Sign in to follow this  
Arrow

AIM 7 Sparrow F4-D: Can't get a Boresight lock in the Avro Arrow

Well I knew it was going to be a challenge using the F4-Ds with the CF-105 with it not having an aiming sight, but I've only gotten a boresight radar lock twice. Meanwhile my wingmen can shoot down the Frescos with them like fish in a barrel; 2nd time I obtained a lock, one of my pilots had that Mig going down in flames before I could launch! The only thing I can think of is that maybe what I think is my boresight radar center might not be correct; hard to be certain with the CF-105's funky cockpit design. So I guess there's the possibility I'm not painting those Migs very effectively. Meanwhile the growl for the AIM-4 Falcons, never seems to reach the right pitch.

I'd post a screenshot to show what I think should be the correct location of the Arrow's boresight radar center, but I'm returning to Strike Fighters after a long absence and I'm not even sure how to do a screen capture - doh! Anyhow...if anyone here's had experience using the AIM 7 Sparrow F4-Ds in the Arrow, I'd appreciate any feedback as to what the correct technique is.

[Edit] BTW I'm loving flying the Avro Arrow.  Really a dream come true, so thanks to all the modders here who put some work into it!

Edited by Arrow

for screen captures, prtsc usually saves to your screenshot folder.

Never mind, figured it out. I had indeed incorrectly assumed my boresight center was lower on the CF-105 Arrow cockpit windshield than it is. I'm locking up those Frescos and picking them off with ease now. Unfortunately the bear fighter jocks in them can really get on your tail and shoot accurately. Had to bail out once  -  at least I ejected over land!  :ok:  I'm going to have to do some experimenting with getting the right speed/acceleration on closure while painting them. In my 1st encounters, I'm bleeding off too much speed and can't accelerate out fast enough to shake any Mig that jumps on my tail.  Fun stuff!  :biggrin:

Edited by Arrow