[MOVE_CaseRadarAlt_Z]
Type=NOZZLE_POSITION_INDICATOR
NodeName=case_radaralt
MovementType=POSITION_Z
Set[01].Position=-0.005
Set[01].Value=0.0
Set[02].Position=-0.005
Set[02].Value=1.0

So what you are saying is that I can MOVE, in SF1 series, using this syntax (and tweak) the position of the gunsight, in the HUD ? Ok, I'll give it a try and, later , I'll let you know if it worked. Thanks.

UPDATE

Man , as I see it, you HAVE TO KNOW syntax big time here, mostly "hidden" ones which you won't see it regularely in TK files. I know some, learned it over years of modding, but some it's completely stranger for me, I must confess.

I found the mesh for the gunsight , I think, so I know its node, too. How do I know in which Type to catalogue it to ?

Type=NOZZLE_POSITION_INDICATOR

Type(for my case)= ????

Edited by UllyB

You dont need to extract the lod just read it. All you are after are the mesh names of the part you want to move, you will not be making any changes to the lod itself. Dont matter if its TW or 3rd party.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UllyB said:

The extractor utility, for SF2, can just READ the LOD, in fact it read the ini file. You cannnot extract any stock LOD from SF2 series. Third party maybe.

Who told you that? :shok: This is the first time I've heard about it.

Most likely, you were misled. In any case, the stock LODs are extracted from FE2 without any problems (using the same SF2 CAT extractor ).

Nope, ALL SF2 series lods are locked away, always have been.

1 hour ago, UllyB said:

...the position of the gunsight, in the HUD...

I don't seem to get, what you're after...

Maybe a screenshot would help?

I thought, you wanted to move the Gunsight in the cockpit...

If I read this above, than you actually want to move the display-mark, your nose is pointing, that is shown on the HUD itself?

13 minutes ago, Sundowner said:

Nope, ALL SF2 series lods are locked away, always have been.

:dunno:  Well, I don't know how about SF2, but I extracted LODs from FE2. It seems this is also a "SF2 series"?

yeap, exaclty that is what I want to do. I am sorry that communication is not that good, I am not a native English speaker. I have a gunsight, I changed the view angle (to downward) in its cockpit.ini, in order to see radar image 100% and because of that, the angle that the helo gun fires at,  has changed too and the gunsight display-mark is positioned, now (a sort of) wrong. So I have to move the gunsight  downwards to match the change. Now I think I was clear about what my intentions are.

Edited by UllyB

12 minutes ago, Crawford said:

:dunno:  Well, I don't know how about SF2, but I extracted LODs from FE2. It seems this is also a "SF2 series"?

Nope, you didn't, let me correct you: you extracted SF2 LODs from a THIRD PARTY aircraft, not from a SF2 stock model , which our collegue, above, already told you that is not possible. However with the LOD viewer you can see, via its ini file, the 3D model, but that's it.

That is why you made the whole confusion ;)

Edited by UllyB

Then you should probably have a look at the planes avionics.ini. If it has a HUD (many data shown, ususally in green), than there are several entries that are named "HUD_...". Something like that should be it.

If it's just a simple Gunsight (usually no other data shown), maybe you can change the depression-values in cockpit.ini under [GunsightFront]...I guess "DefaultDepression=" is the value you have to change.

Just try for yourself.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UllyB said:

Nope, you didn't, let me correct you: you extracted SF2 LODs from a THIRD PARTY aircraft, not from a SF2 stock model , which our collegue, above, already told you that is not possible. However with the LOD viewer you can see, via its ini file, the 3D model, but that's it.

That is why you made the whole confusion ;)

Did you understand what you wrote? Where in the CAT-file of FE2 can take a "THIRD PARTY aircraft" ???  :biggrin:  Of course, I extracted the most natural FE2 stock model

I don't even know what the matter is. Maybe FE2 is really different from SF2 (this is hardly the case). Or do patches affect the ability to extract files? Or are the utilities different? ... :dntknw:

33 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Did you understand what you wrote? Where in the CAT-file of FE2 can take a "THIRD PARTY aircraft" ???  :biggrin:  Of course, I extracted the most natural FE2 stock model

I don't even know what the matter is. Maybe FE2 is really different from SF2 (this is hardly the case). Or do patches affect the ability to extract files? Or are the utilities different? ... :dntknw:

So, you are saying that you CAN extract SF2 stock LODs ? That is what you are saying ? If so, TK must be worried if he finds out :),  and you must share with us how you do it :)

1 hour ago, Nyghtfall said:

Then you should probably have a look at the planes avionics.ini. If it has a HUD (many data shown, ususally in green), than there are several entries that are named "HUD_...". Something like that should be it.

If it's just a simple Gunsight (usually no other data shown), maybe you can change the depression-values in cockpit.ini under [GunsightFront]...I guess "DefaultDepression=" is the value you have to change.

Just try for yourself.

There are no gunsight/HUD lines in avionics.ini, just the sound lines for RWR. In cockpit.ini I indeed have "DefaultDepression="  declaration, but HOW DO I KNOW what value to use, to match the exact distance for my change ? I can't put any value , can I ? What exactly, by the way, does this "depression" parameter actually ? I saw it in many cockpit.ini files and I always wondered what it really does.

This is what I have:

[GunsightFront]
HasGunsight=TRUE
GunsightMilSize=30
GunsightName=Estrella.tga
LeadComputing=TRUE
MinLeadRange=100
MaxLeadRange=1000
DefaultLeadRange=300
MaxDepression=0
//DefaultDepression=40

Edited by UllyB

ok, let's settle this...

