Durasoul

Proposing a new detailed model of SAAB 39 Gripen

Dear all,

As the title implies, I am writing proposing a new detailed model of the SAAB JAS-39 Gripen for future modding projects to our modders in the community.

Rationale:

"Who can deny the joy it brings

When you've found that special thing..."

Seriously, one could hardly forget the satisfaction and enjoyment that brought by a well-built model like the Mirage F1 series available here (I said that before) doing all the ground attack stuff, SEAD,.. That might serves as our special way to honor the great designs; maybe also the innovative, risk-taking designs in the aviation history. 

Secondly, it's easy to see why a multi-role airframe is more preferable to a pure fighter. We DO expect a model that we've devoted our time on its development to be able to perform missions other than just CAP, fighter sweep and interception all day long. Moreover, it could serve as a beautiful weapons test bed for some of our weapon systems modders around.

To me,  the Gripen is the next Viper(F-16). I believe this project would spawn an airframe that would fit many future scenarios/terrains projects offered by our friends.

How can I help:

I am readily available to offer my help to whom it may show his interest on my proposed project on the Gripen. My philosophy on SF2 modding/playing is that I would prefer a model that has acceptable details and accuracy up to the best available data we could collect than something Looking fancy but everything else we have to guess... It doesn't concern me if it's an early model Gripen say 39A as long as it's accurate.

I 've found some resources showing details of the Gripen. Due to our site policy on the copyrighted materials I would not post them here but I could "lend" some of them just PM me. 

A few examples:

JAS39Gripen_02.thumb.jpg.16af4bfa292dd1203c17f965d45eed23.jpg

JAS39Gripen_03.thumb.jpg.bc26d905ec6a776f76856dcfcff05427.jpg

JAS39Gripen_04.thumb.jpg.874bdfca3096c0f3ee33209b8d83ce41.jpg

• Like 3

You may wish to mention what your skill sets are in modding as to your help. it is deduced from the language in the post that modelling is not amongst those skills as otherwise you would have posted WIP shots

good luck on this project, but as with all things that which you do not do yourself depends on the time and interest of the others

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daddyairplanes said:

You may wish to mention what your skill sets are in modding as to your help. it is deduced from the language in the post that modelling is not amongst those skills as otherwise you would have posted WIP shots

good luck on this project, but as with all things that which you do not do yourself depends on the time and interest of the others

I am sorry for haven't made myself clear. And that's true, I am in fact a newbie for SF2. I have been downloading and testing out some of the mods available here by other members.

My "modding" skills are very limited that could barely be referred to as "modding" skills: just managing mod folders, mod folder structures, looking up data in the _DATA.ini; adding sound file entries to the SOUNDLIST.ini etc. That is the reason why I proposed the aircraft to the MODDERs so that they could decide whether or not to go ahead and build it.

To be honest, I agreed 100% with you that I could only finally get this beautiful model that i want so bad only if others share the same interest with me. 

My point is that I could help by gathering technical data(that is available to us), detailed drawings, cockpit details, avionics etc.  

even I don't know how to do some 3D CAD things/building 3D models. 

Edited by Durasoul

it's not likely to happen

there are literally less than "the fingers on one hand" worth of MAX gurus making airplanes. More than likely, the Grippen will be "as it is" for the rest of time.

And the MAX Gurus, they pretty much DO know how to research the shapes, capabilities and so forth

The question to be asked is: 

Is there something majorly wrong with the Grippen we have??

@Wrench

Thanks :ok: Kevin, you've always been so kind and helpful. I deeply appreciate that.

I lacked the understanding that we have few 3ds max modelers who work on airplanes. I thought there were more. And I don't want to be rude and impolite for pointing out this and that of someone's work. 

Maybe later on when I further try out the Gripen I will attach shots to better illustrate my points.

@daddyairplanes

Thank you for the frank advice. Now I can see I have to overcome that little challenge and start learning 3ds max things. It's true that we cannot expect others who would always have the models we desire. 

The Saab 39 Gripen-C for Strike Fighters is one of the better models out there, especially if you use the The Scandinavian Front version that have realistic high fidelity weapons and updated textures.
I would prefer any 3D artists we have to work on planes that do not exist in SF2 rather than try and improve something that honestly does not need to be improved upon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, JonathanRL said:

The Saab 39 Gripen-C for Strike Fighters is one of the better models out there, especially if you use the The Scandinavian Front version that have realistic high fidelity weapons and updated textures.
I would prefer any 3D artists we have to work on planes that do not exist in SF2 rather than try and improve something that honestly does not need to be improved upon.

JonathanRL,

I see. I'm not using that model... :( :(

I 'll try the one in the Scandinavian Front pack before making my comments. Jonathan you are one of the modders that I respect.

Mates,

I know I seem to be picky on stuff and that makes me look like a prick. I am sorry.

I am not intended to offense anybody.

