I'm constantly being shot down by missiles I can't find visually in the heat of the moment. Is there any way to padlock the threats like in Janes USAF?

There is no way to padlock a missile. However you can padlock the subject of the last radio call the <R> key by default: SELECT_LAST_RADIO=R

So if a SAM launch is called, you will be able to look at the launcher, and therefore presumably see the missile and/or its launch contrail. The same is true of an aircraft missile launch that has been called on the radio. The problem is that in a high threat environment, there may be multiple radio calls close together and you may not be padlocking what you wanted to padlock.

• Like 1

look at the RWR you`ll find a square flashing, that`s where the missile is coming from

switch your radar off, switch your ECM on, turn and make it 90 degrees to you then flip and go split-s while releasing counter measures, chaff if the square flashing after the 2nd circle from the center of RWR display, that means it`s radar guided missile, if it was closer release flare as that means it`s IR missile, if not sure release both alternatively, one chaff one flare continuously 

RWR can be useful if the aircraft has one... but only for radar guided missiles. The only warning you will get for an IR missile is possibly a launch call over the radio. In a high threat area like downtown Hanoi, the RWR will be so cluttered that it is effectively useless.

Robin Olds was forced to accept RWR field mods in his unit's F-4C Phantoms. He found them useless and turned the volume off. From the time they flew into enemy territory the RWR was lit up with threats from all directions... something he already knew. So he didn't want the distraction of all the audio warnings. He was a master of situational awareness. He was able to continuously call SAM launches and break warnings while engaging enemy MiGs.

SF2 in its final patched form has major limits on ranges for drawing objects. The range at which a B-52 becomes visible on screen is remarkably short for such a large aircraft. There is help somewhere on these forums on how to manipulate the ini files to get longer view ranges if your cpu, RAM, and gpu can handle it.

• Like 1

Robin Olds is the best leader and fighter pilot i`ve ever heard of

i remember the last time i played i had the RWR flashing close range, i gave it 45 bank and down rudder with flares, R-73 zoomed overhead

i was in F-15C

R-73 wouldn't trigger a RWR. Only the launching aircraft's radar.

• Like 1

yeah that`s right, my guess that AI plane locked on me with its radar on air combat mode

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cosmoseed said:

yeah that`s right, my guess that AI plane locked on me with its radar on air combat mode

Most likely.  It's what I would do - go into Air Combat Mode once in a dogfight, verify the target locked on is a true bandit then fire.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 7:52 PM, streakeagle said:

There is no way to padlock a missile. However you can padlock the subject of the last radio call the <R> key by default: SELECT_LAST_RADIO=R

So if a SAM launch is called, you will be able to look at the launcher, and therefore presumably see the missile and/or its launch contrail. The same is true of an aircraft missile launch that has been called on the radio. The problem is that in a high threat environment, there may be multiple radio calls close together and you may not be padlocking what you wanted to padlock.

Thanks for the reminder!  I so want to get more screenshots of missiles fired after the awesome screenies posted by @ravenclaw_007 on the screenshot thread: 

Below are my latest attempts to get weapons pictures.  As you can see I have work to improve my craft:

img01898.thumb.JPG.2dea0545d00f70df7c977036cc1a8394.JPG

AAM-4B salvo fired from F-15J

img01894.thumb.JPG.1eb282dfe4644afe069edfc6c4f9a2eb.JPG

The first shot of the 2020 Japan-Russia War was an anti-radiation missile from a Su-24 Fencer-D for a PAC-2 "Patriot" SAM Site.

img01814.thumb.JPG.b196ca7e8e473c0d040668d9e83af4df.JPG

AAM-5 heading for a Su-30 desperately putting out flares

There is an "Action View" that was finally made functional after many years of being a placeholder. It will automatically jump to events like weapon launches. Using action view or radio calls... use the pause button, then position the camera wherever you want it. You can quickly jump between aircraft or ground objects until you are near the shot you want, then go free camera to get the screenshot you want. It is hard to make videos because there is no way to record and playback a mission, so you may have to play the same or similar missions several times to put together a good video. But thanks to the pause button and the ability to move the camera anywhere, you can always get great screenshots.

The AI wasn't designed to leverage the abilities of the MiG-29 and Su-27. Those aircraft are really beyond the scope of the game. MiG-29/Su-27 AI should have their radars off and be positioned by GCI/AWACS, then try to use IRST, laser ranging, and HMS to avoid lighting up RWRs. In the right circumstances, MiG-29s and Su-27s could rack up kills way better than the VPAF did with MiG-21 hit-and-run Atoll tactics (which were really effective against rigid USAF formations and tactics).

