Open Club  ·  12 members

Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

EAWPRO's Hires Effects

A small example of the differences between the stock effects and the ones used in EAWPRO.
This drawing shows the stock effects in the left picture and one of EAWPRO's effects in the right one. As you can see there are 9 different animations in the stock drawing, the bright colored squares are used for the tracers, one square for each calibre, and only 4 frames are available for fires. All other animations use 8 frames.

[Linked Image]

EAWPRO uses an entire texture for it's 16 frames per effect and besides the longer and hires animations another advantage is that the drawing's color palette is individual to each effect drawing and is therefore much more realistic, whereas the 8 stock effects have to share those colors in a single texture. EAWPRO also uses 8 calibre colors with the option to use 16, as apposed to just 4, I just can't think of any weapons to use the remaining 8 colors.

Furthermore EAWPRO uses 16+ of such Hires effects drawings but each effect can also borrow frames from the other effects drawings, which with certain animations allows a selection out of 16 x 16 = 256 frames. I hope you understand that this approach allows all effects to be swapped freely with another by simply renaming the texture file or .SPT filename. The same goes for their TRA (transparency) counterparts.

I hope this explains why swapping Sprite Tables or changing them isn't as usefull as one thinks, after all each animation is linked to some action in the game and the routines for these had to be completely rewritten in order to make this work and it's not just a swap in the Sprite Table, that won't work at all since the used animations are defined in their own specific routines which control their actions.

LPRocks.jpg

VonBeerhofen

Interesting post Vb..I understand only a bit but the picture makes it a bit understandable

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, rwatson said:

Interesting post Vb..I understand only a bit but the picture makes it a bit understandable

Concur with Russ.  In my observation of fire, particularly fires caused by gasoline and such, the flames are of different hue depending on the amount of air (oxygen) mixed-in.  

So, flames nearest the source of fuel tend to have the least exposure to oxygen, and are deeper red, changing to a brighter red, then deep orange changing to a brighter orange, then deep yellow changing to a brilliant yellow.  The flames gradually change hue along their path to a yellow as more oxygen is introduced, as combustion is more complete.

The accompanying smoke is most prevalent at the base of the fire, where combustion due to insufficient air is necessarily incomplete, and lessens with the introduction of more oxygen.  However, the smoke from the base of the fire will flow back in the airstream, thus masking the relatively lesser amount of smoke produced with increased oxygen.

As perceived by an outside observer, the smoke will tend to darken the flames considerably, as though the flames were being viewed through a neutral density lens filter.

The smoke, being tiny particulates, can actually have a slightly different path than the actual liquid that is burning, since the liquid is much heavier.  In extremely high winds, the paths of the smoke and the flame are nearly indistinguishable.

For example, siting next to a camp fire, it is common for the smoke to quickly separate from the flames, and blow downwind from the flames.  The flames of the campfire will be blown downwind also, but the smoke much more so.  With the very high wind velocities seen with flaming aircraft, it is safe to say that the smoke and flame path will be the same as long as the flames are visible, but at some point, the dissipating smoke will be a captive of the prevailing wind.  Much like the contrails of most aircraft that generate such. 

As for major explosions of aircraft, such as internal bomb loads being detonated more or less simultaneously, the visual effect would be of a very large, more or less spherical, brilliant yellow (bordering on white, initially) explosion,  very quickly cascading down through orange, since the explosive in the bombs contains its' own supply of oxygen, and is therefore complete combustion.  The remnants of the plane leaking fuel are, for the purposes of this discussion, considered as separate entities, following the rules of combustion described above. 

Respectfully submitted for consideration.  I hope some of this may prove useful in some way.  Perhaps not.  Your call.  As with many of my suggestions/criticisms, I am not entirely sure of what information is of use to you, so I make (helpfully helpful) suggestions not knowing what is useful or not, from your perspective.  I certainly hope you receive them as such.

Sincerely, RIBob

Edited by RIBob

Can't edit anymore, so last portion of above, in parens, should read ... (hopefully helpful)….  Regret limited editing capability.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MarkEAW
      Okay here's the first release of it.
      I forgot to mention in the readme that its hooked for direct input and has a virtual joystick.
      That will allow you to configure the game flight controls to keyboard and cam to mouse.
      (I don't think the virtual Joystick if selected in game will work) Its best to stay with keyboard until you get a physical joystick.

EAWPRO DXWnd Profile
      https://www.mediafire.com/file/sia0o8hby2r44tm/EAWPRO10_(Basic)-DXWnd.zip/file

For this Wrapper Program
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

• By PJB
      requesting any effects mods expert to please make some realistic effects of aircraft explosion fire flares countermeassure and flames effects for strike fighters 2 that can be compared to dcs world or war thunder !! i have each and every effects mods never found a good taste 

• By VonBeerhofen
      That's what you get when wearing headphones and you don't hear the incoming bullets from an enemy behind you  hitting your plane. Or maybe our hearing is getting impaired after so many years of flying this game, :D   VBH
    • By VonBeerhofen
      occasionally you can get these interesting smoke effects in EAWPRO generated by the new randomly asigned and expanded effects routines, giving many a much wider use. Besides that there are more smoketypes available which have new uses. Each animation is sixteen 64 pixel drawings in 8 bit using an entire 256 x 256 pixel PCX. Here a few expanding black smoke clouds were generated after two planes collided and you can still see a firey wing dropping down.

VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      This night screen shows EAWPRO's bullet impact animation routine in action. Impacts can select a short animation within any of the available smoke and fire animations starting from any frame in that animation. I don't know offhand how many available drawings that is but roughly well over 200! This mimics bullets hitting various types of ground or objects and can for instance even use the watersplash animation when hitting a fuel cannister or something simmilar, as can be seen on the left of the screen where also a fire has started after the impact.

BTW, notice that not all drawings are illuminated at night.
      VonBeerhofen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..