Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

DCS Weekend News - F-14 & MiG-29

Header2018_720-EN.jpg

DCS: F-14 by Heatblur Simulations Available for Pre-Purchase

Pre-purchase and save $10 from

F14-280.jpg

The DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations is now available for pre-purchase with a $10 discount. Early Access release of a feature-complete F-14B will be this winter.

The Grumman F-14 Tomcat was a two-crew, variable geometry, maritime air superiority fighter that served with the US Navy for 32 years and continues to serve with the IRIAF in Iran. The F-14 was the US Navy's frontline fighter from the 1970s until the mid-2000s. Over the course of its long service life it also became the US Navy's premier precision ground-attack platform and lone airborne reconnaissance asset.

Outstanding features of the aircraft are the swing-wing configuration, crew of two, and the powerful AN/AWG-9 Weapons Control System (WCS) and radar. The AWG-9 allows employment of the powerful AIM-54 Phoenix air to air missile while the LANTIRN pod allows the ability to carry out precision ground strikes using laser guided bombs. The F-14 Tomcat was present during many pivotal historic moments such as the two Gulf of Sidra incidents, Operation Desert storm in Iraq, the conflict in Yugoslavia, Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom. It was also immortalized in the iconic motion picture, Top Gun, and starred in several other feature films including The Final Countdown, Executive Decision, and others.

In addition, the Tomcat was also a vital player in the Iran-Iraq war during the 80s, flying for the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force which had acquired the F-14A from the US prior the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

Ext_04-238.jpg

Pit_04-238.jpg

Screen_181005_070457-238.jpg

More screenshots

The Heatblur Simulations F-14A/B Tomcat aims to simulate this iconic aircraft as a high-fidelity module for DCS, being the culmination of several years of research, coding and modelling.

Special points of consideration amongst the many features are the external and internal graphic model created using laser scanning and photogrammetry from real Tomcats at various museums, the detailed modelling of the AN/AWG-9 and the ability to fly as a two-crew aircraft in multiplayer.

Please read the complete feature list here

MiG-29 for DCS World Available Now

This is a free update for Flaming Cliffs 3 customer, or a separate purchase option from DCS e-shop

DCS_MiG-29_280.jpg

This week we bring you the long-awaited update to the MiG-29A, MiG-29S, and MiG-29G! This is the last of the major updates to DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) line of aircraft. As with the other updated FC3 aircraft, the MiG-29 now incorporates a Professional Flight Model (PFM) that will continue to undergo development and improvement during the early access period.

Additionally, the MiG-29 cockpit and external model have been greatly improved, and other changes have been made like:

• Option for casual gamer flight dynamics that prevents departures to stalls, automatic angle of attack limiter, and a G limiter. While the PFM for the MiG-29 is very realistic, some player may prefer a more forgiving aircraft to fly.
  • As part of the PFM, we have tuned the available angular velocity of roll.
  • The braking effect of the braking chute has been increased.
  • The fuel level in internal fuel tank 1 has been increased.

The MiG-29 "Fulcrum" is a Russian-designed, twin-engine, supersonic fighter. First operational in the early 1980s, the Fulcrum is a "light weight" fighter, comparable to the American F/A-18 Hornet and F-16. Designed to work in conjunction with the larger Su-27 Flanker, the MiG-29 is armed with an internal 30mm cannon and both infrared- and radar-guided air-to-air missiles. For air-to-ground tasks, the MiG-29 can be armed with a large array of unguided bombs and rockets.

In addition to a sophisticated pulse doppler radar, the MiG-29 is also equipped with a passive Infrared Search and Track (IRST) sensor that allows the Fulcrum to detect and target enemy aircraft just based on their infrared emissions. This allows the MiG-29 to make stealthy attacks with no warning!

The Fulcrum is a highly-maneuverable fighter in a dogfight, and when paired with the helmet mounted sight and the AA-11 "Archer" air-to-air missile, it is a very lethal adversary. The MiG-29 has also been widely exported and has served in many countries that include Germany, Iran, Ukraine, and Poland.

Key Features of the MiG-29 for DCS World:

• A professional level flight model provides unmatched flight physics that allow you to truly feel what it's like to fly this amazing aircraft. Designed and tested by a former MiG-29 pilot!
  • A true model of the MiG-29 flight control system that allows you to perform the "cobra" and other "out of the envelope" maneuvers.
  • Highly detailed, six-degrees-of-freedom (6 DOF) cockpit.
  • Accurate MiG-29 Fulcrum model, squadron markings, and weapons.
  • Includes instant action, single missions, and a campaign.
  • Battle the Hornet in head-to-head combat.

Note: The MiG-29 for DCS World is identical to the MiG-29 in Flaming Cliffs 3. Owners of FC3 do not need to purchase.

MiG-29-for-DCS-World-25-238.jpg

MiG-29-for-DCS-World-08-238.jpg

MiG-29-for-DCS-World-05-238.jpg

The main differences in the new PFM against SFM MiG-29

SFM had very basic stability/controllability model, where stick deflection defines required g-load (1 g auto-trim system).

In real life, the MiG-29 is a plane with natural positive stability without any g-load feedback (as Su-27, for example) with additional longitudinal stability augmentation system (LSAS) and dampers.

MiG-29 PFM carefully models real plane longitudinal stability and controllability characteristics of the plane itself as well as LSAS algorithms.

Lateral and directional stability and controllability were tuned as well.

The true effect from leading edge slats was added.

To model the distinctive features of the plane aeroelasticity effect were added for ailerons together with the limited ability of the actuators.

Roll rate is dependent on AoA and dynamic pressure and is very close to the real prototype.

The plane has a very pronounced effect of ground proximity to its longitudinal controllability, which is modelled.