If you are in a fairly big fight, your RWR may be lit up my multiple bogies from multiple directions. The RWR can only give you so much information. I was a submarine sonar tech. Submarines have WLR systems (sonar warning receivers). They false alarm quite a bit.  When you get a threat alarm (i.e. torpedo homing sonar), you have to decide is it real or false. If in doubt, you execute standard torpedo evasion maneuvers... which the enemy may know and intentionally force you to execute to draw you into a trap. Electronic warfare is a difficult game to win at 5 kts (typical submarine speed while trying to be quiet), way harder at 500 kts.

Keep in mind, the SF2 game is very predictable despite TK's efforts to make it otherwise. If you play enough, you will learn situational awareness, of which the RWR is only one part. You will learn the flaws in the AI logic and once you do, the AI will only beat you if you are tired, distracted, or go out of your way to avoid exploiting their weaknesses. Fly an F-4 against a horde of MiG-17s, MiG-19s, and/or MiG-21s. Fly a MiG-23 against a flight of F-4Es, F-15s, or F-16s. If you fly the same missions over and over, you can learn to win them. Once you do, the game becomes an algorithm... execute the right moves to avoid attacks while patiently waiting for useful/effective firing opportunities. Later patches made most of the missiles somewhat reliable when fired within parameters. You can get between 50% and 75% hit rates with early AIM-9, AIM-7, and R-3/K-13 (AA-2 Atoll) missiles if you are patient. With later variants, you don't have to be as patient or you can get 90% or better hit rates.

Edited by streakeagle

1 hour ago, streakeagle said:

There is an "Action View" that was finally made functional after many years of being a placeholder. It will automatically jump to events like weapon launches. Using action view or radio calls... use the pause button, then position the camera wherever you want it. You can quickly jump between aircraft or ground objects until you are near the shot you want, then go free camera to get the screenshot you want. It is hard to make videos because there is no way to record and playback a mission, so you may have to play the same or similar missions several times to put together a good video. But thanks to the pause button and the ability to move the camera anywhere, you can always get great screenshots.

Thanks @streakeagle.  I checked the keypad and the "Action View" is F12.  At least I believe in doing several run throughs and "what ifs" of each mission I write so yeah, I'll be using the F12 as I continue my checks of my coding.

1 hour ago, streakeagle said:

The AI wasn't designed to leverage the abilities of the MiG-29 and Su-27. Those aircraft are really beyond the scope of the game. MiG-29/Su-27 AI should have their radars off and be positioned by GCI/AWACS, then try to use IRST, laser ranging, and HMS to avoid lighting up RWRs. In the right circumstances, MiG-29s and Su-27s could rack up kills way better than the VPAF did with MiG-21 hit-and-run Atoll tactics (which were really effective against rigid USAF formations and tactics).

If you are in a fairly big fight, your RWR may be lit up my multiple bogies from multiple directions. The RWR can only give you so much information. I was a submarine sonar tech. Submarines have WLR systems (sonar warning receivers). They false alarm quite a bit.  When you get a threat alarm (i.e. torpedo homing sonar), you have to decide is it real or false. If in doubt, you execute standard torpedo evasion maneuvers... which the enemy may know and intentionally force you to execute to draw you into a trap. Electronic warfare is a difficult game to win at 5 kts (typical submarine speed while trying to be quiet), way harder at 500 kts.

Keep in mind, the SF2 game is very predictable despite TK's efforts to make it otherwise. If you play enough, you will learn situational awareness, of which the RWR is only one part. You will learn the flaws in the AI logic and once you do, the AI will only beat you if you are tired, distracted, or go out of your way to avoid exploiting their weaknesses. Fly an F-4 against a horde of MiG-17s, MiG-19s, and/or MiG-21s. Fly a MiG-23 against a flight of F-4Es, F-15s, or F-16s. If you fly the same missions over and over, you can learn to win them. Once you do, the game becomes an algorithm... execute the right moves to avoid attacks while patiently waiting for useful/effective firing opportunities. Later patches made most of the missiles somewhat reliable when fired within parameters. You can get between 50% and 75% hit rates with early AIM-9, AIM-7, and R-3/K-13 (AA-2 Atoll) missiles if you are patient. With later variants, you don't have to be as patient or you can get 90% or better hit rates.

I agree.  The AI wasn't intended for modern era air combat with AWACS, stealth, modern missiles that require at least some jinking to evade, jamming, and all you describe.  I do believe with a big radar and some long-range air-to-air missiles (e.g. AAM-4B, AMRAAM and Meteor) you can just keep flinging them at unstealthy Fulcrums & Flankers.  

Also thanks for kicking a** in the Navy.  I've seen "Hunter Killer".  Amazed what you sub guys pull off when you literally can't see your adversary at least 95% of the time!