Sign in to follow this  
MarkEAW

Basic v1.29 (stripped down)

Here's Col. Gibbons download of the Basic version of 1.29 from JAN 2016. (452.62MB)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wiw0d6py43kidwf/EAW129+Basic.exe

I believe its been stripped down to just the Europe Area
It supports drop and play supposedly, just like the stock game I guess. See if you can get this one to work.
If not try v1.28c/d/e ??

EDIT:
Re-added the link for those wanting it.

Edited by MarkEAW
re added link for those asking for it.

According to Jel on the SimHQ EAW forum, he's examining this version download (along with others) and is determining if its "OK"..

I think hes rechecking what he uploaded previously to his account and replacing what needs to be replaced. But IDK for sure.
MrJelly should have a working updated 129 in the future, from what I gather.

Unfortunately, 1.29 drops but does not play, for me. It loads and I can pick a plane and create a mission, but as soon as i attempt to 'fly' I get an immediate 'European Air War has stopped working' message, with reference to a '6204' exception.

Did you use the download linked in this thread?

or

Did you get 129 elsewhere?

I got the file I have working for 129 on Win10, even the smacker movie playedback, but slow.
(I'm running EAW:    1.29 NewMap 26th January 2016)

Anyhow:

You maybe getting that error during the movie playback. For some reason jel included the 284meg movie with it. 

You need to delete the eaw.ini configuration file first.

Then download an empty MOVIES.CDF and replace the one in the games main folder. (or just hit ESC key to bypass the movie before it crashes)

Then run the eaw.exe directly to load upto the main screen, then goto instant mission and see if it loads the flight screen.

Edited by MarkEAW

It seems that 1.29 will not work, for me, in widescreen resolution. I can get it to work in 1024x768, but it crashes in the 1920x1080 resolution that I have working in all my other EAW installs. Ah well.

Well don't leave us hanging.

Could you at least please answer the questions I have asked in previous post for others to learn from?

Edited by MarkEAW
?

Sorry, Mark, I thought I had implicitly answered the question. However, it is a fault of mine that I often fail to realise I might be the only one who knows what I'm talking about.

I tried all your recommendations. I installed the small movies cdf and started directly from the exe-indeed I had already tried this before to no avail. Today, I redownloaded the file in case my old one was corrupt, but with the same results. Finally, I took your advice to delete the eawini and this is what led me to the cause of my problem. When I ran it post-deletion, the game worked. When I exited and examined the ini, the resolution had reduced to 1024x768. When I changed it back to 1920x1080, the same ctd resulted. When I used my usual ini from my 1.28E setup in 1.29 and changed the resolution in that one from 1920x1080 down to 1024x768, the 1.29 game also worked. Hence, I concluded that the 1.29 exe has a problem with widescreen resolutions. To me, using 1.28E and 1.60, there is no motivation whatsoever to persist with 1.29, unless I'm missing something very major.

Of course, if somebody can adjust the 1.29 exe for widescreen, this would resolve the problem.

Edited by Sky High

Thats odd. Unless your using a wrapper on one and not the other(129)...... Could be controller related issue too, the game will CTD if the controls are not configured properly if you have some hooked up. EAW sometimes detects wrong.

I don't think anything that would effect screen res was modified in 129. However document notes on the changes I think where not available and only a general run down of what was changed exists. I'd have to go over my site and read the notes Jel provided some time ago.

Also, I noticed Jel had just posted a newer 129 version on media fire from last year, it may be a better version by a few months. that you may want to check out. Goto SimHQ Forums or wait for him to post here....

PS Make sure you use a unique game folder name like \129Basic  or \129  Cause windows surly wrote some reg entries from your previous tests.

Thanks for answer my questions and providing a detail account of your trials.

I'm currently downloading Jel's big 1.29 installation, so will post how I get on.

Update: Jel's 1.29 eawexe works. It is an old map one. He had two other exe's in the download. The new map one provides the same ctd. The Colonel's exe was also a new map version. That seems to be my problem. Perhaps a complete 1.29 install is required, rather than the basic.

Is there any advantage to going from 1.28EV21 to 1.29May16 as the foundation for my custom install?

Edited by Sky High