Open Club  ·  12 members

Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

EAWPRO's multicolored tracers

With the added 5 gun calibres came the need to display their tracers differently and this is how they look now:

Tracers1.jpg

Tracers2.jpg

Tracers3.jpg

VonBeerhofen

Looks good. I'll say it again. the 3 colors per tracer looks cool.

(I know you answered this before) But VBH, its that 3 colors or do they fade into each other? (more colors than 3?)

They're fading alright. but can also have smoke trails. It's a bit of a disputed issue for some players though as it may obscure the player's view of the target, and I don't know how it'll play out on FPS. With the optimised and changed code there's room for several options.

VonBeerhofen

I've programmed the tracer frequency under control of the EAW.INI entry LimitedAmmo= 1-15 max. The value 0 still is unlimited ammo.

SInce it's a bitwise logical operand the sensible values are 1 3 7 or 15, the values in between will work too but makes the behaviour more irregular.   Changing to a higher value will slightly improve framerate as well, because there will be more illuminated dots then tracers.

The default value of 1 (stock EAW) will probably be the best choice for most people and will allow backward compattabillity, the higher values are mainly meant to improve FPS when necessary since the EAW.INI EffectsDetail setting was replaced with this option which simply is faster then the stock routine. The higher the value the less tracers.

VonBeerhofen

While visually pleasing, I'm not at all sure that tracers actually changed hue during flight, except perhaps during the last few seconds of their burning.  In my personal experience, they burn with a single, constant hue and intensity until burn-out.

There are some other aspects of tracers to perhaps consider.  For example, this vid shows what appear to be "Smoke tracers", as well as the later, more conventional to us moderns, "Visible tracers". 

Note the "corkscrewing" of the bullets clearly visible in some of the smoke emitted.  This is a commonplace occurrence with most bullets, and the "corkscrewing" is referred-to as the point in time before the bullet "goes to sleep", and assumes a linear path, subject to the laws of ballistics.   The smoke effect would be relatively easy to reproduce compared to the diminishing-at-distance "corkscrew" effect.

Note also that with no information as to gun camera lens focal length, no reliable information can be drawn from the images as to distance between aircraft.

I believe the "Smoke-Tracer" bullets were used in early war until replaced by what we call conventional, visible tracers.  With that said, perhaps "Smoke Tracers" would be more historically correct for some aircraft during the early part of the war, with diminishing use after a certain point, that being when the improved visible tracers became available.  

While certainly appreciating the expertise devoted to creating this effect, I remain quite unsure of the historical accuracy of the "changing-hue" effect.  OTOH, if most people like it, then who am I to argue?

Allow me to assure all, that as resident newbie and rivet-counter, I do not insist on historical accuracy; I simply point out things as they happen to differ from historical accuracy.  I mean no ill-intent toward VBH or anyone else, certainly.

Hi RiBob,

smokey tracers are very feasable in EAW and since they were appearently used more frequently at the beginning of the war I may be tempted to replace the colored tracers for the year 1940 only. I may even be able to add the corckscrew effect to the animation.

I can't say when it'll be done  but it's been added to my todo list.

VonBeerhofen

Interesting stuff RiBob, I just can't say if any of it is usable. EAW is very limited in it's capabillities and maintaining framerates is more important then accuracy. You may understand that the tracers are just a line on the screen which can only use the colors EAW has reserved for them. I've used what I possibly could use and made it look nice, I don't think I can do more then that. Within the available colors a rewrite of the code to have more is just not feasable or would take too much of my time.

There's another 1000 things I want to tackle, so it's time to move on to the next issue. Thx for your input, it was an eye opener for me since us Dutch have no knowledge on bullets in general, as we're not allowed to carry arms and the info I already acquired was not very extensive. I think you'll like what I've done, :)

VonBeerhofen

4 hours ago, VonBeerhofen said:

Interesting stuff RiBob, I just can't say if any of it is usable. EAW is very limited in it's capabillities and maintaining framerates is more important then accuracy. You may understand that the tracers are just a line on the screen which can only use the colors EAW has reserved for them. I've used what I possibly could use and made it look nice, I don't think I can do more then that. Within the available colors a rewrite of the code to have more is just not feasable or would take too much of my time.

