lemon drink into our desktop pc at home. Insurance will cover a replacement gaming computer which means an upgrade at least. So my question to you guys is who has managed to get SF2 working on Windows 10 and what did you need to do? Old computer had upgraded  modernish graphics card etc but still ran Windows Vista. Also the HD seems ok thank God, been a while since I backed up! We have a laptop running Windows 10 but never tried to put any games on it.

Edited by dtmdragon

I run Windows 10 on a custom built gaming system and it works fine. The only thing I can think of that I did was look at how Win 10 was structured as a file system; copy my entire SF program from my old system into the "Program Files (x86)" area of my new system, copied all my mod folders in the "users" tab, adjusted my icons to read from there, and have had no hiccups.

There are some things that Windows 10 does that are a little "odd" to me (personal tastes), but it runs my SF, & DCS sims  like a champ.

• Thanks 1

Dan,

SF2 runs great in Windows 10, normally.  On occasion a Microsoft or Nvidia update scrambles things a bit but usually, eventually clears up.

SF1 on the other hand, takes a bit more to get working on Windows 10 but it is possible.

Good luck with and congrats on the new computer.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the info guys sounds like it should be pretty painless

I've got the same question as dtmdragon... So SF2 (or, in my case, SF2V) works on Windows 10 even if installed in Program Files (x86)? I'd like to add the Air & Ground War Expansion mod and I've read that Windows 10 "protects" anything in the Program Files directories, interfering with mods. Is that an issue, or no? Thanks!

Oo! Oo! Mr. Kotter! Related question...

Is it beneficial to run the Large Address Aware tool on the .exe? (Apparently LAA is another thing that doesn't work if the program is installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86).)

In my experience there's no point in using LAA with the SF series, VRAM being a problem much faster than RAM will ever be.

Just one thing to add, performance of SF series depends on mainly the frequency of ONE core, as it was developed (and left in that state) in single core era.  That means it runs better on a 2.4GHz single core CPU than on a quad core 1.6GHz CPU.  If you chose gaming PC and it is important how SF series will run, then choose the one with the biggest clock per CPU core. Also if you try modding, it is advised to install the game and mod folder on an SSD because you will start and quit the game quite a lot ))))

• Like 1

if I run Photoshop and SF2 together, my computer with Windows 10 freezes. it's uncomfortable when you draw skin. If you forgot to save you loose your work. I leave Windows 7 as second system.  First Eagles works very slow and badly on Windows 10 unable to play

5 hours ago, MC.202 said:

I've got the same question as dtmdragon... So SF2 (or, in my case, SF2V) works on Windows 10 even if installed in Program Files (x86)? I'd like to add the Air & Ground War Expansion mod and I've read that Windows 10 "protects" anything in the Program Files directories, interfering with mods. Is that an issue, or no? Thanks!

Not an issue. I have that Mod installed, and it runs fine.

2 hours ago, bazillius said:

if I run Photoshop and SF2 together, my computer with Windows 10 freezes.

so why arent you using mues LOD viewer then? for tga i understand but skins you merely have to save the skin and hit the refresh button in the viewer. Poof, instant view of progress

• Thanks 1

daddyairplanes, cuz it do not show decals. I do a lot of work placing decals. Many aircrafts have isues in theit UV grids, wich can be masked that way. i write this in order to warn. May be it is critical for somebody

Edited by bazillius
  • Like 1

ok gotcha.

on the one hand it would be nice to see decal placement in the LOD viewer. on the other hand i might never fly the sim again if that happened!:lol:

1 hour ago, bazillius said:

daddyairplanes, cuz it do not show decals. I do a lot of work placing decals. Many aircrafts have isues in theit UV grids, wich can be masked that way. i write this in order to warn. May be it is critical for somebody

FE 2 and SF2 should run fine on Win 10

Would suggest if not already - right click the shortcut to the exe and go to the Compatibility tab:

In there tick Run this program as administrator and Disable full-screen optimisations

Then go to Settings Gaming and switch Game mode off.

dtmdragon and others, I upgraded to Windows 10 about a year ago (not running a dedicated gaming system) without even thinking about the potential consequences.

End result was that SF2 (fully merged) runs perfectly fine, with no 'tweaks' on my end!

One caveat however, I'm not using Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic. 

Replacement PC arrived, it's not top of the range but considering it is an insurance replacement for one that was 8 years old I think I did ok out of it :-) 

PC Intel Core i3 8100 Quad Core 3.6Ghz, 8GB RAM. 1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB, WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Now time to re install everything....

• Like 3

I've installed all the SF2 series, and no luck as when I start the game it automatically CTDs upon startup. I tried compatibility mode for windows 8 and still crashes. Any suggestions?

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

I've installed all the SF2 series, and no luck as when I start the game it automatically CTDs upon startup. I tried compatibility mode for windows 8 and still crashes. Any suggestions?

Dear EricJ,

I am running my system on Win10 ver. 1803. I have installed SF2 series, with full five merged with Exp 1&2. I can recall when I installed the game one by one, I decided to launch each of the games once. That allows me to create the respective folders (in "Saved Games") accordingly and makes things easier later-on...

At first, the program totally screw up my resolution, say it's a 1024x768 and then I quit it. There should be a screen named "Program Compatibility Assistant". In that dialogue, it says Windows 10 compatible features have been applied blah blah blah ...

there should be an option named "Run the program" . You just click to run whatever SF2 games it refers to, say: SF2 Europe

Then you'll notice the resolution has been changed and everything would be fine. then you quit the game once again.

There should be a second compatibility assistant dialogue (see the image below, found randomly on Google):

Win10_Program_compati.jpg.39248e1ee911b1bbfcdeae72fbb26266.jpg

Just click This program ran correctly.

That's my case. I 've repeated the above for each of the SF2 game series. After a painful 10 times launch & quit, there's no problem so far.

I hope you'll okay. I'm sorry for lecturing long long piece of text above.

Best regrads,

Yan

Sth to add,

Like Snailman said, installing both the game and the mod folders on an SSD would make things a lot easier. My SF2 launches within a few seconds. Cheers mate!:drinks:

Thanks man, apparently I got it to work by simply restarting my computer. After reinstalling at least three games after deleting them it worked as normal. Now I have to get the rest of my bought content to download.

• Like 1