Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

newbie questions

Can I use planes from SF1 into SF 2? Would they worked with SF2 cockpit attached ? If there is a limitation for porting SF1 planes to SF2 , what are the main points I might be needed to address ? Where should I place the aircraft if they work, I can't see any aircraft folder ? How about ground objects, where do they go, into which folder ? Where do I put a new map, I tried to put it in terrain folder but it doesn't appear in game, I can't select it?

Thank you.

Edited by UllyB

There are others in the SF2 knowledgebase section - look there

ok, thanks. I've got another one, how do I read to see the stock LODs ? I tried to load the ini file in LOD viewer and it won't work ? Can't I see them ? Can I modify how stock planes look like in SF1 ? How can I change the look of a stock plane if I don't know what its parts are named ? In archive are just some weird numbers and symbols.

I made a terrains folder where the knowledgebase pointed but it doesn' appear in the game. What name should have the folder that contains third partu terrains ?

Edited by UllyB

Thanks, maybe it is, but TK could've written a nice guide to help us learn the ropes here quicker. In that knowledge base MigBuster suggested to me, ther is no word about where third party terrains go and I feel stupid not being able to make a simple terrain to appear in game. The "language" in SF1 was easier. Here I already have difiiculties "learning" it.

Edited by UllyB

This is what 1 of my modded installs looks like......

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.532b42e5f68bf2cadb005bf590fb0126.jpg

If you've now go SF2 just get used to running the basic sim for a day or two, see where things are kept, dont try to run before you can walk, it will only end in fustration.

• Like 1

So you have to make a subfolder into

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2 main folder ?

I am confused 'cause in knowledge data base it says that the mod folder would be in:

C:\Users\NAME\Saved Games\ThirdWire\

ok, I figured it out finally where the terrains should stay. Thanks. I got another question: Does the SF2 engine support the SF1 shaders ? How can I see in LOD viewer a SF2 stock plane ? Where are the stock data.ini files hidden ? I installled the SF2 file extractor but it seems that I can't extract anything LOL,  I can't see anything in those damn CATs. Man is crazy this SF2, I already have a headache...

Edited by UllyB

Use Mue's cat extractor tool to extract the cats in the main SF2 directory(s), you use his lod viewer by selecting the aircraft main ini.....not data ini.

I did exactly that (that was the way I was handling 3D models in  SF1 , too), but it doesn't work. It gives an error. (unsuported file type if I try to see the CATs and can't load LOD for aircaft INIs)

If I try to open the CATs with SF2 extractor it says: "Error opening this . CAT file, no files can be extracted". At least data.ini should be available. I can't change anything, I can't do anything in this game it seems. Very frustrating. My guts knew why it told me to stick with SF1.LOL Maybe a particular solution for me would be to totally ignore  all the stock material and concentrate on bringing third party things...Just a thought.

Edited by UllyB

Frustration? it's impossible )) The best arcade sim in the world can't be a reason for frustration. Whatever you do, nothing can cause it. Moreover, all airplanes have long been converted to a new format. The only difference is in a more convenient modification method and the F12 key.  NO FEAR, man)

6 hours ago, bazillius said:

Frustration? it's impossible )) The best arcade sim in the world can't be a reason for frustration. Whatever you do, nothing can cause it. Moreover, all airplanes have long been converted to a new format. The only difference is in a more convenient modification method and the F12 key.  NO FEAR, man)

I don't follow... Could you be more specific ?

sf2 has it's own specific cat extractor.

and, as has been said numerous time before, there are NO extractable LODS is sf2. They are locked away in objectdata002.cat. OTH, Mue's viewer works perfectly well, when it's set up properly.

as to "how things work", you've missed the most important information in the KB

In other words the core install remains untouched. Everything is in the mods folder, in the /SavedGames folder.

Most importantly, don't go fucking around adding and tweeking and modifying things until you are COMPLETLY familiar with how the new SF2 system works. Give it a month or two. You won't be an expert overnight.

ok, thanks. I'll try to follow your advice. Thanks

EDIT

I finally found an exctractor to see the CATs. Is there any way (you suggested that a Mue LOD viewer well set is good, you meant that I can see LODs, via ini file, with it or I missunderstood?) to see the SF2 stock 3D models ? To see them, not to extract them;)

Edited by UllyB

Is there any way (you suggested that a Mue LOD viewer well set is good, you meant that I can see LODs, via ini file, with it or I missunderstood?) to see the SF2 stock 3D models ?

Just set the path of your SF2-Installation under "extras-->settings" in LOD-viewer. Otherwise it doesn't know where to find the CATs.

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's a different thing from SF1 but once you get the swing of things it's soooo much easier to mod SF2.

• Thanks 1