Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

Are FE1 and FE2 identical for add-ons?

Just been noticing how much new stuff is available for First Eagles, but rather concerned that the downloads are not split into FE1 and FE2 like they are for Strike Fighters 1 and Strike Fighters 2.

I took a look at some of the downloads available, and they don't usually say which version they are for. So does this mean downloads work for both versions?

I was thinking of giving FE1 a try again, but knowing what is going to be compatible seems quite daunting.

Most addons for FE1/FEgold work fine in FE2, with minor tweaks to decals files, etc. Getting FE2 addons to work in FE1/FEgold may require a bit more work. Crawford has found a way to run several FE2 aircraft in FE1...I believe the relevant post is located under the "new aircraft" thread but I'm sure someone will pitch in with more detailed info. if necessary.

Happy holidays,

Von S :smile:

• Thanks 1

alexis99, try this link:  https://combatace.com/files/file/11290-unicode-ansi-file-batch-converter/?tab=comments

If you are prepared to learn how this works you can convert FE2 files for use in FE1. Its a matter of changing the .ini files from Unicode to Ansi. 

A long time ago I used Canadair's batch converter to alter the Campaign files and some FE2 aircraft and ground objects In Ojcar's Armchair Aces series for use in FE1, which you can still find in the Missions and Campaign download sections, You will find a few aircraft conversions in my Armchair Aces adaptions that you might make use of for each specified aircraft.  Real Life forced me away from CA and I am just now getting back into fiddling with bits and pieces...I wish I had more free time.

I cant fly FE1 on my windows 10 so I cant work with those files anymore, but read Canadair's notes. The conversions are simple enough but time consuming. 

Edited by Grinseed
additional info

Thank you. My current problem is figuring which files work with FE1, when they don't carry information saying which version they are designed for.

23 hours ago, alexis99 said:

Thank you. My current problem is figuring which files work with FE1, when they don't carry information saying which version they are designed for.

You can assume that just about everything for First Eagles at Combat Ace will work in FE1 I use FE1 most of the time and just about everything I've downloaded works fine in FE1. Geezer has made some planes recently that only work in FE2. VonS has made some data files that are intended for FE2. I think everything else will work in both.

Most of the modders here are making things that work in both. Everything that I have made so far will work in both FE1 and FE2, but there may be different installation procedures.

Edited by Stephen1918

22 hours ago, Stephen1918 said:

Geezer has made some planes recently that only work in FE2.

No, Geezer has no such planes. All his models work fine in FE1. Just some of them need a small revision.))

That's brilliant, guys. Thank you so much for your advice. I shall start downloading.

Hope that Caporetto Terrain works - that's what caught my eye.

• Like 1