Stick limiter algorithm is fundamentally changed in comparison to SFM to have it like the real thing.

Autopilot modes are made closer to the real.

What to do:

• Fine tuning of lateral and directional stability/controllability
  • Engine fine tuning to adjust thrust for 70-80% rpm range
  • High AoA and post-stall effects and behaviour tuning

DCS World 2.5 Open Beta Update

This week’s Open Beta release saw some key changes that include:

• Introduced the updated MiG-29
  • Increased range of the new HY-2 Silkworm anti-ship missile to 100 km
  • Added the reload times of the SA-2 SAM and HY-2
  • Increased launch rate of the Ticonderoga
  • Improved AI taxi logic on the carrier deck
  • Flight model improvement of the drag curve, motor performance, and dynamic launch zone of the AIM-9L/M Sidewinder
  • Several AJS-37 Viggen and MiG-21bis fixes and improvements
  • Corrected Hornet TDC moving to stow position after target breaks a lock, aerial refueling Instant Action missions, adjusted TCTS pod drag value, radar B-Sweep no longer moves outside the tactical area, the B-Sweep returns to normal scan after the radar loses lock (B-Sweep hang after an undesignate key break lock already fixed this month)

You can read the complete change log on the DCS forum

We are on track to have the JHMCS with AIM-9X, FPAS page, fixed antenna logic, and AGM-65E and AGM-65F for the Hornet by the end of this month. In parallel, the HARM and ATFLIR pod are being developed, but these are complex tasks and will take longer.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and DCS: Persian Gulf Map Bundle Option

In addition to the standard bundle pack of the Hornet, Persian Gulf map, and the Su-33, we are now offering a separate bundle pack of just the Hornet and Persian Gulf map for just $79.99! This is a $129.98 value!

For those that already own the Su-33 as part of Flaming Cliffs 3 or the stand-alone Su-33 for DCS World, this bundle pack is for you.

Please find the offer on our e-Shop

Persian Gulf Blue Flag Event

We are proud to announce our participation in the next official event for Blue Flag: Persian Gulf! We have continued to add to and optimize the DCS: Persian Gulf map, and it’s now ready for its first official Blue Flag event.

We will be making a free Eagle Dynamics module available to the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of each coalition. We and our friends at the Buddyspike team are working tirelessly to bring you more and more features, improved game play, and an even better multiplayer dynamic simulation.

Players are pitted against each other in a battle to control the region with over 50 airfields and FARPs to capture along with carriers to defend and attack - this will be the biggest BlueFlag yet!

The official round will be starting October 19th at 18:00 UTC and progress can be followed live on the BuddySpike Gadget available here along with more information about the Online Persistent Dynamic Campaign. The round will run for two weeks with victory handed to the coalition holding the most bases at the end of the round - or if the map is entirely conquered. To register for your coalition - just join the BlueFlag PG server and type Red or Blue in the DCS Chat. See you in the Skies!

Sincerely,
The Eagle Dynamics Team

• Like 1

Once again I have defied my better judgement and gone for the DCS pre-purchase. But if the F-14 is as good as the AJS-37, it is a good investment. I have a DCS beta install, but it is on a slow 7200 rpm hard drive, so I don't run it very often. I use it to pre-stage files for the stable version updates. Therefore, I have the new MiG-29, but probably won't fly it until the stable release gets updated. The Hornet is great, but I prefer older, less digital aircraft, so the F-14 may be a better fit for me than the Hornet until the F-4E floats back on ED's priority list (apparently the F-16 has become the priority after the F/A-18). But it is hard to favor any one aircraft. I fly the F/A-18 a lot due to its fantastic flight model and excellent gunsight, but I have all of the other modules and still alternate between most of them to keep up proficiency and enjoy each one's unique handling in both combat and takeoff/landing.

DCS World had already become my preferred flight sim a long time ago when it added the MiG-21bis, UH-1H, and F-86F. With the addition of the MiG-15bis, Bf109K4, and Fw190D-9, I seldom played any other sim. But from the 2.5 release forward, combined with VR and the upcoming aircraft modules, it just keeps getting better exponentially despite the painfully slow development time for any one project. I can expect a MiG-19, MiG-23, F-4E, F-16, Mi-24, AH-1S, P-47D, F4U-1D, and who knows what else beyond the F-14 and Christen Eagle. It will never have all the minor versions that SF2 supports, but what they already have is amazing: simultaneously a plane specific detailed hard-core sim and a wide variety survey sim.

I converted from SF2 to DCS years ago. I faithfully played SF2 for many years, even when I had Lock On and IL-2 installed (Both in my opinion better games due to being higher fidelity). I know the pure size of the SF2's scenarios and aircraft list is unprecedented, but it's simply just a fun arcade game that isn't personally rewarding to me. DCS has reached a level of realism with stunning visuals that have never been seen before. Heatblurs work on the F-14 is remarkable, I encourage everyone to try DCS. The study-level sim bug will bite you hard and isn't as daunting as one might think. It's very rewarding to fly and fight in a DCS module. b49yycf.jpg

• Like 1

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands (no family or responsibilities) it would be misleading to give the impression hard core games like DCS are a formality to get into. People may not remember the learning curve they even had to spend on older sims like SF2 with the cold war specific combat and specific flight models.

Some of the DCS modules are very in depth and it is not just about time it is about getting the understanding of concepts that you wont find in the basic instruction manuals. Then comes the time commitment....even just ramp starting before every mission. 

DCS could do with some fun arcade type gameplay injecting into the single player mode if it wants more players - granted it already has some arcade type AI and damage modelling but wouldn't really call that fun.

I've started playing DCS with some of the FC3 aircraft to start re-familiarizing myself with the simulator.  Something tells me I'm probably going to be playing nothing but DCS for a while after this module gets released.