There's another 1000 things I want to tackle, so it's time to move on to the next issue. Thx for your input, it was an eye opener for me since us Dutch have no knowledge on bullets in general, as we're not allowed to carry arms and the info I already acquired was not very extensive. I think you'll like what I've done, :)

VonBeerhofen

I generally make comments when I believe I have possibly pertinent information to add.  whether or not it is actually useable is up to others who are more familiar with how such info is integrated into their creation.  The above comments were posted for your information, and if not entirely useful, that's fine.  No harm; no foul.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got into weapon modding and wanted to edit some missiles.
      I went for the Weapons Folder with the Weapons Editor, and some weapons were missing, even tho i can see them and equip them in-game.
      I wanted to edit the AA-2D Atoll for my Su-22M3, but there's no AA-2 folder inside Weapons folder, nor inside plane folder, even tho the missile is equippable and i can see it/use it in-game.
      Since there's no Atoll folder, i have no idea how is it possible for me to have it in-game, and even less i know on how am i supposed to edit it through Weapons Editor, since i can't select the folder.
      I thought it may be a sort of "built-in-game" missile and for this reason not showing in weapons folder (idk i just made an hypothesis).
      So i tried using the CAT Extractor, but seems like not working... no matter which CAT file i select, it says "error opening this .CAT file, no files can be extracted", how's that? How do i fix it? Am i doing something wrong?
      Thank you in advance for helping me fixing all these issues or helping me find what i'm doing wrong
    • By MarkEAW
      Okay here's the first release of it.
      I forgot to mention in the readme that its hooked for direct input and has a virtual joystick.
      That will allow you to configure the game flight controls to keyboard and cam to mouse.
      (I don't think the virtual Joystick if selected in game will work) Its best to stay with keyboard until you get a physical joystick.

EAWPRO DXWnd Profile
      https://www.mediafire.com/file/sia0o8hby2r44tm/EAWPRO10_(Basic)-DXWnd.zip/file

For this Wrapper Program
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

• By AcariaPlainum
      Hey i was working on modifying missiles and came across sustainer acceleration and sustainer duration. I wanted to know what it does

• By Righteous26
      I have placed folders with modified .ini files in the mods/.../Weapons folder for certain weapons that would otherwise be available at the time of a campaign I am working on. The weapons still show up as available on the arming screens, however. Is there another way to remove weapons from a campaign? Simply removing the folders does not seem to work as the game pulls default weapons from the .cat files.
    • By Eagle114th
      Hello everyone,
      While I was working on SF2 new MENU / GUI project, I realized that I really want to finish working on updating an ordinance list.  The reasons:

I missed the old day of Jane's FA when I could view the list of ordinance that is separated between AA (Air to Air) / AS (Air to Surface).  I decided to work on it, so anyone who wants this can also enjoy SF2 with new ordinance list.  

I created the notes with abbreviations I am using for the list.  The feedbacks are welcomed as always.  I will happily update the list if the community wants to see any abbreviations modified, changed, or added.  Here is the list:
      Abbreviations -------------------------------------------------------- <MISSILE PLATFORM - TYPES> AAM AIR TO AIR MISSILE ALCM AIR-LAUNCHED CRUISE MISSILE AGM AIR TO GROUND MISSILE ARM ANTI-RADIATION MISSILE ASM AIR TO SURFACE MISSILE AShM ANTI-SHIP MISSILE M-SAM MOBILE SAM SAM SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE <MISSILE - GUIDANCE TYPES> ARH ACTIVE RADAR HOMING CG COMMAND GUIDANCE CLOS COMMAND TO LINE-OF-SIGHT SARH SEMI-ACTIVE RADAR HOMING LG LASER-GUIDANCE LOSBR LINE-OF-SIGHT BEAM RIDING INS INERTIAL NAVIGATION SYSTEM IR INFRARED HOMING IIR IMAGING INFRARED GUI TGM TELEVISION GUIDANCE TV ELECTRO-OPTICAL GUIDANCE RA RADAR ALTIMETER GUIDANCE RC RADIO COMMAND RL RADIO LINK <BOMB - TYPES> CBU (CLUSTER BOMB UNIT) FFD FREE-FALL DEMOLITION GBU (GLIDE BOMB UNIT) GPB GENERAL-PURPOSE BOMB LGB LASER-GUIDED BOMB LDGPB LOW-DRAG GENERAL-PURPOSE BOMB NPB NAPALM BOMB PGM PRECISION GUIDED MUNITION <ROCKET - TYPES> AP ARMOR PIERCING FFAR FOLDING-FIN AIRCRAFT ROCKET HE HIGH EXPLOSIVE HVAR HIGH VELOCITY AIRCRAFT ROCKET <OTHER> DT DROP TANK ECM ELECTRONIC COUNTERMEASURES GP GUN POD RACK ORDINANCE RACK RL ROCKET LAUNCHER RP ROCKET PROJECTILE TGP TARGETING POD
      Here is the updated list of SF2 ordinances:
      NOTE: You will see duplicated names for drop tanks, don't worry about it.  It is connected to the aircraft.  You won't see duplicated drop tanks in SF2 Menu. This list is directly copied from weapondata. 
      The list is still WIP, there are probably mistakes I have not seen before.  So please let me know if you see anything needs fixing in the list.

