realSKY Environment

realSKY Environment
January 13th, 2019 (1st Release)
by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
This is my sky enhancement mod. It also combines the work of many other modders, in order to provide a realistic, better looking sky. Here below a quick summary of the changes:
-Tweaked sky colours, something in between Cellinsky's widesky and the stock SF2 colours.
-More realistic Night colours, sky and ambient are much darker.
-More atmospheric, reddish transition from Twilight to Night.
-New "dark blue" High Altitude colours (fly near space with a NF-104).
-Moon produces a yellowish light instead of the default purple.
-Sky is "wider" much like Cellinsky's widesky mod (background horizon clouds are bigger and more noticeable).
-Added beautiful cloud graphics made by Cellinsky and ShrikeHawk, tweaked for each weather type.
-Added a low number of stray clouds to Clear weather.
-Added noticeable clouds to Overcast weather and Inclement weather, "fixing" a known SF2 "bug".
-Combined various mods to produce a more interesting Rain Effect under Inclement weather.
-Added Stary's lens flare effects from the SARCASM 2 mod, in place of Cellinsky's widesky effects.
-Added Cloud Layer graphics by Stary, Fubar512 and Brain32.
-Reworked secondary atmospheric effects, such as contrails and wingtip vortexes.

In addition, the package includes alternative environment configuration files in the Alternative Weather folder; they enable different effects for the Inclement weather. You can choose between thunderstorm (default, adapt for most terrains), snowstorm (for cold, icy terrains) and sandstorm (for hot, desert terrains).
For those who wish not to change the effect globally, I highly suggest to try the included terrain-specific environment example provided for stock SF2 terrains; the default global effect is thunderstorm, while terrains with their own environment file either use sandstorm or snowstorm as appropriate. Use this as a basis to customize other terrains.

By setting the Effects to Unlimited, the game makes use of a DirectX 10 post processing effect; the stock game's post processing shader generates a pointless and horrible bloom effect which excessively blinds the player during twilight transitions.
By default, realSKY includes a reworked post processing shader (TWPOSTPROCESS.FX) which provides more contrast, more vignetting, minor color correction and a daytime-only bloom effect, so it's miles better than what the stock game offers. Alternative post processing tweaks are included in the Alternative Shaders folder; choose the one you wish to try (check the included screenshots for fast comparisons) and overwrite the default one in your mod's Flight folder.
If you don't care about the post processing effect, you may want to set the game's Effects to High in the Options menu.

>Credits (in no particular order):
-Cellinsky, for his fantastic widesky mod from which I borrowed some tweaks.
-Stary, for his Thunderstorm and Heavy Snowfall weather mods, and his SARCASM 2 beta mod from which I borrowed some effects.
-PanamaRed, for tweaks in regards to Clouds (especially the Broken weather ones).
-Fubar512 and Brain32, for their Cloud Layer Top bitmaps, which I have smoothed for a better looking effect.
-ShrikeHawk, for his CloudSkins mods, from which I took the spectacular cloud graphics.
-BearGryllis, for his Thunderstorm Pack With Enhanced Lightnings 2.0b package.
-Orsin, for his Improved Rain Effect and Heavy Rain 0.8 mods.
-luk1978, for his interesting WeatherEffect package.
-ArmedLightning, for his Special FX v2.2 mod for the GTR 2 game, from which I borrowed a lens flare effect.
-baffmeister, for the idea of recreating sandstorm weather effects.
-tiopilotos, for suggesting improvements on other subjects.
-Eagle114th, for his Improved Wingtip Vortex mod which I have reworked.
-JosefK, guuruu and Coupi, for their interest and support.

I included the original readme files from the mentioned mods, where available, to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

>Disclaimer:
This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.1; Inclement weather effects are much better now. I suggest to redownload and check it yourselves.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.2; two new lens flare effects have been added and some issues with fog colours have been addressed, now everything is how it should have been.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Menrva said:

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.2; two new lens flare effects have been added and some issues with fog colours have been addressed, now everything is how it should have been. Package is pending approval.

At this point, I couldn't imagine SF2 w/o it.  It's like Real Environment Xtreme for SF2.

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.3; huge overhaul of the mod, check the change log!

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Absolutely wondrous!!!!!! :good::good:  SF2 sky is now up amongst the best in the flightsim world!!!

Really appreciated!!

• Thanks 1

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.4; it includes a minor bug fix that was needed for desert terrains.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Menrva said:

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.4; it includes a minor bug fix that was needed for desert terrains.

@Stratos Package is still pending approval.

I'm busy as hell, work at the hospital, studying, the kids...

@Stratos Hey, no worries mate, I wasn't in a hurry. I just tagged you because I have no idea who else could approve it. AFAIK the other admins and moderators are American chaps who must be sleeping by now due to timezones.

Edited by Menrva

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

@Stratos Hey, no worries mate, I wasn't in a hurry. I just tagged you because I have no idea who else could approve it. AFAIK the other admins and moderators are American chaps who must be sleeping by now due to timezones.

