Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

eurofighter question

Could , please, some of you, people from respective countries let me know WHEN exactly (the year) the Eurfighter Typhoon had a operational squadron in that country ? I am interested in SPAIN, UK, AUSTRIA, GERMANY.  I searched the net but the answer I seek is blurry at best. Thank you!

3 hours ago, UllyB said:

Could , please, some of you, people from respective countries let me know WHEN exactly (the year) the Eurfighter Typhoon had a operational squadron in that country ? I am interested in SPAIN, UK, AUSTRIA, GERMANY.  I searched the net but the answer I seek is blurry at best. Thank you!

Heres a start, wil have to come back to this tomorrow:

Italy: IOC 15/12/05.. first squadron wasn't formed until the following January though so not sure how that works...

UK: 31/03/06 first RAF Sqn formed (11 SQN), combat ready as of 09/08/07

Spain - TBC

Germany - TBC 

Austria - TBC

• Thanks 1

Germany, since 30th April 2004 - JG 73 "Steinhoff"

Edited by Soulfreak
  • Thanks 1

Spain - Ala11  Moron (Sevilla) 4/27/2006   C.16 Typhoon

Ala14  Los Llanos (Albacete) 10/11/2014 

Edited by EsPeKTr0
  • Thanks 1

Thank you friends for your help, I appreciate it.

So for Spain they already have , at Moron, a squadron in 2006 ? I found this ( http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/180482/spanish-air-force-finally-resumes-eurofighter-deliveries.html and https://www.natotigers.org/tiger-units/142-escuadrón ) saying that the first operational sq was made in 2013 because of lack of money (they said that the aircraft war not paid for at that time because of budget cuts):

" The History of the 142 Squadron of Ala (Wing) 14 starts back in 1980, when the Spanish Air Force received the first Mirage F.1 fighters. Stationed at Los Llanos AFB, near Albacete, they share their role with 141 Sqn.
In 1986 142 Esc became a member of the NATO Tiger Community, and participated in the Tiger Meet for the first time.
In 2011 the squadron started it's transittion to the Europhighter Typhoon, on which they became fully operational in 2013. "

" In the closing days of 2016, the Spanish Air Force finally put into service a dozen Eurofighter combat aircraft that it had stored on Albacete air base immediately after they were delivered because it lacked the funds to pay for them. "

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Soulfreak said:

Germany, since 30th April 2004 - JG 73 "Steinhoff"

about Germany I found this:

" In March 2000 the 2nd Squadron (F-4F Phantom II) was decommissioned and after a short break it was then re-activated as a training squadron for the Eurofighter. JG 73 received its first six (twin-seat) Eurofighter Typhoons on 30 April 2004 ". And the info about JG 73 and Typhoons stops here. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taktisches_Luftwaffengeschwader_73 )

UPDATE for Germany:

I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taktisches_Luftwaffengeschwader_31

" The first four Eurofighters arrived at Nörvenich on 16 December 2009 and with the departure of the last Tornados on 25 June 2010 JaBoG 31 became the Luftwaffes first operational Eurofighter wing. A total of 31 Eurofighters will be based at Nörvenich ". They say here that JG 31 was the first operational and that in 2010. So which one is it ? 2004 or 2010 ?

Wiki is wrong.

In 2004 the JG-73 Steinhoff gave their last MiG-29G to Poland. In the same year they got their first EuFi's.   Unit designation today TaktLwG 73 „S“ Steinhoff

JG-74 since July 2006 . Unit designation today TaktLwG 74 , former Mölders. Since 2005 the name is not used anymore.

JBG-31 since December 2009. Unit  designation today TaktLwG 31 „B“ Boelke

JG-71 since April 2013.  Unit designation today TaktLwG 71 „R“ Richthofen

Edited by Gepard
  • Thanks 1

I see. Thanks for the insight and correction Gepard.