I was wondering how to edit a ships data.ini in order to make a ship more difficult to destroy. Ships like the modern Ticonderoga class cruiser in the game can withstand many bomb hits and not sink, but other ships such as WWII cruisers can be sunk with one bomb. Obviously in actual combat these huge vessels could withstand significant damage before succumbing to the many bomb hits inflicted upon them. Since the Ticonderoga I mentioned earlier can withstand significant damage, there must be a way to edit other ships to enable them to withstand the same amount of damage. Just wondering how to do this.

Thanks Everyone

extract data ini, and increase hulll, deck and superstructure armor. The values, of course are in mm, and for most ships easily researched.

Don't forget about the "SinkTime=" line. Add if needed (many early ships don't have it. It's in seconds. Large, well armored fighting ships should take a "predictably" long time (depending on damage of course re: HMS Hood), 2-3 minutes for cruisers and smaller, 5-7 for carriers (mabye?) BBs 7-10 ???? (since no Iowas have ever been sunk, hard to calculate)

• Like 2

@warthog64 Which ships are you having trouble with? I have done a lot of data file work with ships and ground objects so if I can take a look at the ones giving you issues I may be able to diagnose what the problem is and fix it.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KJakker said:

@warthog64 Which ships are you having trouble with? I have done a lot of data file work with ships and ground objects so if I can take a look at the ones giving you issues I may be able to diagnose what the problem is and fix it.   

Thanks KJakker

It's primarily all the ships from Rising Sun by YAP. However the stock TW Spruance class destroyer also can be sunk with very little effort. There are others but I can't remember all of them off the top of my head. I'll have to check over the next week and I'll mention them as I find out. 

I have found that the most significant factor for ease of sinking is the line StructuralFactor= , rather than the thickness of the armor.

If you look at the stock ships, the [Hull] and [Superstructure] of the Tanker and CargoShip have StructuralFactor=5.0, and they sink pretty easily.

The warships (CGN-36, CVA-63 and SummnerFRAM), which are hard to sink, have StructuralFactor=1000.0

So I would try adding this line, if it is not already present, and try some different numbers above or below 1000.

I have found it hard to sink the Udaloys and Slava @KJakker provided mods for.  Seems to me KJakker got the SAMs and AAA to properly work... below is a F-2A watching a horde of ASM-2 missiles try to take on a Russian reinforcement fleet.

img01820.thumb.JPG.5f1939d434837c7dd40c5e2e20115f4e.JPG

That explosion you see there is an ASM-2 meeting a premature end.

• Like 1

Other ships that are very easy to destroy are most of the ships from the Falklands War mod. Such as the Type 21 frigate and Type 42 destroyer. 

Thanks everybody for your help!

Edited by warthog64
  • Like 1

The "StructuralFactor" really seemed to make a difference. Seems a good number for WWII carriers is 700, certainly makes the task of sinking them much more realistic. Took about three well placed 500kg bombs to destroy the CV-5 USS Yorktown from Rising Sun.

Thanks again everyone

@warthog64 I am in the possess of doing a full data file overhaul for the Falklands and the YAP Rising Sun ship data files. Falklands 82 ships should come first. 

Also that seems too weak for a US carrier due to US damage control.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJakker said:

@warthog64 I am in the possess of doing a full data file overhaul for the Falklands and the YAP Rising Sun ship data files. Falklands 82 ships should come first. 

Also that seems too weak for a US carrier due to US damage control.

That sounds great! Thanks KJakker

As for the structuralfactor, 700 seemed to work fine for the Yorktown, but so far that's the only ship I've tested. What number would you recommend?

It looks like an estimate of "Two Weeks" would have been right on time for this project. To give you an update, I just have to finish work on the data files for the General Belgrano and give the edited ships an in game test and the Falklands 82 ships should all be ready. I would say within the next couple of days.

The data files for the YAP Rising Sun ships will still be awhile yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took me a little longer than I planned as I got bogged down in a number of details involving ships, guns, AAA and SAM's.

Try this and see how it works for you.

Falklands_Ship_&_AAA_Update_Test.7z

Note: Ships with files designated Mod1 and Mod2 indicate proper top speed or all stop is set respectively. The way I have the files set in the attachment is the same way speed is set in the base Falklands 82 mod, as such you should be able to drop all if the files into your Falklands mod folder and they should work straight away. Be sure to back up just in case. 

If you are using the ships in any other install then make sure the data file reference in the ship's main INI file is pointing to the Mod1 variant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, warthog64 said:

Thanks for the mod KJakker. Certainly makes a difference. 

@warthog64 and @JosefK Please give me some testing details. Given the work I put into this I am considering creating and uploading a complete ground object overhaul pack for the Falklands 82 campaign.

Also which YAP Rising Sun ships are you most interested in updated data files for? There are a lot more of them and I would like a place to start.

@KJakker The larger ships including the Royal navy carriers seem to be more resistant to bomb hits. The destroyers are also slightly more resistant usually taking a few hits with 500 pound bombs to sink. The frigates however seem to sink easily still with one bomb. 

The air defenses are also more formidable, nice job!

In regards to Rising Sun I would be most interested in updated data for all carriers as well as heavy cruisers.

Thanks again 

• Like 1

On 17/2/2019 at 10:25 PM, KJakker said:

Really good job, I took the audacity, and downloaded this update... but the ships do not emit any type of sound when firing

On 17/2/2019 at 10:25 PM, KJakker said:

Took me a little longer than I planned as I got bogged down in a number of details involving ships, guns, AAA and SAM's.

Try this and see how it works for you.

Falklands_Ship_&_AAA_Update_Test.7z

Note: Ships with files designated Mod1 and Mod2 indicate proper top speed or all stop is set respectively. The way I have the files set in the attachment is the same way speed is set in the base Falklands 82 mod, as such you should be able to drop all if the files into your Falklands mod folder and they should work straight away. Be sure to back up just in case. 

If you are using the ships in any other install then make sure the data file reference in the ship's main INI file is pointing to the Mod1 variant.

Really good job, I took the audacity, and downloaded this update... but the ships do not emit any type of sound when firing

I don't think they ever did. I mean I don't routinely watch ships fire so I could be wrong, but then again this is the first time the issue has been mentioned too.