Sign in to follow this  
amariani

Adding texture to a layer

How do I add texture to a layer? Or how do I go from pic. 1 to pic. 2?

BTW, I use GIMP 2.6.11.

Sample1.jpg

Sample2.jpg

probably many methods

that I can think of either play with brush type, size and opacity and make your patterns OR a solid but very transparent layer then same advise as the brushes but with the eraser. looks more like weathering to me, and have done both to weather skins (though brushes are more common)

• Like 1

Find some dirt texture in net. If possible, similar resolution as your project.

Open it in GIMP.

Open your project in GIMP too.

Add transparent layer over layer you want to modify. Right click -> new layer. In options TRANSPARENT, but I think it's default.

Go to dirt EDITION/copy.

Go to your new layer EDITION/paste.

Resize your dirt and set transparency.

Edited by guuruu
  • Like 1

I would say the following

- White riveting can add an impression of depth

- Weathering using semi transparent layers. there was a nice set of brushes for weathering in photoshop called "fbs weather effects collection"

- Adding a bit of noise maybe. I feel like TK is using this method on a few skins (1% of gaussian monochromatic noise)

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Follow-up question: would I be following the same procedure for brushed metal?

don't remember the link, but somewhere in one of the KB (either in SF/Wo* or SF2) there's a NM tutorial that's pretty damn good. I used it on the B-17s and B-24s Veltro and I did.

Plus, I know there's a way to add actual metallic textures, but never figured it out

• Like 1

I do not know how it in GIMP but in Photoshop i do:

1. load layer with aircraft seams

2. new layer over seams with gray background

3. add filter "noise" on gray layer

4. add  filter "blur" after noise

5. Change layer method from "Normal" to "Overlay"! This is importantest step.

6. with "eraser" instrument i clean in some places to do dirt less regular. Change opacity of your brush about 50-30%.

2MFLY.jpg

Edited by bazillius
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wrench said:

don't remember the link, but somewhere in one of the KB (either in SF/Wo* or SF2) there's a NM tutorial that's pretty damn good. I used it on the B-17s and B-24s Veltro and I did.

Plus, I know there's a way to add actual metallic textures, but never figured it out

could this be the link ?

and the gentleman with the FB page from turkey has had some skins that were photorealistic metal. my observation was that they were photos of hte real thing that were overlayed on the appropriate texture (this was post Mue lod viewer iirc)

• Like 1

There used to be a great website called simmerspaintshop, but it seems to be down. maybe there is an archive of the website

simmerspaintshop has been closed for well over a year now. A sad thing -- it was the BEST resource around

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have a look at a tool like FilterForge.

• Like 1

Cant remember where,but I showed how I make metal textures easily...like so

for the P47 all I did was find metal texture images online and cut bits out and paste them in the jpg where the fuselage is mapped,then smooth out joins add panel lines,rivets,dirt wear and tear etc...

First image for the Mig was same way  bits of images cut etc..top middle bit on F7M is believe it or not metal corrugated roof panels...recoloured to make the nozzle interior texture..

Th fantail image is the same...texture of metal sheet with some lighting effect...usually spray painted in a vector layer.....game does rest with settings to give the polished metal look...and added bump map for theextra details such as dents,rivets etc.

F7M-006.jpg

Fantail4096.jpg

P-47N-15.jpg

• Like 3