Sign in to follow this  
RIBob

Question About Bomber Damage Models

Bombers carry Bombs.  Bombs explode; usually when they hit the ground/target, but sometimes otherwise.

For instance, is there a feature in EAW where a fully--or even partially bomb-laden-- bomber takes a heavy flak round to the remaining bombs in the bomb bay of the aircraft, causing the aircraft to explode?  I don't know if even an Armor-Piercing, Incendiary or Tracer heavy bullet (similar to .50 cal) would penetrate a bomb and cause it to explode, but aircraft-fired explosive cannon shells might, and certainly heavy flak rounds could be expected to do the trick.

Naturally, the more-or-less instantaneous explosion of all or most of a bomber's load would be catastrophic, and might well take out other nearby aircraft, or at least damage them to some degree.

Is this feature available in EAW?

No there's nothing in the damage models that would allow for that.

There are 12 damage sections that can edited -

Hydraulics

Pilot

Fuselage

Tail

Right wing

Right aileron

Left wing

left aileron

engine 1

engine 2

engine 3

engine 4

The values range from Zero to 255.

There are corresponding hit bubble sizes for each section.

The problem is, if you set the damage value very low then the plane will be too easy to shoot down from another aircraft.

I suppose that if the fuselage damage value was set very low and the fuselage hit bubble size set to very small you could compensate for that. You could then set the surrounding hit bubbles to a higher value to sort of "cover" the soft spot.

Seems like a lot of trial and error wold be needed to get it right though.

Edited by rotton50
spelling error

Hi RiBob,

It shouldn't be too hard to implement such features into the game as there is no reason to make things harder then it can be. At present EAWPRO already has many simmilar happenings. I'll have a look if I can add this idea somewhere. It may take some time though before I can get to it.

VBH

Edited by VonBeerhofen

As is my usual intent, my suggestions are intended to cause those folks who understand the EAW sim, and who are capable of modifying it, to sit back, after reading my suggestion, and perhaps wonder if it is feasible.  If so, and my suggestion being an advancement of the sim, then how to accomplish it?

Whether they do so is up to them.  I propose; they dispose.

I seldom make suggestions that are frivolous, or wildly impractical.  Even my "King Kong" scenario, proposed on another forum, is not that wildly impractical, except that a skilled animator would be required to implement it.  I might add that such a scenario would be attractive to potential users of the EAW game.  I think we can all agree that augmenting the number of users of the advanced versions of the game would be a good idea.

I know some of my suggestions are almost impossible to implement, but maybe not.  What seems impossible at first might not be so after a little thought--or after some discussion.

I know that I, personally, have had instances where I have been pondering a difficult problem whose solution suddenly appeared to me.  Particularly after putting aside the "impossible" problem, and deliberately NOT thinking about it.  Some of my best work is done by my subconscious mind.

More to the point, my suggestions might provoke others to uncover unexplored realms of the sim whose exploration might provide unexpected dividends.

The unasked question is never answered. 

Edited by RIBob

RiBob,

The answer is that in terms of programming nothing is impossible and as such hitting a bomb with a bullet, be it on board or in the air can be programmed. Wether it's a usefull feature and if I want to spend my time on it with still so many other things waiting to be taken care of is another. You suggest an idea and I take it as such, just an idea.

VBH

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, VonBeerhofen said:

RiBob,

The answer is that in terms of programming nothing is impossible and as such hitting a bomb with a bullet, be it on board or in the air can be programmed. Wether it's a usefull feature and if I want to spend my time on it with still so many other things waiting to be taken care of is another. You suggest an idea and I take it as such, just an idea.

VBH

That's exactly the sprit in which all of my suggestions are intended to be considered!  I certainly know that you, and others, have a fair amount on your respective plates, and I don't expect any of you to even consider dropping long-running projects to work on my suggestions.

OTOH, if such suggestions (assuming they are found both practical, and historically worthy), can be incorporated into an upcoming project, that would be nice for the EAW sim as a whole, I think.