SAML S.2

The SAML S.2 was an improved version of the Aviatik B.I which was built under license by the Societá Anonima Meccanica Lombarda (known as the SAML S.1.) The S.2 was specifically designed to fly in the mountainous terrain of the Italian Front. Improvements mostly involved the wings, which had a slight sweep and were closer together than the Aviatik design. The biggest improvement was the more powerful Fiat A.12 engine capable of delivering 300hp.

The SAML S.2 was used primarily for reconnaissance and was armed with a fixed Fiat-Revelli machine gun over the wing with a ring mounted machine gun operated by the observer.

My SAML S.2 includes 2 skins with appropriate decals and a small bomb loadout. I have included my skinning templates with the download.

Version 2 - More accurate fuselage and gunner station, corrected wing placement and dihedral, corrected gauges in cockpit - all new LODs, revised skins, revised FM, new cockpit LOD and revised cockpit.ini

Credits:
My thanks to Ojcar for making the data.ini file for this plane and for providing valuable resources and advice on the details of the SAML S.2.

Installation instructions:
For FE1: Unzip the file and move the folder named "SAMLS2" into the FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. 

For FE2: Unzip the file and move the folder named "SAMLS2" into the FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. Then in the FirstEagles/Objects/Decals folder, create a new folder named "SAMLS2". Move the folder named "D" from the Aircraft/SAMLS2 folder into the Decals/SAMLS2 folder you just made. 

• Thanks 3

Many thanks Stephen for yet another fine new model. I have one wee problem with it though, the rear gunner seems obstinately to face the wrong way, please see the attachment.

How can I get him to turn round to cover the tail please?

Thanks

Mike

img00022.JPG

Mike, I haven't seem this in my install of FE (checked in both FE1 and FE2.) In your case, it looks like the game isn't recognizing the gunner. Check your data.ini and make sure that something hasn't been changed - especially the names in the SystemName area under Fuselage, and the names of the nodes under Gunner in the crew section.

13 hours ago, Mike Dora said:

How can I get him to turn round to cover the tail please?

Perhaps an error has crept in when downloading a file? I think you just need to reinstall the SAML S.2 again, removing the current version of your plane.

Thanks guys,

Reinstallation worked first time. I've no idea what I mucked up before, must be out of practice!

Changing subject, but still relevant, I'm re-reading "The Two-Headed Eagle" by John Biggins, a fictionalized account of the adventures and misadventures of Otto Prohaska, an Austro-Czech naval officer attached to the KuK Fliegertruppe on the Isonzo Front in 1916. Clearly grounded upon solid research into the period, it gives a dramatized but authentic picture of the Hapsburg Empire in its waning days. It is very far from dry though, with moments of farce and tragedy all narrated by the protagonist with a deep sense of irony. It is the third of four novels in the Prohaska series, all very highly recommended!

Cheers

Mike

IMG_1848.JPG.00e44ac414594f95b0c564d254019698.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 09.01.2019 at 4:52 PM, Mike Dora said:

Clearly grounded upon solid research into the period, it gives a dramatized but authentic picture of the Hapsburg Empire in its waning days. It is very far from dry though, with moments of farce and tragedy all narrated by the protagonist with a deep sense of irony.

No one has yet been able to surpass "The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk in the World War" by Jaroslav Hašek :biggrin:

Pryhody_bravoho_voyaka_Shvejka_-_Yaroslav_Hashek_UKR.jpg.6dee954e83489ad660958a03fe83a896.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1