Sign in to follow this  
RIBob

SF Project-1 VS SF2: Should I Keep Project-1?

I already have SF2 installed, running, and heavily modded.  Do I even need SF Project 1?  Why shouldn't I uninstall it?  Should I retain it, and of so, why?  What benefits does SF Project-1 offer over a heavily modded SF2, other than historical?

Not particularly interested in the history of the game, although I respect those who are, and mean no offense.

So, interested in constructive opinions.  Not killing me to keep SF Project-1, but why do so?

DEFINITELY not interested in starting a SF1 vs SF2 war.  Please let's not go there.

ummmmmm....you have SF2 installed and modded ?...errrrrrrrr.....so why waste HD space on a game optomised for windows xp ( or earlier) yeah hang on to it for a keepsake, but no point in having it on yer machine methunks, I have SF Gold , but it sure aint installed anymore neither is FE1 as I have that also, but I have FE2 so why would I even need to use it, unless I fire up my old pc with xp on it.........but hey its your 'puter mate , use it how YOU want it .

:airplane:

IIRC the SFP-1 series has the A-6 cockpit and maybe something for the F-104.  I can't remember specifics, but if you need those LODs for an SF2 mod, you might want to at least hang onto the discs.  

both the A-6 and F-104 pits are only in SF1s. Pretty much the only reason to keep them

12 minutes ago, Wrench said:

both the A-6 and F-104 pits are only in SF1s. Pretty much the only reason to keep them

i thought we had a pit for the 104, shortly after SF2E came out

as to the Intruder, which version? WOV?

and slightly off topic, the TW store and DL center is offline again. but at least with a message that they are doing maintenence

Edited by daddyairplanes

Will certainly keep the disk.  Just wondering if it is necessary to retain the game on the computer, given heavily modded SF2, that's all.  I have plenty of storage, so that's not really a big issue.  The cockpits are worth considering, although I assume modders of SF2 would have included such in their mods.  I might add that the Project-1 runs without a disk, so there's that.

Definitely appreciate all replies.

Edited by RIBob

Aside from being able to copy a few useful files over to SF2 like the F-104 and A-6 cockpits, the only real capability SFP1/WoX offers over SF2 is multiplayer. If you aren't using multiplayer and have already extracted the files you need for you SF2 install, then there is nothing to gain from keeping any first gen games installed.

Well, not sure about WoX means, but multiplayer is always an option for the future.  I don't consider myself sufficiently skilled as yet to engage in multiplayer  flying, although I have done so, with different sims, in the distant past.  Something to consider. As said, I will always keep the disk.

WoX = 

Where "X" is the game title

SFP1 and WoX are better on older computers and WindowsXP. SF2 and old computers with less RAM are a bad idea. Loading of a mission needed up to 5 minutes.

15 hours ago, RIBob said:

, although I assume modders of SF2 would have included such in their mods

no can do,  the lods for them (SF1 pits) are TW copyrighted and verboten to upload here by community rules and US law.  there are threads that mention how to load them i believe, way back in the archives from when SF2 was shiny and new.

Edited by daddyairplanes

OK, so general, informed, thought has it that SF Project-1 is deleted from computer, and original disk is retained for valuable files.

Can do.   Thank you all for very informative responses, and you all might hear from me again when the valuable files are needed.

Thank you all and much obliged!