<AIR TO AIR MISSILES> (AAM) AIM-4D Falcon (IR) (AAM) AIM-7D Sparrow (SARH) (AAM) AIM-7E Sparrow (SARH) (AAM) AIM-7E-2 Sparrow (SARH) (AAM) AIM-7E-4 Sparrow (SARH) (AAM) AIM-7F Sparrow (SARH) (AAM) AIM-7M Sparrow (SARH) (AAM) AIM-7P Sparrow (SARH) (AAM) AIM-9B Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9D Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9E Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9E-2 Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9F Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9G Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9H Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9J Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9L Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9M Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9N Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9P Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9P-2 Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9P-3 Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9P-4 Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-9P-5 Sidewinder (IR) (AAM) AIM-54A Phoenix (SARH / ARH) (AAM) Matra R.530 (SARH / IR) (AAM) Matra R.530E (SARH / IR) (AAM) Matra R.550 Magic (IR) (AAM) Matra R.550 Magic 2 (IR) (AAM) Shafrir-1 (IR) (AAM) Shafrir-2 (IR) (AAM) Python-3 (IR) (AAM) Firestreak (IR) (AAM) Red Top (IR) (AAM) Sky Flash (SARH) (AAM) V3A Kukri (IR) (AAM) V3B Kukri (IR) (AAM) RS-2US "AA-1 Alkali-B" (LOSBR) (AAM) R-3S "AA-2 Atoll-A" (IR) (AAM) R-13M "AA-2 Atoll-D" (IR) (AAM) R-23R "AA-7 Apex-A" (SARH) (AAM) R-23T "AA-7 Apex-B" (IR) (AAM) R-24R "AA-7 Apex-C" (SARH) (AAM) R-24T "AA-7 Apex-D" (IR) (AAM) R-60T "AA-8 Aphid-A" (IR) (AAM) R-60M "AA-8 Aphid-B" (IR) -------------------------------------------- < BOMBS > (CBU) CBU-24B Cluster Bomb (CBU) Mk.20 Rockeye II (FFD) M-117 750-lb Bomb (GPB) AN-M57 250-lb Bomb (GPB) AN-M64 500-lb Bomb (GPB) UK 250-lb Bomb (GPB) UK 540-lb Bomb (GPB) UK 1000-lb Bomb (GPB) FAB-100 100-kg Bomb (GPB) FAB-250 250-kg Bomb (GPB) FAB-500 500-kg Bomb (LDGPB) Mk.81 250-lb Bomb (LDGPB) Mk.82 500-lb Bomb (LDGPB) Mk.82 Snakeye (LDGPB) Mk.83 1000-lb Bomb (LDGPB) Mk.84 2000-lb Bomb (LGB) GBU-12 Paveway (LG) (LGB) GBU-12 Paveway II (LG) (LGB) GBU-10 Paveway (LG) (LGB) GBU-10 Paveway II (LG) (NPB) BLU-1 Napalm (PGM) Mk.1 Walleye I (TGM) (PGM) Mk.5 Walleye II (TGM) (PGM) Mk.21 Walleye I ERDL (TGM) (PGM) Mk.23 Walleye II ERDL (TGM) (PGM) GBU-8 HOBOS (TGM) -------------------------------------------- <AIR TO GROUND MISSILES> (ARM) AGM-45A Shrike (ARM) AGM-45B Shrike (ARM) AGM-78A Standard ARM (ARM) AGM-78B