No problem, was the rant moment of the day. lol

• Haha 1

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.5; read the change log for further details.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.6; read the change log for further details.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.7; read the change log for further details.

• Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] Republic F-7S Thunderstorm
      Republic F-7S Thunderstorm for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the stock MiG-23P to give a fictional Republic F-7S Thunderstorm in service with the Aeronautica Militare during the 1970-2005 timeline and includes the famous 'Devil' markings of 6 Stormo (154 Gruppo).
      You'll need to have SF2E for the Mig-23P LOD's (not included) and the pit from the F-105D_66 is used to get you flying.  Radar and avionics are not my thing so forgive me if I've overlooked something but I like to make my mods nice and simple, just like me. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-7S folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-7S folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 9th, 2024.

Submitter Spinners Submitted 03/22/2010 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      Republic F-7S Thunderstorm for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the stock MiG-23P to give a fictional Republic F-7S Thunderstorm in service with the Aeronautica Militare during the 1970-2005 timeline and includes the famous 'Devil' markings of 6 Stormo (154 Gruppo).
      You'll need to have SF2E for the Mig-23P LOD's (not included) and the pit from the F-105D_66 is used to get you flying.  Radar and avionics are not my thing so forgive me if I've overlooked something but I like to make my mods nice and simple, just like me. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-7S folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-7S folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 9th, 2024.

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] BAC Lightning F.6N 'NATO'
      BAC Lightning F.6N for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2:Europe
      This mod is meant for those without the Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2 (for Strike Fighters 2 Europe) and is a simple mod of Russouk2004's superb BAC Lightning F.Mk6 from the SF1 archives to give a fictional F.6N (N for NATO) in service with four NATO air forces (Italy, The Netherlands, Spain and the UK) in a 1966 to 1988 timeline. 
      Unfortunately, the 3D model has some issues with decal bleed on the vertical tail and also with shadow 'ropes' but I've elected to leave shadows ON. I've had a play with the FM by pasting in some Third Wire Lightning DNA including adding 'ghost' outer wings to allow for this 3D model having a one-piece wing whereas the Third Wire Lightning has a two-piece wing and I've also fiddled with the mass fractions to distribute the weight. It flies really nice and will perform a 'hands free' take-off (flaps down, throttle up, brakes off) with the usual ability to supercruise and climb supersonicly.  As this mod is meant for those without the Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2 I've used the pit from the stock F-4B Phantom.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the LightningF6N folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the LightningF6N folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the SOUNDS folder drag and drop both files into your Sounds folder.
      Bingo Fuel!

CREDITS
      Massive thanks to Russouk2004 for creating the Lightning F.Mk6 a real British thoroughbred.
      Thanks also to Sundowner for the silver/NMF Lightning skin used for all eight skins with tail markings pasted on top by yours truly.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - January 28th, 2024

Submitter Spinners Submitted 04/03/2010 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      BAC Lightning F.6N for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2:Europe
      This mod is meant for those without the Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2 (for Strike Fighters 2 Europe) and is a simple mod of Russouk2004's superb BAC Lightning F.Mk6 from the SF1 archives to give a fictional F.6N (N for NATO) in service with four NATO air forces (Italy, The Netherlands, Spain and the UK) in a 1966 to 1988 timeline. 
      Unfortunately, the 3D model has some issues with decal bleed on the vertical tail and also with shadow 'ropes' but I've elected to leave shadows ON. I've had a play with the FM by pasting in some Third Wire Lightning DNA including adding 'ghost' outer wings to allow for this 3D model having a one-piece wing whereas the Third Wire Lightning has a two-piece wing and I've also fiddled with the mass fractions to distribute the weight. It flies really nice and will perform a 'hands free' take-off (flaps down, throttle up, brakes off) with the usual ability to supercruise and climb supersonicly.  As this mod is meant for those without the Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2 I've used the pit from the stock F-4B Phantom.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the LightningF6N folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the LightningF6N folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the SOUNDS folder drag and drop both files into your Sounds folder.
      Bingo Fuel!

CREDITS
      Massive thanks to Russouk2004 for creating the Lightning F.Mk6 a real British thoroughbred.
      Thanks also to Sundowner for the silver/NMF Lightning skin used for all eight skins with tail markings pasted on top by yours truly.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - January 28th, 2024

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] Red Arrows Lightning F.3
      BAC Lightning F.3 - Red Arrows Aerobatic Display Team
      This is a simple mod of the stock Lightning F.3 to create a fictional 'Red Arrows' Lightning! You must have the SF2 Expansion Pack 2 installed. Please do not download this if you do not have the Third Wire Lightnings.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the LightningF3ra folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the LightningF3ra folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      Special thanks to sundowner for uploading his superb Lightning template to Combat Ace.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 1 - December 6th, 2023
      Submitter Spinners Submitted 12/06/2023 Category What If Hangar  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..