Timor, North Oceania (1950-2018)

Timor, North Oceania (1950-2018) Terrain
August 13th, 2018 (1st Release)
by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam, Recommended Full-5 Merged
This is a complete remake of the Modern Darwin terrain made by Wrench.
A better and more complete tileset has been added, improving the looks of Northern Australia with the introduction of desert and barren valleys. Various rivers and lakes have been hand-tiled and mimic Real World courses. Now the island of Timor has a lot of bases to take-off from. Numerous target areas, such as emergency airstrips and civilian airports, have been added in order to expand playability, targets of opportunity and year range.

This terrain features a fresh new 250m resolution heightmap (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall it provides the whole terrain with a better look.

The terrain spans from August 17, 1950 (when President Sukarno proclaimed a single unitary Republic of Indonesia) to December 31, 2018; it is designed for fictional clashes between ANZUS/SEATO forces (namely Australia and New Zealand) and a random pool of Red Side countries (namely Indonesia and China).
Targets reflect Real World events as accurately as possible; for instance, some airfields will appear only after a certain year, according to historic changes. If you have SF2NA, naval fleets might spawn in the Timor Sea. Also, Off Map Airbases have been added and long range AI flights can be generated from them. All main targets have been placed accurately in their Real World locations.

Ground Objects are not included. You can obtain the most needed from Wrench's original Modern Darwin terrain release.

>Credits (in no particular order):
-Wrench, for he had the idea of recreating such a scenario in the Strike Fighters world.
-swambast, who provided me with invaluable help in tracking and fixing common and uncommon bugs.
-gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making. If the terrain is pretty accurate to RL it's also because of him. I included his very nice Airfield 7+8 Addon Pack, too.
-mue, for the improved shaders he made, which I have included and reworked for the terrain, and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.
-luk1978, for the waternormal bitmap he shared at the SF2 screenshots thread. Your mods are very interesting!
-MigBuster, I have included some of his great hi-res textures for runways.
-Stary, for the hi-res PTO tileset he made, which I have reworked and expanded.
-Brain32, for the gorgeous VietnamSEA tileset repaint he made, from which I borrowed a few tiles.
-Centurion-1, Spudknocker and tiopilotos, for the impressive tileset they made for the Angola terrain, from which I borrowed some tiles.
-Gepard, for his great tutorials about terrain making, in the SF1 Knowledge Base at CombatACE. It's a gold mine!
-krfrge, who has produced a tutorial for recreating SF2-like planning maps, which prompted me to work on templates and my own high quality planning maps. Thank you very much!
-comrpnt, for his Approach and Airfield Lighting Pack mod packages for SF1 series, which I reworked and included.

Because the original terrain was made and tweaked numerous times by Wrench, I included the ReadMe files from his original packages, to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

>Disclaimer:
This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
Any changes to the terrain package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
This terrain may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.

• Like 2

Very nice Menrva, thanks.

The original version of this terrain is by Edward, but this rebuild of yours is right up to current standards, great job!

Fantastic terrain additions! Thank you for your work and time sacrifice Menrva........................Bravo!

Thanks for the new terrains. They´re fantastic. The graphics are super. I found this inside TimorNO.INI:

[Terrain]
TerrainFullName=Timor, North Oceania
DataFile=TimorNO_DATA.INI
TargetFile=TimorNO_TARGETS.INI
TargetTypeFile=TimorNO_TYPES.INI
MovementFile=TimorNO_MOVEMENT.INI
NationsFile=TimorNO_NATIONS.INI
BriefingText=TimorNO_BRIEFING.INI
DogfightFile=TimorNO_DOGFIGHT.INI
LocationMap=TimorNO_LOCATION.bmp     <---------------------------------------- That one
WaterMap=TimorNO_WATER.bmp
DogfightOnly=FALSE
Longitude=117.70
Latitude=-1.70
MagneticVariation=0.30
GroundObjectTexture=Green
LimitedNations=TRUE
NavalMap=TRUE
TerrainType=TILE_BASED
CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

There´s no such .bmp inside terrain´s archive. Is this for porpose or no? Will affect the game?