Standard ARM (ARM) AGM-78C Standard ARM (ARM) AGM-78D Standard ARM (AShM) AGM-84A Harpoon (RA / ARH) (AShM) AGM-84C Harpoon (RA / ARH) (AShM) AGM-84D Harpoon (RA / ARH) (AShM) K-10S "AS-2 Kipper" (INS / RL) (AShM) Kh-22 "AS-4 Kitchen" (INS / ARH) (ALCM / AShM) KSR-5 "AS-6 Kingfish" (INS / ARH) (ASM) AGM-65A Maverick (TV) (ASM) AGM-65B Maverick (TV) -------------------------------------------- <ROCKET LAUNCHERS> (RL) LAU-3 Rocket Pod (RL) LAU-10 Rocket Pod (RL) LAU-32 Rocket Pod (RL) LAU-33 Rocket Pack (RL) Matra 155 Rocket Pod (RL) 2" Microcell Rocket Pack (RL) 2" Microcell Rocket Pack (RL) JL-100 Rocket Pod (RL) UB-16-57 Rocket Pod (RL) UB-32-57 Rocket Pod -------------------------------------------- <GUN PODS> (GP) SUU-11 Gun Pod (7.62x51mm) (GP) SUU-23 Gun Pod (20mm) (GP) Mk.4 Gun Pod (20mm) (GP) 30mm Aden Gun Pack -------------------------------------------- <DROP TANKS> (DT) 75-gal Drop Tank (DT) 100-gal Drop Tank (DT) 150-gal Drop Tank (DT) 170-gal Drop Tank (DT) 195-gal Drop Tank (DT) 175-gal Ventral Drop Tank (DT) 200-gal Drop Tank (DT) 230-gal Drop Tank (DT) 250-gal Drop Tank (DT) 275-gal Drop Tank (DT) 280-gal Drop Tank (DT) 300-gal Drop Tank (DT) 335-gal Drop Tank (DT) 370-gal Drop Tank (DT) 450-gal Drop Tank (DT) 500-ltr Supersonic Tank (DT) 600-gal Drop Tank (DT) 610-gal Drop Tank (DT) 625-ltr Drop Tank (DT) 650-gal Drop Tank (DT) 1300-ltr Drop Tank (DT) 1700-ltr Drop Tank (DT) 293-gal Drop Tank -------------------------------------------- <RACKS> (RACK) A/A37B-5 TER (RACK) A/A-37B-6 MER (RACK) NAPGACH (RACK) Harrier Twin Store Carrier (RACK) Mirage Twin Bomb Rack (RACK) LAU-88A/A (RACK) LAU-105 DRA (RACK) F-105 Twin AIM-9 Rail (RACK) RPK10 Bomb Rack Fuel (RACK) APU-60-II -------------------------------------------- <TARGETING POD> (TGP) AN/AVQ-23A/B Pave Spike -------------------------------------------- <ECM> (ECM) AN/ALQ-71 (ECM) AN/ALQ-101 (ECM) AN/ALQ-119 (ECM) AN/ALQ-131 -------------------------------------------- <SAM> (SAM) RIM-2F Terrier HTR-3 (SARH) (SAM) RIM-7E Sea Sparrow (SARH) (SAM) RIM-7H NATO Sea Sparrow (SARH) (SAM) RIM-66B Standard MR (SARH) (SAM) "SA-2B Guideline Mod 1" (CG) (SAM) "SA-2C Guideline Mod 2" (CG) (SAM) "SA-2E Guideline Mod 4" (CG) (SAM) "SA-2F Guideline Mod 5" (CG) (SAM) "SA-6A Gainful" (CG / SARH) (SAM) "SA-N-3 Goblet" (RC / SARH) -------------------------------------------- <MOBILE SAM> (M-SAM) "SA-8 Gecko Mod 0" (CLOS) (M-SAM) "SA-8B Gecko Mod 1" (CLOS) (M-SAM) "SA-N-1B Goa" (CLOS) (M-SAM) "SA-N-4 Gecko" (CLOS)
      I will share the progress of this mod through time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..