(new topic)

I saw somebody mentioned about the rearward-firing torpedo; funny looking ECM pod before. And many thanks to Ravenclaw he made the ELT/555 and the Remora pod available to us. 5ba86cdd5828a_ELT-555ECMPod.thumb.jpg.0d8c590c8935c4e14172ab11c06306dd.jpg

And there is a rare(to my little knowledge) ECM pod: The Westinghouse QRC-335-3 ECM pod, circa 1966-68.

QRC-335-3_66.thumb.jpg.506684ef41f6b06f6a94037fedda533e.jpg

P.S. My intention has always been sharing my views, things I have collected among ourselves- the aviation enthusiasts.

this QRC-335-3 looks like the AN/ALQ-101 V6 , the upper cable tray is missing , thats why the wiring is exposed ,  and 2 antennas are missing

i assume this is the AN/ALQ-101 V5

i have made the AN/ALQ-101 V6 so to remove the 2 rear antennas is no problem

Image2.thumb.jpg.95f0f48081d9f1e9eea3e4938d1cc03b.jpg

like this , i will finish it for you

Image2.thumb.jpg.791b43dc93bfc9061ef9ed94f525c894.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

damn.... , i get old , i made this pod already it is the AN/ALO-101 (V)3 , i realsed it with one of my F-4 packs (i think)

in any case here is the pod  ALQ-101v3.7z

• Thanks 1

Mh... Give me a moment 

@+jonathan

Can you pls send me the updated skin for the C model in a PM, let me Show you something 

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird
  • Like 1

Before my hardware crash, there was a "personal" upgrade project ongoing, cause i didnt liked the canopy shape, to many edges, edited some parts here and there, the whole intake, rounded up some edges and added cockpit details.

5bc656182ff17_JAS-3907.thumb.jpg.6277e201d4bed94546d9b59662d64262.jpg

5bc6561bd1f81_JAS-3908.thumb.jpg.12ef13e14d84af86a44678398c792c93.jpg

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JosefK said:

At least we know the C model can carry a couple of 4-packs of SDBs, Meteors & IRIS-Ts... from https://mediaportal.saabgroup.com/#/items/23898:

_SKA5138.thumb.jpg.d991dbce1cd1d58fd909b996b9270a41.jpg

JosefK,

I am organising a bunch of information on the loadouts, i need to confirm a few more details so I'm guessing I'll need 3-4 days. I will finish it for you.

(For the above)

I have sources indicate that Air to surface weapons used by the Swedish Air Force's Viggens were also integrated with the Gripens.

For example, Gripens can take 4x ARAK 70 rocket pods (??M/71 Raketkapsel) on underwing pylons (integration work completed in 1996; operational)

Therefore, the multiple bomb rack could also been integrated for use with Gripens. What I really concern is that those loadouts on Airshow Gripens e.g. Gripen-NG demonstrators seem to be unrealistic.

I will finish it asap.

Yan

• Thanks 1

Thanks much.

The tentative plan is this:

• Goal of a release of v 1.0 by 1 June 2019, at least one beta by 1 March 2019.  Remember, I have a lot to learn & create in putting my concept to reality.
  • The Dhmaris will have C model, and have South African help in the form of C model too.
  • The Canadians & Swedes will lead a UN peacekeeping mission to deescalate tensions and the Canadians will have E-model Gripens.  But they'll eventually require... heavyweight help.
  • The Parani will be using some Chinese fighters, and phasing out MiGs due to the MiG battle record against 4th gen US & European built fighters and price.
  • Like 3

Also as I start prepping repaints - obviously necessary for the above project - a Gripen paint kit would be much appreciated.  Please.

Now I could just graft Dhmari & Canadian decals to currently existing skins like the USAF pak out there, and leaning in that direction... but be nice to do more than that.  No rush though, see above.

• Thanks 1

I am going to compile the information on the loadouts by aircraft model with mission types, for example:

Swedes, JAS-39C, Strike //October 2001 Precision Guided Munitions were cleared for use on Gripens; LITENING pod is operational 1st time on Gripens in 2003)

EDIT: 4x GBU-12 Paveway II/GBU-10 Paveway II, 2x Rb-74 (9L Sidewinder)/Rb-98 IRIS-T, Centerline tank, LITENING pod

like this

JAS-39C_Gripen_Strike03.thumb.png.ac914a413c4d4da00b7989d18b423550.png

other team mates may work on the LOADOUT.ini accordingly.

Thanks.

Yan

P.S. Suggestions are of course welcomed.

Edited by Durasoul
  • Like 2

Volker,

It seems that the Flygvapnet is conducting tests with the GBU-39 small diameter bombs on Gripens. Any chance of adding them into our upcoming weapons pack?:rolleyes:

gbu-39sdb-2s-6.thumb.jpg.a929cfeac8088b6c60ac12dbf904546e.jpg

copyright unknown. infringement unwanted.

• Like 1