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, Wilches said:

Thanks for the new terrains. They´re fantastic. The graphics are super. I found this inside TimorNO.INI:

[Terrain]
TerrainFullName=Timor, North Oceania
DataFile=TimorNO_DATA.INI
TargetFile=TimorNO_TARGETS.INI
TargetTypeFile=TimorNO_TYPES.INI
MovementFile=TimorNO_MOVEMENT.INI
NationsFile=TimorNO_NATIONS.INI
BriefingText=TimorNO_BRIEFING.INI
DogfightFile=TimorNO_DOGFIGHT.INI
LocationMap=TimorNO_LOCATION.bmp     <---------------------------------------- That one
WaterMap=TimorNO_WATER.bmp
DogfightOnly=FALSE
Longitude=117.70
Latitude=-1.70
MagneticVariation=0.30
GroundObjectTexture=Green
LimitedNations=TRUE
NavalMap=TRUE
TerrainType=TILE_BASED
CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

There´s no such .bmp inside terrain´s archive. Is this for porpose or no? Will affect the game?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the question. No, that missing .bmp does not affect the terrain at all. A LocationMap bitmap was included in the stock IsraelME terrain; it's similar to a water bitmap, but with various parts of the terrain coloured differently according to the country/nation, I think. With no such bitmap, the terrain works flawlessly, so don't worry. I just added that string in case I will care to add a LocationMap bitmap in the future.

Ok Menrva! Understood. This terrain is really good by all means. There are lot of undone scenarios to be done. Cheers!

Hello all. Thank you very much for this terrain. I'm fairly new to modding, I've installed the terrain as required, but it's simply not showing up. I have a Full merged install without the Exp packs... Is there something obvious I'm missing? I see this is a "redo" of an older terrain. Do I need that older version aswell?

3 hours ago, Trent0001 said:

Hello all. Thank you very much for this terrain. I'm fairly new to modding, I've installed the terrain as required, but it's simply not showing up. I have a Full merged install without the Exp packs... Is there something obvious I'm missing? I see this is a "redo" of an older terrain. Do I need that older version aswell?

Hi, Trent! The older terrain is not needed, although I didn't include any additional third-party Ground Objects which the older terrain package does include. You can live without such objects, they do not concern your problem.

Since you're new, you might want to have a look at the SF2 Knowledge Base we have here at the forums, to better understand how SF2 works with mods. In this case, the following link explains how to create a Mod Folder where you want to add the addons you have downloaded:  https://combatace.com/forums/topic/62302-what-is-the-mod-folder/

The terrain's folder (TimorNO) must be put inside a Terrains folder (you need to create it, if it doesn't exist). Do not confuse the Mod Folder with the game installation folder. The installed game needs to be clear of any addons. Mods are handled in separate folders. The aforementioned link explains this in detail.

Last but not least, this terrain uses the stock VietnamSEA terrain as a base, and that terrain comes with Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam. If you don't have it, but you have another SF2 title (for instance, Strike Fighters 2: Europe, which comes with a different terrain), you should replace which stock terrain .CAT archive to use for all the custom terrains you have. Have a look at my last post in the following link, and you should understand: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/92310-all-pilots-scramble-new-terrains-inbound/

I hope I have been clear. Let me know if you have any problems. Have a nice day!

Edited by Menrva

Hi Menrva. Thanks heaps for your prompt reply. Ok, I've read the Knowledge base articles, got my custom mods folder set up. I've got a full merged install with all the theatres. Updated to July 2013. I've got quite a few mods working, lots of RAAF stuff because I'm from Australia. 😉 I've got your terrain TimorNO in my /Terrains folder in the mod folder NOT the main game folder. But, it just doesn't show. Only the standard Desert, VietnamSEA, GermanyCE, and IcelandNA show up. Strangely, the only other thing not working are decals on F-111 "PIG PACK". All other mods I've installed are ok. It's probably something simple. I'll recheck the folder structure.

Ok. Scratch that. IT'S WORKING!! I'll get the ground objects from the original. Thanks for your help! 🖒

3 hours ago, Trent0001 said:

Ok. Scratch that. IT'S WORKING!! I'll get the ground objects from the original. Thanks for your help! 🖒

Great! You're welcome! 😉

Hi again Menrva. I've been collecting ground objects and everything is going fine. One thing though, (and I'm assuming it's something I've done), several of the airbase types have stopped appearing. Eg: Darwin Int'l.. Building objects at the base are there and the airbase runways etc show in TFD Edit, but not in game. I thought I'd stuffed up your Terrain folder, So I deleted it and reinstalled from original .zip, but still not showing. Some do, some don't. The only real changes I've made are installing new Ground Objects and tweaking graphics.. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Trent0001 said:

Hi again Menrva. I've been collecting ground objects and everything is going fine. One thing though, (and I'm assuming it's something I've done), several of the airbase types have stopped appearing. Eg: Darwin Int'l.. Building objects at the base are there and the airbase runways etc show in TFD Edit, but not in game. I thought I'd stuffed up your Terrain folder, So I deleted it and reinstalled from original .zip, but still not showing. Some do, some don't. The only real changes I've made are installing new Ground Objects and tweaking graphics.. Any thoughts?

