Sign in to follow this  
Arrow

SF2 Euro: Are the Beagles the IL-28REB model?

I ask because the Beagles I'm up against are definitely breaking the radar lock on my AIM 7 Sparrows, as if they have some jamming capability. Shots with the AIM 7-D that are effectively locking up and hitting Mig 21s and Mig 19s are woefully missing the IL-28s. That's occurring despite my painting them with my boresight radar more accurately and longer than the Migs. When I go to the [F9] missile view,  it looks like my missiles' lock is being jammed and it veers off, downward short of the target.  I'm playing the Red Thunder campaign and I was under the impression that the IL-28REB wasn't in service as early as 1962?

Or is there some other countermeasure on those early Beagles that I'm just not aware of?

it's a standard Beagle, no subvariant, not ecm or countermeasures (extract the data ini and see -- it's in object cat 12). what it may be doing is "beaming" the missile; turning towards it and forcing an overshoot via the range gate.

or, you're shooting from too far way. 7D's are pretty shitty

3 hours ago, Wrench said:

it's a standard Beagle, no subvariant, not ecm or countermeasures (extract the data ini and see -- it's in object cat 12). what it may be doing is "beaming" the missile; turning towards it and forcing an overshoot via the range gate.

or, you're shooting from too far way. 7D's are pretty shitty

Well I'm definitely not being beamed, because I can see in my boresight acquisition screen that I'm in the six of the beagle - have Bunyaps Weapons Delivery guide & follow its procedures faithfully. :)  That sophisticated & large tail turret on the IL-28 should be presenting an optimal reflection. I'm also within 5nm - 3nm when firing, which has been optimal for striking  the Migs with a Sparrow. It's weird; what works reliably with Migs, just doesn't cut it with the Beagles!

Edited by Arrow

Hi. We need to know what weapon - by means of stock or modded one - are you using and on what plane (stock/ mod)  what altitude (!) what range.   Need to know reconstruct the situation.

Besided AIM7D is POS, lock break is not a weapon but a radar deficiency. Especially at low altitude. Guidance break however comes from low tracking str of radar (either because of noise out of low altitude/ or jamming str of on board devices) that causes the otherwise well shot and homing missile to lose track and go ballistic.

The Weapon is the AIM 7-D Sparrow from Weapons Pack 2. The Aircraft I'm flying is the CF-105 Avro Arrow by FastCargo. The Beagles I was up against were at roughly 5,000 and 8,000 feet. I fired from as far as 5 nm, as close as 1.3 nm and a number of distances between those.  Like I said, the missile performed admirably against 2 Mig Fishbeds, even slightly turning to match their last second attempts to evade.

Edited by Arrow

no worries...count this as bad luck...And forget. Fly again next mission. small s..t happens all the time...

Ah... and next time  use Crusader :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

1 hour ago, yakarov79 said:

no worries...count this as bad luck...And forget. Fly again next mission. small s..t happens all the time...

Ah... and next time  use Crusader :biggrin: 

Well I have had the same result in 2 missions now, in which I fired all 4 of the Sparrows against Beagles.

I'm flying the CF-105 in a what-if campaign during 1962 using SF2 Euro, so it won't be possible for me to jump to a Crusader. I'd consider running another campaign as a comparison, but as sad as it sounds the RCAF didn't acquire a jet capable of carrying semi-active or active radar missiles until the CF-18 in 1982. I'm aware of the F-104S with it's capability for Sparrows, but no way in hell I'd consider flying a campaign with the Zipper; not a fan at all, not to mention it claimed the lives of 39 RCAF pilots despite never being flown in combat.

I am considering running another what-if with a RCAF version of the F-105 Thunderchief, but to the best of my knowledge the Thud only ever carried AIM-9s. Still, it'll be nice to do some real mud moving.  :)

[Edit] If it helps shed any light on this...I downloaded another CF-105 (confusing because there's 4 different versions in the downloads section) that added the more historically accurate and attractive RL201 -through- RL206 liveries. However, when using a CF-105 with one of those liveries I could never get a lock with any missile (radar or heat-seeker) on any type of aircraft? Needless to say, I didn't use any of those RL### model numbers for my campaign and instead used a model from the original download.

Edited by Arrow