I wanted to replace the default hangar.jpg for a F-15A Baz with a custom one made by me. In SF1 hangar screen was a bmp file with alpha channel. I tried the custom hangar bitmap I had from SF1 for the same plane and it worked, it appeared as a hangar menu as it should. I created another one (I use PAINT.NET) , in the same way I did the original bitmap hangar file for SF1, but, as JPG , it won't work, it won't appear in the menu hangar. (the game instead loads the default one). I didn't know where is my mistake. Such a simple thing, should've worked, right ? I did some reasearch on the net and found confusing answers. Some say that JPG won't accept alpha channel, some say it does. I tried to check out the default one JPG. I replaced it with an ordinary one, resized it at the requiered width and length, but it didn't work either. Conclusion: the default JPG that SF2 uses for that has an alpha channel. Now I am stuck. I don't know how to do a valide JPG with alpah channel, other than in Paint.Net. The reason is simple, for SF1 it was enough, bitmaps built here worked with the alpha channel attached. Could be the Pain.net program the culprit ?  I was thinking that if that was the case, the program should've warned me (that can't make alpha channel for JPGs) when I tried to make one, but didn't happen.

Any ideas why I cannot create a simple JPG with alpha channel ? Or someone, it's simplier, could upload his custom JPG for it, to offer me the chance to take a look at the file ? Or both ?

Thank you

Edited by UllyB

You dont need an alpha channel for jpeg or bmp to work, even though screenshot .bmp's are saved with one.

The only use of Alpha-Channels in SF2 I know of is for decals --> TGA-files. They are used to cover areas, that should not be seen on the decal (everything, except the number or whatever the decals shows). All other files (BMP, JPG) do not require or use Alpha-Channels.

If I load the stock-loading-screen (blurred brownish F-4 picture) into Photoshop the file doesn't even have an Alpha-Channel...

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Thanks 1

I see, so if I make a simple JPG it should work. I did that and it doesn't appear. Could be the size ? Mine it's 1980x1080, the stock one, from the CAT, is 1024x768. If it is  the size then why the old  1920x1080 bmp one works ? So it is not the size. I don't have a clue why it doesn't appear.

Size doesn't matter...something one could check without ANY effort.

If the BMP works, than just use than one...

Otherwise:

Convert your BMP to a simple JPG, change the callout in the planes ini-file from BMP to JPG (not the data.ini) and it will also work...

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, UllyB said:

Or someone, it's simplier, could upload his custom JPG for it, to offer me the chance to take a look at the file ? 

Download my most recent file and there's a custom made hangar screen in there.

I found Paint far too simple (although it might have changed) so get yourself GIMP. It's all I ever use. It's all you'll ever need.

• Thanks 1

Are you editing Ini file of aircraft ? In this case F15 baz ? 

Edited by yakarov79
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

Are you editing Ini file of aircraft ? In this case F15 baz ? 

I didn't touch the entry for the hangar screen from the F-15A Baz ini file initially. I just changed it to test the old F-15A Baz hangar bmp I tried  from SF1 (which works) to see if it works but then I changed it back to JPG.

HangarScreen=F-15A_BAZ_HANGAR.jpg -> HangarScreen=F-15A_BAZ_HANGAR.bmp -> HangarScreen=F-15A_BAZ_HANGAR.jpg

I checked, it's the enry for JPG now and the syntax is correct.

[AircraftData]
AircraftFullName=F-15A Baz
AircraftShortName=Baz
AircraftDataFile=F-15A_Baz_data.ini
LoadoutFile=F-15A_Baz_loadout.ini
UserList=F-15A_Baz_UserList.ini
CockpitDataFile=F-15A_cockpit.ini
LoadoutImage=F-15A_Baz_loadout.TGA
HangarScreen=F-15A_BAZ_HANGAR.jpg
LoadingScreen=F-15A_Baz_Loading.JPG
AvionicsDLL=Avionics70.dll
AvionicsDataFilename=F-15A_Baz_avionics.ini

Edited by UllyB
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nyghtfall said:

Size doesn't matter...something one could check without ANY effort.

If the BMP works, than just use than one...

Otherwise:

Convert your BMP to a simple JPG, change the callout in the planes ini-file from BMP to JPG (not the data.ini) and it will also work...

I did that, converting the bmp that worked into JPG, but it still doesn't appear. All I see is this:

https://files.fm/u/3m6bagz7

As you can see, in 2560x1440 (the resolution I use) it looks weird

Is your *.ini file saved in UNICODE format ?

Edited by yakarov79
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

Is your *.ini file saved in UNICODE format ?

yes it is, I never tampered with it (it  is copied directly from the SF2 CAT):

https://files.fm/u/pesqzpxn

Edited by UllyB

could you please try it to see if it works for you as custom hangar screen ?  I upload both files, the bmp and the jpg one.

https://files.fm/u/hf3bxww5

The bmp will work for sure (for me as I said, works), but if the jpg won't work for you either...I would know that it's not something I do wrong.

Edited by UllyB

Yakarov's solution worked: changed the custom  hangar name and then modified accordingly the line in its ini file. The reason it didn't work was this:

the custom hangar jpg is overwritten by the stock one , IF the name is the same.

Thank you once again for your help and ideas!

Edited by UllyB

Still I think you shouldn't moderate by deleting posts...

quite not  ok. 

I didn't delete any posts here and I didn't delete any posts in the other one , with the hangar sounds. You just posted in the wrong thread, that's all. You posted in the worng thread and you thought that all other posts about the subject disappeared!  Please look to every post I did, there is nothing deleted in this thread and in the thread with the hangar sounds...

The only thing I edited in these two threads (hangar sound and hangar JPG) was the typos, because I am not an English speaker and I discover mistakes in my grammar/tense etc , that is all. I corrected them to be easier for who reads to understand.

PS - However if you refer to the post with decals, yes, I edited one of my post in which I was upset of what that collegue said and I considered I didn't deserve what he said. I edited because I realized that I won't go anywhere if I will show that his words upset me.

Edited by UllyB

Is there a template somewhere to help me create these kind of files?  Thanks in advance!

in the downloads section, there should be a buttload of "base templates" for all the stock screens (photoshop psd files).  I should know, I built them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wrench said:

in the downloads section, there should be a buttload of "base templates" for all the stock screens (photoshop psd files).  I should know, I built them.

I will go look, now that I'm mostly done flying for tonight and found where have some code to learn & add - namely naming ships!  Thank you!

EDIT: Got 'em @Wrench - You da man!  I know my way around photoshop, so I'll take it from here!  Won't let you down!!

img01470.JPG

Edited by JosefK
Got the files

if you place a hangar file image in each skin version of the same plane....did you know you get different skins  to show in hangar screen ?...just to add some confusion  lol

Mig29C_Hangar.jpg

Mig29C_Hangar.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, UllyB said:

is this a joke ?

It´s for real. Remember that SFP2 has some planes, like the WOI2´s Spitfire, that plays on friendly and enemy sides. Each one with its respecive hangar screens placed inside skin folder.

to further correct this, ONLY Player Flyable aircraft (tm) have hangar screens. None of the AI-only aircraft have ever had hangar/loading screens. For obvious reasons. 

And yes, in SF2, for stock aircraft (the F-4 series being the most pervasive), each skin has it's own matching hangar screen. Just look at the F-4B/J/N

• Like 1

alright then. I'll take that into consideration. Thank you.

Edited by UllyB