Arrow

Russian Air Transport Shot Down by Syrian Air Defenses, but Russia Blames Israel?

A Russian Ilyushin IL 20 transport was shot down over the Mediterranean by Syrian Air Defenses, but Russia places the blame on Israel who were conducting air strikes with F-16's in the same region. Here's 3 different news reports:

BBC News     Military.com     The Military Times

I guess it comes down to whether you accept that 1 minute is, or isn't adequate warning for an impending air strike. Or whether you believe Syrian ground forces have the sophistication to have averted it with better warning. Based on all I've read about the Syrian civil war, I'm skeptical that official Syrian forces have such capabilities.

Surveillance aircraft...

Somehow far from Russia's border... 

10 hours ago, Arrow said:

A Russian Ilyushin IL 20 transport was shot down over the Mediterranean by Syrian Air Defenses, but Russia places the blame on Israel who were conducting air strikes with F-16's in the same region. Here's 3 different news reports:

BBC News     Military.com     The Military Times

I guess it comes down to whether you accept that 1 minute is, or isn't adequate warning for an impending air strike. Or whether you believe Syrian ground forces have the sophistication to have averted it with better warning. Based on all I've read about the Syrian civil war, I'm skeptical that official Syrian forces have such capabilities.

More than sufficient warning if you shouldn't be there in the first place-but that is debatable. As far as their capabilities are concerned, they have brought a Sufa down previously, if memory serves.

don`t shoot as long as there are friendlies in the area because guidance systems can not be fully trusted that`s what i know

It wasn't a transport.  It was an electronic surveillance aircraft and part of the Soviet, er Russian, air contingent in Syria.  The aircraft was clearly part of the Soviet, er Russian, air effort against the rebel stronghold and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time as the Syrian air defense artillery forces let loose against the Israeli strike against Iranian forces in Syria.  

The Syrians locked up and fired an SA-5 on roughly the threat bearing and took out the Soviets, er Russians.  

I was having flashbacks reading this all - IL-20 Coot and SA-5.  Old systems.  

So the Syrians did similar to what one of our own CG's did some years ago in the Persian Gulf, i.e., while under attack locked up and fired on an aircraft on the threat bearing.  Oops.....

Given that in this case the Russians were engaged against our common enemies (ISIS, Al Queda, Nusra front, etc.) we were on the same side, sorta.  being taken out by your own really sucks.  

I salute some brave airmen taken out in the course of their duty. 

Syrians decide to shoot first and ask questions latter... somehow this is Israel's fault... um... ok...

How much vodka is required before that makes sense?

On 19.09.2018 at 7:00 AM, cosmoseed said:

don`t shoot as long as there are friendlies in the area because guidance systems can not be fully trusted that`s what i know

Yup, fired missile isn't friendly for anyone.

• Like 1