Sign in to follow this  
1Patriot-of-many

Switch radar target and have matching enemy desciption?

Is there anyway to configure the keys/joystick buttons, so when I switch a radar target and lock to it the enemy description box is matching with the target I selected? I know I'm missing something somewhere, my enemy description box doesn't match the target I've selected on radar....

it don't with radar

only visual gives the target info

should be stated in the manual (downloadable someplace on the 3rd Wire site, albeit for SF/Wo*, but the commands and operations are the same)

Something else to be aware of; the Boresight radar mode can auto-lock a friendly target with no information warning you of that.  I recommend mapping the 'Deselect the current radar target' command to your HOTAS or some other convenient device, so you won't be committing any unwanted fratricide.

Thanks Guys, I was about ready to tear out the last of my hair trying to figure this out. Something the developers missed I guess, It seems strange having to scroll through a hundred targets via the visual targets to get to the one you want. A mouse cursor or something would make it a lot easier to pick out the target you want to lock on to.

29 minutes ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

Something the developers missed I guess, It seems strange having to scroll through a hundred targets via the visual targets to get to the one you want. A mouse cursor or something would make it a lot easier to pick out the target you want to lock on to.

Well to be fair to Third Wire, for the majority of the radar avionics modeled in this game, conveying the sort of information you're suggesting for a radar lock wouldn't be that realistic - probably not even for a "normal" setting. Until you advance to the targeting radars available in the early 4th gen aircraft in this series like the F-14 or F-15, the most the radars provided was a single target acquisition strobe. Even those early 4th gen radars only symbolically conveyed a bit more info. There were some specialized exceptions with more info such as the Intruder's DIANE, but it was ground targeting. I'm not sure if it's in the download section here anymore, but if you google Buynaps Range Opertations Guide, there's an excellent section on performing an intercept with the Phantom F-4E radar. It illustrates a lot of what a pilot had to do with those early radars, to tactfully maneuver into position on a target where they're close enough to ID it. 

Have a look at the controls options.

Theres a command which makes the aircraft you have locked with radar your visual target ( or something to that effect)

And this gives you the info box for the tgt..

Quick look into the Default ini revealed :

SELECT_RADAR_TARGET=CTRL+R

BTW

if you mess up the Default.ini for some reason

simply delete it

The game will create a new one after re-start

Crusader, I'm not sure what you are saying, edit the INI file to have it the same as radar lockon? Where is the .INI file. That might the way to do it though I've made my controls completely different ........

With respect to your original question - no, the game will not immediately display the information of the radar locked target in the lower right of the screen.  What you need to do to see that information is related to what Crusader posted.  Once you've locked the target, you have to hit "visually acquire radar target," which by default is "CTRL+R."  From here, you can direct your wingmen to attack your target, or otherwise ID your target.  If you drop lock and change to a different target, you'll have to hit CTRL+R again to acquire the new target visually.  Of course, this is a little unrealistic, since you can hit CTRL+R at whatever range you've acquired the target, be it 5NM or 150NM with a powerful enough radar.  The closest thing the radar alone will give you is the IFF of whatever you locked up, assuming the radar is capable of doing so (e.g., AN/AWG-9 in TWS).  Given this, you'll be able to see if whatever you locked up is squawking friendly or enemy, but you won't actually know what you've locked up.  With respect to button functionality, you shouldn't need to edit the .ini directly, since you can adjust your controls in-game, but you can check to see what binding is set for visually acquiring the radar target, and change as necessary.  Hope this helps.

Okay that seems to work fine, Next stupid question...... When I use a weapon like maverick or a LGB, when I try to switch back to the radar screen the weapon screen stays up. How do I switch back to the radar screen?

change weapons

Tried that, still can't either get ground or air radar to come back even just selecting gun or an air to air weapon. Playing the Desert Storm mod, guess I should try vanilla to see if it's just the mod issue.

Tried that too, still the laser guided screen doesn't revert to any radar. I'm stumped. Appears to only do that in the Desert Storm mod. Any other suggestions?

Okay thanks for all the suggestions and help, It appears to be a problem when using easy radar. I thought for :")( s and giggles i would try normal radar, the problem doesn't happen there. It happened with the IRAN mod too. Still testing, but when I used the F111 in desert storm mod, easy radar, can't get it switched back to radar once I use laser guided weapons. When I tried the F111 with normal radar, I could switch to no weapons then the radar would be normal again.  Bummer because I like using the easy settings, just need to get used to normal for at least radar.  Will update as I try different planes and other mod.