MadJeff

MadJeff Lives! What's new in the land of flight sims?

Man, it has been awhile. I'm sure most of you won't even remember me, but I was the guy that kicked this place off back in the day. =) It has been awhile! I see there are still a lot of the old names and faces I remember still milling around. :)

So, I've been out of flight sims for a long time, but have been getting the itch to get back in the last year and looking for some recommendations to dip my toe back in the waters. What's the best combat flight sim out there right now that doesn't take a year of training to jump back in? No disrespect to DCS, but I want something I can jump back in a little at a time as I'm pretty busy with the business most of the time, but I really need a hobby again. :P

Suggestions? I'm partial to newer modern aircraft but am open to anything really.

Looking forward to getting to know the new (to me anyway) faces around here!

• Like 1

holy crap!!

good to see you again! 

I joined CombatACE back in 2011, but then I discovered it was once known as BioHazard Central. So glad to meet you, MadJeff! A lot of new faces and modders to know, and plenty of new mods to choose from, for your Strike Fighters experiences. So... welcome back, Sir!

As for suggestions, Strike Fighters actually plays better with older aircraft. Modern aircraft's avionics can't be reproduced properly, not to mention a game bug explained properly at this thread: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/88255-help-with-dealing-a-missile/?tab=comments#comment-712124. I recreated/remade some terrains/scenarios which might be of your interest, if you want to fly planes from the 1980s and 1990s. Scenarios set in the 2000s can be frustrating because of the bug above.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

Wow,  hi MadJeff not much new in these parts outside of what modders are putting through.

Oh TK has now just put up all the SF2 games by $10 each - and if you don't know the Strike Fighters and Wings Over series was replaced by the Strike Fighters 2 series from around 2009 with the last patch now being 2013 - but they were DX10 and changes to work better on multicore CPUs at least.

SF2 North Atlantic might be worth trying for starters if you like the Tomcat and intercepting Soviet bombers.

DCS has this year seen some big changes with a new DX11 engine and although most modules are Falcon 4 learning curve,  there are exceptions like the "Flaming Cliffs 3" module (soon to be re badged as "Modern Air Combat" with more jets) - these are closer to SF lite in terms of learning.

Wait, Jeff is back?!

Yells at the family over my shoulder, "Hurry, pull the RV around, give it a quick wash, and then get my fishing gear together it's vacation time! Church can wait honey Jeff is back."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Wait, Jeff is back?!

Yells at the family over my shoulder, "Hurry, pull the RV around, give it a quick wash, and then get my fishing gear together it's vacation time! Church can wait honey Jeff is back."

Dude, you need a hobby. Oh, wait.... :)

Glad to see the place kicking better than ever! I think you may see me around a bit more, hell I've even been looking at HOTAS gear. =)

13 hours ago, Wrench said:

holy crap!!

good to see you again! 

Wrench! You too!

You know a legend has arrived when other legendary members are excited too. I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

Welcome back sir!

Gone_Fishing_Fly_Fisherman_Wood_Sign_large.jpg 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MigBuster said:

Almost forgot this http://www.combatairpatrol2.com/

That one looks interesting! Anyone messed with it enough to recommend? 

As bleeding-edge tech-wise as I usually am, I've actually held off on the whole VR headset thing so far.  Been waiting for the tech to mature a bit more, at least until they released a wireless versions of the Vive. Been curious if any flight sim developers were embracing the new tech.