Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Air Strike (Bruce Willis)

My thoughts as well - although might not be a bad film,  I dunno..............but not to say I recommend going to see if it turns out to be rubbish. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm sure it'll be direct to video/streaming

I must say, it's nice to see Nells, Nates, and I-16s, even if all CGI

I'll give it a shot just for the flying scenes, but we'll see how well it plays on the US. There's not a lot of interest in years of the Sino-Japanese conflict before it became a full-on global war, so I'm guessing while there will be some interest, I think it'll be relegated to us enthusiasts, history buffs, and the simply curious.

Could be interesting, if for no other reason than its about events that get very little attention. Though I do need to say the effects are god awful... it almost looks like a mid/late 90's made for TV B movie.

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

Fan Bingbing? great name - wont be forgetting that in a hurry

He looks a bit old and ragged now, but he's still a very good action man. !!

The film has so many bugs and is suspected of laundering money, so don't waste your time:mellow:

Good Lord! Hollywood always gotta YUK-IT-UP!!!!!!

There are plot holes big enough to drive a Leopard A2 through, and at times, the translated dialogue will definitely make you go “whaaaaatttttt?”, others will make you laugh out loud, some will make you call “BULLSHIRT”………………..but then there are the plus points.

The special effects are wicked good, and the flying scenes top notch. If nothing else, the movies showcases the impunity with which the Japanese Air Forces were able to lay waste to the Chinese countryside at will, and the absolute lethality with which the Zero ruled the skies. Say what you will, but this movie exemplifies why not many people that hadn’t seen it, didn’t believe the Zero existed.

There are some scenes that will leave you open-mouthed in awe for the skill that was put into making and shooting it, and at the same time leave you with a very graphical representation of what a hellish time that was for the Chinese population, and the often impossible measures taken to stay alive.

The acting at times is stilted, over the top, and just as you start to wax cynical, a scene will hit you square between the eyes, and just for a second, you live that character’s reality. Having seen it up close & personal in other places (and other times), the hard part for me to watch was the populace in the movie just trying to survive, with the world going up in flames around them.

Is it a propaganda film? Yep.

Is it nationalistic? Yep.

Is it going to win any awards for “best picture?” Nope.

Is it good? Yep.

It succeeds at being entertaining, thought provoking, visually beautiful (in my opinion), and ultimately better than it will ever be given credit for. If you understand the language, I would hazard a guess that the untranslated version has things in it that are lost in translation. In any version, it’s worth watching.

Lastly, I’m sure Bruce Willis spent some time laughing over his lines, but in the final analysis, he didn’t hurt/help the film in one direction or the other. It stands on its own merits.

I think it was awful...