Durasoul

Unknown Maverick models

I was watching some videos on public domain about the Air Force personnels who help loading weapons for some training sorties.. The Maverick missiles appear to be some newer variants that I haven't seen before (through any media). 

Funny thing is that they have mixed colors Olive Drab for the motors while some plain White ,some Grey (like the 65F) What are those models ??:dntknw:

UNKNOWN_MAV_01.jpg

UNKNOWN_MAV_02.jpg

UNKNOWN_MAV_03.jpg

• Like 1

The designation AGM-65H was assigned to AGM-65B/D missiles upgraded with the new CCD seeker , the AGM-65K is an AGM-65G upgraded with the CCD seeker. At least 1200, but possibly up to 2500, AGM-65G rounds are planned for conversion to AGM-65K standard. The CATM-65H and CATM-65K are the captive-carry training versions of the AGM-65H/K

the CCD seeker section for both versions are the same and named HK-2

here is a renamed AGM-65B , this AGM-65B was renamed to AGM-65H and changed to an CCD seeker at Ramstein AB , the missile in your picture above is a AGM-65D with CCD seeker renamed to AGM-65H

Image2.thumb.jpg.12193393cb37c05d25c1f0bcfaacc436.jpg

Edited by ravenclaw_007
  • Like 8

Thank you very much for the information on the CCD seeker/guidance section upgrade, RC.:smile: People might see me as bit lazy for not researching info. on my own. My thinking is that there are of course lots of information on the internet, yet few of them are really credible. I'd prefer instead ask you guys for my better understanding on stuff I'd like to know about..

On 2018/12/19 at 12:56 AM, ravenclaw_007 said:

the CCD seeker section for both versions are the same and named HK-2

Yes, neglecting the Navy's own upgrade plan on the AGM-65F(to re-seeker to the CCD; thus become the 65J) the Air Force's AGM-65H and K both  have the same CCD seeker. But the marking "HK2" could mean that a further upgraded "Version 2" CCD seeker is in place on both versions of the missile.

To clarify, I mean 

1) Olive Drab motor section, Plain White "HK2" seeker section could suggest it as the AGM-65K2 ; bigger 136 Kg penetrating warhead like the K/G2/G/E, further improved 65K

2) All White motor section, seeker section "HK2" could suggest it as the AGM-65H2 ; original 57Kg blast warhead like the A/B/D/D2/H, further improved 65H

I found a photo for case 2. upload later.

Secondly, the missile from my third picture clearly has an opaque seeker like the 65Ds that should not be the CCD seeker:dntknw: What is that model? the 65D2?? don't know

Have a look on this 65H2 clearly marked on the body

UNKNOWN_MAV_05.thumb.jpg.d8bc17229663712d41c5186c2ba177b4.jpg

And it is All White 

And Ravenclaw, if you plan to further enrich the Mavericks collection(for SF2) you 'll have to do lots of skinning work HAHA ;)

btw, in SF2 weapons editing do we have the lofting capability option for the non ARMs say, the 65D Maverick? Never messed with the CapabilityFlag= XXXX before..

Think of those military sim developers, scale model kits manufacturers and aviation publishers.. Whole bunch of information to organize! I have a few publications myself, not about the aviation industry though.

16 hours ago, Durasoul said:

Thank you very much for the information on the CCD seeker/guidance section upgrade, RC.:smile: People might see me as bit lazy for not researching info. on my own. My thinking is that there are of course lots of information on the internet, yet few of them are really credible. I'd prefer instead ask you guys for my better understanding on stuff I'd like to know about..

Yes, neglecting the Navy's own upgrade plan on the AGM-65F(to re-seeker to the CCD; thus become the 65J) the Air Force's AGM-65H and K both  have the same CCD seeker. But the marking "HK2" could mean that a further upgraded "Version 2" CCD seeker is in place on both versions of the missile.

To clarify, I mean 

1) Olive Drab motor section, Plain White "HK2" seeker section could suggest it as the AGM-65K2 ; bigger 136 Kg penetrating warhead like the K/G2/G/E, further improved 65K

2) All White motor section, seeker section "HK2" could suggest it as the AGM-65H2 ; original 57Kg blast warhead like the A/B/D/D2/H, further improved 65H

I found a photo for case 2. upload later.

Secondly, the missile from my third picture clearly has an opaque seeker like the 65Ds that should not be the CCD seeker:dntknw: What is that model? the 65D2?? don't know

olive drab motor is most likely a AGM-65D , white motor is a AGM-65B
the pictures i have from the K version shows a grey colored missile without the HK-2 mark , except for the Hungarian AGM-65K ( they are white )

for AGM-65H2 no idea

the missile with olive drab motor and grey colored seeker could be a simple AGM-65D , the CCD seeker has a clear glas and looks like a AGM-65B seeker

3 hours ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

olive drab motor is most likely a AGM-65D , white motor is a AGM-65B

Ravenclaw, I have been thinking on this for a while and now I have another idea.

I could have made mistakes by sorting the missiles according to their colors. Back to the very beginning, the AGM-65D differ from the AGM-65B (not considering the colors) mainly by the IIR seeker that enables a 24/7, all weather attack capabilities, and the warhead has not been changed; the same 57 Kg shape charge warhead. If we follow this logic and we could easily deduce that the conversion of both the 65D and the 65B back to a version that shares the same CCD seeker would produce a version of the same capabilities, therefore both named the AGM-65H. The 65H has two possible original rockets therefore it makes sense for having 2 different looking 65H missiles: One with OD motor, white seeker(65D > 65H) while the other all white(65B > 65H)

The AGM-65H2 could be new produced missiles, not converted ones.

Following the same logic I assume the K would have grey motor, white seeker

We should never judge by the missile's color. Example, due to the "SCENE MAG" markings which stand for Scene Magnification, this is an 65B training round on a RNZAF A-4K aircraft.

AGM-65B-A-4K-RNZAF-Avalon-CKopp-1S.thumb.jpg.ff40fbd91cf7739915409482b8d6d272.jpg

(Copyright Carlo Kopp, Air Power Australia 1992, 2005)

A-10_Warthog_-_Inert_Maverick_(Balikatan

RoyKabanlit [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons

Another AGM-65B training version, White aft section with grey "SCENE MAG" seeker

2 hours ago, Durasoul said:

Following the same logic I assume the K would have grey motor, white seeker

There actually is a version of this color combination missile

F-16_firing_Maverick_Missile.jpg

Wikimedia commons

This thread is supposed to be closed but I found that the USAF has its own laser guided version of the Mavericks. What I found could be the AGM-65L:dntknw:

Original Photo on Wikimedia Commons, A-10

An_A-10_love_story_130508-F-LR266-795.jp

Staff Sgt. Christopher Willis [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

If you zoom in you could see the marking.. (I could be wrong though:dntknw:)

AGM-65L_zoom.thumb.jpg.c0e9fcb6aa44970159e1cee78ebdd336.jpg