Hey folks.

Lately i've been busying with modding my gun files, with the intent to create a mod with much more variance in sounds and tracer effects for those types of weapons.

Sadly, I'm stuck at the very beginning of sound modding; I was able to substitute the sound of a 30mm gun with a good one i found on web but my problem is the following:

I can't for the life of me make it sound like it's firing at its nominal RoF.

A gun having, say, 900 rpm sounds like firing at 150 rpm.

I understand that, for the simulator to work properly, the sound file i use should be of a single shot - not of a volley, as it seems that it 'd create unrealistic overlaps and generally sound bad.

Is there a way to configure this particular aspect? Also, I'd like to know if there is a way to make multiple gun configs sound like there's more than one:

for example, a Mig-19 with two guns of the same type should play the sound twice (stereo would be the icing on the cake, but perhaps i'm asking to much), yet the sim produces only one dull shooting sound.

Any ideas? Thanks for your attention.

Edited by jjlehto

I guess you already know that this light sim has a number of game engine issues so keep in mind that even though you have found the perfect sounds that doesn't mean that you will experience the same sound quality in game. Long time ago I made this mod: 

It improves the stock AAA sounds for a number of guns (ZPU-2/4, ZU-23-2, Shilka, Oerlikon, Gepard etc). When time allows I will update it adding more guns. However the game engine can produce only mono wav sounds. So some pretty good stereo gun sounds I have found were downgraded to mono format. Now concerning the appropriate sound for each gun, I guess you should search and find which is more suitable for each one. However there's also something else you can do. Suppose that you have found a sound for a 800 rpm gun and you want to make it sound like 1000 rpm. You can use a sound edit software and speed it up 25%.

(800 rpm + 800 rpm *25% = 1000 rpm)

That's an easy way to make it sound at the desired rpm without spending much time looking for a new one. However the modified sound probably should sound less realistic.

• Like 1

don't forget, the wavs themselves are (need to be) 8 bit monos

Did you add the new gun sounds to the Soundlist.ini, and place that in the /Flight folder?

are you testing these sounds in SF2:NA? There are serious, known issues with NA, even with stock sounds, of having them sped up and sounding way off (think prop engine sounds like a lawnmower). There is no fix; requests and reports were not acted upon by the manufacturer.

OTH, in all the others (SF2, 2V, 2E, 2I) the add-on sounds work well.

26 minutes ago, Wrench said:

don't forget, the wavs themselves are (need to be) 8 bit monos

Did you add the new gun sounds to the Soundlist.ini, and place that in the /Flight folder?

are you testing these sounds in SF2:NA? There are serious, known issues with NA, even with stock sounds, of having them sped up and sounding way off (think prop engine sounds like a lawnmower). There is no fix; requests and reports were not acted upon by the manufacturer.

OTH, in all the others (SF2, 2V, 2E, 2I) the add-on sounds work well.

If you have a merged install that includes SF2:NA does that mean the sound bug will still be there if you start a game from say the SF2:E shortcut? And if you did that would you still have the SF2:NA naval features? I thought installing SF2 titles worked like installing game patches so any new features are applied to everything?

oddly, ONLY in SF2NA has the sound bug. None of the others seem to have it. (E, V, I, 2)

now, here's the screwed up part -- all my WW2 mods folders are built from the NA exe; NONE of the exhibit the bug. ONLY in NA.

The naval features work (after a fashion) in the other merged titles. But don't work as good as directly in NA (at least in my experiences with them). 

remember, all 5 (7 if you have the expansion packs) all share the same core dlls and cats and so forth. It's only the exes (and whatever is hiding in their code) that seem to differ.

Oh ok that is weird all my WWII installs, Korea, ODS and Falklands etc are based off the SF2:NA exe as well which is why I asked. Would be a pain changing them lol

Ok, thanks for all your replies.

To start with, I have the merged 5-ways install with SFNA updated to the latest patch.

I begun  this work by examining the original, generic 30mm sound; and noticed it was a single gun shot sound that the simulator would repeat while the the trigger is pressed and the gun is firing. 

Then I went looking over the web and found more specific 30mm (and other kinds and calibers) sounds from different cannons, normally these files contain the sound of a burst, at the proprietary rof.

Since though, the simulator sounds format is one shot only, and then the program repeats it to form bursts, i thought to proceed by cutting 1 shot only from my sound files, saving it in the relevant folder and proceed editing the inis.

The in-game result is good - for what it concerns the sound itself: it plays perfectly just like in the sound editor.

But the rate of fire is completely different from the one written in the ini.

I had reasoned that the simulator would repeat the single shot file according to the rate of fire value written in the ini file, but at this point i doubt it has anything to do with the "sound part" of the gun; probably it's there only to calculate damage, ammo consumption and so on.

So I reckon you are suggesting to employ soundfiles already containing entire bursts. But how does that work with the amount of time the trigger is pressed? If the soundfile contains say - 30 shots - and i press the trigger to fire only 10, the simulator will still play a burst long 30 shots right?