Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Here's My Question about the F-35

There's an interesting debate taking place just about anywhere aviation enthusiasts hang out on the F-35 vs A-10. Maybe myself and others are asking the wrong question. Perhaps it shouldn't be one vs the other but how well they can both work together. Anyway all that aside my question about the F-35 doing CAS is that can they use their guns to engage infantry or would that be a war crime if they did? I've a story of a USMC F/A-18 pilot. That was almost a war criminal because he strafed edit: enemy units with his cannons. He beat it out by saying he aiming for the radio pack. Even though he wasn't charged for crimes he was still severely punished.

I would call bull.

A similar debate is on using the .50 cal on troops. and old joke is that your aiming at the web gear or canteens not the enemy soldier.

in reality, US troops are generally taught to use escalating force. you start with a rifle round not a MOAB. BUT... if your a gunner on a 50 cal and its what you have handy, then you dont downgrade to a rifle, you engage.

in the case of the Marine pilot, he may have nearly caused a blue on blue incident, or exceeded minimums while engaging (flew too low for example).

as to the use against the enemy infantry: what difference if they are killed by 20mm (the lesser use of force in this case) or 500 lbs of high explosive and shrapnel?

final bit: the term OPFOR as spelled out typically means own forces playing the part of enemy for training exercises. actual enemy is referred to as the enemy (or haji, goat f***ers or other derogatory term of the day). if the pilot engaged the OPFOR as traditionally used, no amount of justification would save that pilot at the court martial!

• Thanks 1

What DA said.  Strafing runs are called in common enough with fighters, and you can even see one on Speed and Angels with "Faceshot" and his RIO doing a strafing run in support of troops in contact.  20mm is absolutely legal to fire at infantry.

• Thanks 1