whiteknight06604

stop the game from overwriting files

i'm starting to get pissed. for the life of me i can't get the game to stop randomly over writing the stock items. I'll install the mig-15 updates for example then at some random time the game decides to rewrite the ini files and can no longer fly the damn plane. I will also delete aircraft and ground objects for custom installs and then once again at random they will all reappear .

Yes, it is annoying. After years I've made one ultimate solution - unfortunately, it screws campaign thing (I haven't played campaign since 2010 so am fine with it now) .

Thing is. All stock modified by me aircraft has a different name of a folder - example standard Canberra B2 changed name RAF_CanberraB2. and so on. Literally, I have no stock named aircraft - no way game will overwrite this. If the game decides to overwrite it will just create new folders of stock planes..but no harm to my modded ones. Same goes with my ground objects...no stock name. Yes, it is a strange thing but I'm fine with this. And I have everything the way I want. And the game will not fool with me anymore. But this is my solution. 

I

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, whiteknight06604 said:

i'm starting to get pissed. for the life of me i can't get the game to stop randomly over writing the stock items. I'll install the mig-15 updates for example then at some random time the game decides to rewrite the ini files and can no longer fly the damn plane. I will also delete aircraft and ground objects for custom installs and then once again at random they will all reappear .

Delete options.ini and version.ini in the mod folders for the particular install then run the game...........I think this was the fix for this.

Only ever seen an overwrite with a patch under normal running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, my Solution of this issue ist the "Falkland-Mod-Method". I made a Copy of SF2 Europe.exe at its root-path (C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2). Named it "SF2 Modded.exe". Then i started the "SF2 Modded" exe-file. Now it creates the Folder "saved games/SF2 Modded". This Path wasn't overwrite during the last months. To me, this method works.

Ah: don't forget to copy the ini-file, too.

falkland-mod-method.jpg

Edited by kanalrat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MigBuster said:

Delete options.ini and version.ini in the mod folders for the particular install then run the game...........I think this was the fix for this.

This works for me to. You can also make the  mig-15.ini file read only once you have made your edits. On my campaign specific installs such as Falklands or ODS etc I make a 7zip copy of the entire aircraft and groundobjects folders. That way if the overwriting starts again I can just redo the options and version .ini files and replace the entire affected aircraft and groundobjects folders.

Edited by dtmdragon
  • Like 2

I usual just set everything in the Objects folder to read only when I am not modding files.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MigBuster said:

Nice idea. I tried it.  Deleted the options and version.inis.

Then started the game.

And the game wrote a new options and version.ini and overwrote all modded stock planes. Yea-Ha.

Luckily i had copies of the old files.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry I had clearly forgotten about that little detail.

It shouldn't happen after that IIRC - unless you are sticking in old ini files back in with differences to that patch level.

I think keeping the folder and ini file the game put in by default was important for avoiding issues like this as well I seem to remember - as I would modify (not replace) the default basic XXX.ini for each aircraft and then copy the rest of the files over from an old install .

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 7:08 PM, whiteknight06604 said:

That's the first thing I've noticed when I installed SF2. It's very annoying and , somehow anticipating the disaster, I made first a backup of my third party planes for SF2 and made separate installs for SF2 series. I

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 1