Not to belittle the  FE2 community (of which you all have my greatest respects), it is so small, TK didn't/hasn't bothered with patchs/updates/upgrades since 2010-ish.

The last patch for 1stGens (SF/WoV,WoE) was 2008. I'm not counting the WoI upgrade/dlc/whatever that added a few aircraft and almost brought ONLY that game to the initial release level of SF2.

SF2 has had (more than) 2 patches since then; one of those (2012 or 2013) moved ALL lods from every cat file in the game -including the terrain cats- to ObjectData002.cat. And locked them up. Simply to remove the possibillity of sharing (piracy). 

Mue's lod viewer only gives us the ability to "look at" the lod and it's textures. One dosen't need to extract anything to use it. As others have said, it's main purpose is to obtain mesh and texture names.

As to all this nonsense of 'moving the gunsight reticle', it's fixed in place; it's hardcoded. You think the experts haven't tried over the last 15 years? The only things you can do with it, are move it down via the Depression Angles, or have it partly track via Lead Computing = TRUE, and change it's color by repainting the tga.

The utter lack of clarity on what is actually trying to be accomplished here by the OP is astounding. Just simply state WHAT the hell you're trying to do, and perhaps someone will then chime in with the correct answer, if it's doable at all.

• Thanks 1

Well I already said, clearly what I want but if you say that is hardcoded in cockpit's LOD (which I implied initially, but people here told me that there is some workaround to be pursued) , this is really the end of the story. How was I suppose to know that ? I don't have YOUR knowledge and the forum I thought is for asking help in things you don't KNOW, wasn't build for that ?

You say that I am not clear ? Maybe my English is not as good as yours (I don't speak it native), but I think that is clear:

"I have a gunsight, I changed the view angle (to downward) in its cockpit.ini, in order to see radar image 100% and because of that, the angle that the helo gun fires at,  has changed too and the gunsight display-mark is positioned, now (a sort of) wrong. So I have to move the gunsight  downwards to match the change "

More clearly than that I can't. That's the limit of my English knowledge to explain something. I am sorry that is not good enough for you.

Edited by UllyB

10 hours ago, UllyB said:

So, you are saying that you CAN extract SF2 stock LODs ? That is what you are saying ? If so, TK must be worried if he finds out :),  and you must share with us how you do it :)

Yes it is. But I have nothing to share, since the game was ordinary and the extractor is ordinary. As Wrench said, file locking started after the 2012 patches. So, there were no blocking before the patches. And, as far as I know, for FE2 game I was talking about, new patches have not been released since the Jul 2010. That's all there is to it.

8 hours ago, UllyB said:

"I have a gunsight, I changed the view angle (to downward) in its cockpit.ini, in order to see radar image 100% and because of that, the angle that the helo gun fires at,  has changed too and the gunsight display-mark is positioned, now (a sort of) wrong. So I have to move the gunsight  downwards to match the change "

More clearly than that I can't.

As a rule, if there are not enough words, screenshots help a lot to explain. :smile:

However, the picture has already become so clear that it seems impossible to realize your plans for the crosshair. And I, too, was not so wrong when I said that the problem was in the game engine. The game considers that the aiming point should be somewhere in the middle. Therefore, even if you make a LOD file with a sight on the side of the cockpit, when you press the F3 key (GOTO_COCKPIT_GUNSIGHT_VIEW), you'll still look forward, rather than move to the side.

• Like 1

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for your insights. I'll take them into consideration.

Talk about sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

If you are talking about a fixed gunsight, you can put any mark, any digit, any letter, any graphic, on screen via the avionics file. And you can make it any colour, any size.

Make sure you're 70.dll, and this is how you place a fixed gunsight on screen

[HUDModeAA] (Or whichever mode you want it on)
Symbol[01]=HUD_Guncross

[HUD_GUNCROSS]
SymbolType=Image
ImageFilename=cockpit\HUD\A-7A_GUNCROSS (what the file is called and where you put it)
ImageSize=0.025 (Decide how big it is)
ImagePosition=0.00,0.00 (First co-ordinate  -left/right, second co-ordinate -up/down)

HorizontalAlignment=CENTER (co-ordinates relate to this center/center position)
VerticalAlignment=CENTER

Make the image position where you want it. e.: -1.45,0.17. That's left of centre, and down.

You have to steal the guncross from some other aircraft and put it in your cockpit/Hud folder correctly named

OR

[HUDModeAA]
Symbol[01]=HUD_GunsightText

[HUD_GunsightText]
SymbolType=TEXT
TextPosition=-0.0,-0.19 (Central, but up a bit)
HorizontalAlignment=CENTER
VerticalAlignment=CENTER
TextFormat=O (Letter "O")

So your gunsight is an "O"

Move it around using co-ordinates.

How to change HUD Colour and font:

[HUD]
HUDColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0 (Red, Green, Blue, intensity)(What I have there is yellow)
BoresightOffset=0.0,0.0
ViewportTopLeft=-0.40,-0.37
ViewportBottomRight=0.40,0.45
GunBoresightAngle=-2
RocketBoresightAngle=-5

[HUDFont]
TextFontName=Digital SF (This is a cool font. I'm also fond of Arial Narrow)
TextSize=20 (How big you want it)
TextBold=False (You can put "TRUE" and have it bold)

You're welcome.