FLOGGER23

Aircraft serials website (old soviet planes)

I remember there was a website which collected almost all of the Soviet (for the matter) planes serials per country and squadron, some even with plane pictures, however i can't find it...

I even know i saved the pages for the types i wanted as PDF in order to make historical planes, but i have too much data and can't find them either...

Is there someone around who can point me or know about a good website for eastern block countries plane serials???

TIA

The soviet serial numbers were always the same in all squadrons. Mostly 2 digit. Except the 13 (bad luck number). Very seldom 3 digit.

If two or more squadrons were placed on the same airfield the colors of the numbers was different.

• Like 1

Fruther to what Gepard wrote, if I understand correct, every "soviet" aircraft had a serial "production" number and then the so called "board number".

The "production number" was of course unique to each aircraft, while the "board number" could change.

In fact, speaking about the Bulgarian Air Force as an example during the Cold War, I have read from pilots and mechanics of the time, that the "board numbers" would sometimes be changed intentionally with the purpose of causing confusion about the actual number of operational aircraft. Perhaps that was the case not only in Bulgaria, but also in other Warsaw Pact countries.

This was only bulgarian.

The soviets does not need such "maskirovka". In all squadrons with red tactical numbers were "red 10" or "red 12" planes. There were so many "red 10s" in the USSR that it would be enough to confuse the NATO analysts. The NATO developed a methode to analyse the numbers in size and distance between the digits. So it was possible to identify a single plane with a certain accuracy.

BTW, the 2 digit tactical numbers were introduced during or short after the Korea War. In the time before the last 3 digits of the product identification number was used as tactical number.

In my old military service the tactical number was given out randomly. It was no logical system in it. It could happen, that the number was used twice. As long the planes or helicopters were operated by different units it was no problem. Only when two planes with the same number came to the same unit one plane was renumbered.

I know, that i have everywhere in my archiv an article about the soviet tactical number system. It was from early 90th. Perhaps i find it.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

Yes and not. Not everywhere.

Polish Air Force (as part of Warsaw Pact) used part of the serial number as aircraft number. For example, 761901 - 1901 last four digits. It indicates Mig 21 PF tac no 1901

76 is - 'product 76' - Izdeliye76  - factory designation of Mig-21PF

1901 is production number - so in Polish service, it was numbered 1901 on the fuselage. 

Only first batch of MiG-21F-13 used last three digits. (I think 12 airframes)

So for MiG-21 all serial numbers were constructed that way type number and production number

usually, it looked like this : (example)

MiG21F-13 - 74_ _ _ _

MiG21MF  - 96A_ _ _ _

MiG-21PF - 76_ _ _ _

MiG-21PFM - 94A _  _  _ 

MiG-21R - 94R _ _ _ 

MiG-2PFM-N - 94N - - - 

but there are some exceptions for subtypes mostly U/Um/US versions things get complicated here but it is also standardized. Usually adding some dedicated prefix for the subtype.

On Su-7 Polish Air force used two/three last digits of production number as aircraft tactical number - example Su-7BKL  - S22KL 7806 -  tac number 806 on a fuselage. 

MiG-1P is type izdeliye62 

62210721 - side number 721...

and so on...

every aircraft in Soviet factory had its own designation / serial number - system is simple but encoding units based on tactical number might be hard. Finding serial number based on side number even harder.

Although over the years the system is getting more complex.

Enoc are you aiming in some particular aircraft or generally soviet. 

• Like 1

As i do have several planes on the bench, and want to be as historical as possible (exceptions to be shown below) i would like to see if there is record of many Soviet/Russian planes.

I have got the numbers for all Su-17/20/22 so far, however where i could not be possible (TOO PITA) is with old Soviet planes ( i will create numbers from 01 to 99, period :biggrin:)

In other cases i will asume (as historical as possible) numbers in between...

Like the case of Iraqi Su-20's  which many books claim they had like 36 but records show only 15 on the website:

image.thumb.png.db346277ef757af8d20f1dc2a95a3b11.png

If you see between 20512 and 20520 there is a huge gap, so, i will fill with the numbers missing there (just assuming there existed)

Hope this won't bother anyone here ;)

THAT IS THE ONE!!!, YOU NAILED IT PAULO!!! 

Thanks a lot my friend!!!

My pleasure mate (still hoping to fly soon new looong awaited SU-17) !

:drinks:

Not far away from completing, early series getting last touches to their pits only

Edited by FLOGGER23
  • Like 1

Thanks for the resource links everyone!