Could anyone  tell me, please, if some of the old soviet YAK aircraft (YAK-25M/YAK-25RV/YAK-28I/YAK-28P) had or carried any pods of countermeasures, including electronic ? (chaff/flare/ECM)  Thank you!

There was an electronic warfare version of Yak-28, the Yak-28PP deppoyed in 1970. According to wikipedia it was the first ECM soviet aircraft. It would be interesting if someone knew operational history of this specific variant outside USSR. I guess it must be operated by soviet forces in DDR in the 70s.

• Thanks 1

Hunting down Yefrem Gordon's  book the Yaks (25,26,27,28) would be a good starting place. I know that Aerofax is (either) the printer or publisher.

the intenet (and favorite search engine) is your friend

• Thanks 1

Hi Kevin, long time, no see!

Thanks for the tip. I searched for a while on the internet but I made a very slow progress. I will look for that book you instructed to hunt. Nice to see you again Kevin.

I've found this:

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 1

Yaks are a really "misunderstood" breed of planes, yet, they have been (and still are) versatile planes carrying a lot of missions, testing equipment and weapons, even radioactive devices were added to them.

From the Yefim Gordon Book, some shots

image.png.f673b10d3598a332a0d0fdfa0f3be1bc.png

image.thumb.png.2ade082ad5c1e28f3c1ee27024760f37.png

image.thumb.png.ef08251ac2ba0d05f8dca2d9f5fee161.png

Some of them are in my modeling plans...

• Like 1

Very nice Flogger, thanks for contributing! In YAK-25RV Mandrake (the 3D model I mean I found on this website) there is that device on its wings, which is seen in your first picture. I guess it's the ECM equipment.

Edited by UllyB

or atmospheric sampling pods

Didn't know that there was a SEAD variant carrying the Kh-28 missile although according to rusian Yak-28 wiki it wasn't introduced in service. An another interesting thing there, is that Yak-28R and Yak-28PP were considered more effective than Mig-21R and Su-24MP respectivelly!

Edited by tiopilotos