Well, the terrain uses the VietnamSEA.cat archive as a base for stock objects like the runways and most buildings (the only runway models you see should be the two custom ones made by gerwin). If you do not have SF2 Vietnam, you must change which .cat archive to use inside the TimorNO.ini file. Have a look at my last post in the following link, and you should understand: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/92310-all-pilots-scramble-new-terrains-inbound/?tab=comments#comment-746136

I had already posted this link in a previous post. I reckon I never write this stuff in the ReadMe file, so it's my mistake if new users encounter those issues. Let me know if you solve the problem with my suggestion. Otherwise, it would be a very strange bug.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

Hi mate. Thanks for your fast reply again. Nah it's, all cool. The Knowledge base has been good. I wouldn't call myself new, lolz 😛. New to SF2 yeah, but not to modding in general. I noticed the reference in the TimorNo_DATA.ini to VietnamSEA.cat and I've got all versions installed together. I agree it's weird. I thought somehow the default airbases were being "overridden" by something I'd installed, but it's looking like maybe a _TARGETS.ini problem. I swapped a few objects with newer / updated ones and added China to a campaign I made for it. 😆 I didn't touch Darwin Int'l though or the other airbases that aren't appearing. Gone experiment more.. I'll try installing the terrain again minus any changes I've made. Like I said, it's showing up in TFD Editor so it's really weird .. ☺

*EDIT - STANDBY.. I'll let ya know *

Edited by Trent0001
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trent0001 said:

Hi mate. Thanks for your fast reply again. Nah it's, all cool. The Knowledge base has been good. I wouldn't call myself new, lolz 😛. New to SF2 yeah, but not to modding in general. I noticed the reference in the TimorNo_DATA.ini to VietnamSEA.cat and I've got all versions installed together. I agree it's weird. I thought somehow the default airbases were being "overridden" by something I'd installed, but it's looking like maybe a _TARGETS.ini problem. I swapped a few objects with newer / updated ones and added China to a campaign I made for it. 😆 I didn't touch Darwin Int'l though or the other airbases that aren't appearing. Gone experiment more.. I'll try installing the terrain again minus any changes I've made. Like I said, it's showing up in TFD Editor so it's really weird .. ☺

Very good to know that you've read through the Knowledge Base. A lot of users don't and then claim themselves to be expert modders. Keep me posted and let me know.

As for the custom campaign, I'm interested to hear more about it. Not many modders are willing to build campaigns anymore. I had some campaigns for this terrain in the works, RAAF & RNZAF vs. Indonesia over Timor, set in 1950, 1965, 1975 and 1999. Unfortunately, a good campaign needs good aircraft, and there are many needing new skins and upgrades. We'll see what the future brings...

Edited by Menrva

Ok it's definitely something I've done. I'll swap out files till I find it. I have a campaign, still testing as I'm not 100% on the movement / strategic nodes etc.. It has: RAAF, RNZAF, RAF, USN, USMC in a coalition against TNI-AU & PLAAF. I've done considerable decal work on both Indonesian and Chinese aircraft, Su-27, J-11, Su-30MK and some others.

Edited by Trent0001

20 minutes ago, Trent0001 said:

I have a campaign, still testing as I'm not 100% on the movement / strategic nodes etc.. It has: RAAF, RNZAF, RAF, USN, USMC in a coalition against TNI-AU & PLAAF. I've done considerable decal work on both Indonesian and Chinese aircraft, Su-27, J-11, Su-30MK and some others.

Seems very interesting. Yeah, I never understood how strategic nodes work exactly. Common users think that to create a campaign is a very easy task. But for a campaign to be complex and play beautifully, it takes a lot of in-game testing and playing. When you feel like, you might want to create your own thread about the campaign. Someone else could be interested.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

Terrain package updated to Version 1.01.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1