Speech Enhancement & Expansion

Speech Enhancement & Expansion
February 13th, 2019 (1st Release)
by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
This package is my personal enhancement meant to improve the consistency and quality of the in-game English speech. I tweaked the SpeechSystem.ini file to include the additional SF2NA voices ("call the ball" and "Vampire") separately from those of the TACC; the additional SF2NA voices are now meant to be those of a Navy Controller. By chance, I have found and fixed a stock bug in the original SF2 SpeechSystem.ini file.
With some .wav editing, I created a generic Hawkeye TACC using the original, female Red Crown voice. Additional .wav files have been created so that in-game flights and Departure mention Hawkeye instead of Red Crown.
I hex-edited the .str file so that subtitles properly display Hawkeye instead of Red Crown. Other little fixes were also made; for instance, you'll no longer see "Call the ball" (capital letter after a comma), now it correctly is "call the ball". You get Hawkeye as TACC when flying for naval aviation services, otherwise you get Red Crown.
This enhancement is a mixture of Polak's beautiful speech pack for SF1 games, and of SkateZilla's and Rends' improved Hawkeye voices; my thanks for their work!

As a bonus, correct and complete or mostly complete speech files have been added for other languages: Italian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic, Persian. These languages have been added to the proper aviation services of countries where these languages are official:
-Arabic is used for Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Lebanon, Somalia, Chad, Yemen, Oman, Algeria, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Libya, Djibouti.
-Spanish is used for Spain, Argentina, Cuba, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic.
-Persian is used for Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan.
-Vietnamese is used for North Vietnam only.
-Italian is used for Italy only.
It's highly suggested to install this mod on top of my Nations & Medals Expansion package; the included NATIONS.ini file is entirely based on the one from that mod (hence that mod is required), but with additional edits for enabling different speech packs and callsigns where proper.
Mentioned countries feature correct callsigns as heard by the respective audio files (except for Persian, not possible for me to rework them without a transcription). The in-game subtitles have been fully reworked to feature such different callsigns.

>Credits (in no particular order):
-Polak, for his SF1 mod which enhances all of the original SFP1 speech sound files.
-Rends and SkateZilla, for the improved SF2NA Hawkeye voices, which I have tweaked a bit.
-GKABS, for producing the (still in progress) Arabic speech pack started for the development of ODS 30AE.
-Nguyen Dang Hat and Rhugouvi, for creating the amazing Vietnamese speech pack.
-FX Interactive, for producing the Italian and Spanish speech packs for their release of Strike Fighters: Project 1.
-Gerwin, for his tips on properly hex-editing the header of .STR files.

I included the original readme files from the mentioned mods, to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

>Disclaimer:
This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.

• Like 2

@bazillius To answer to your question made in the review, have a look at this other mod I made: https://combatace.com/files/file/16900-strike-fighters-wings-over-world-menu-screens/

You'll find the sound file you want to silence in the Flight folder, it should be Loading.wav. With my mod, the loading sound is still that of a jet engine, but a longer one.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm working on a major expansion of the Speech Enhancement mod. Next version will include rather complete and correct speech packs for Italian, Spanish, Vietnamese and Arabic languages, obviously taken from different sources which will all be credited. A modified Nations.ini file, based on the one from my Nations Expansion mod, will add all such languages to the proper nations where these languages are official.

I would like to add Russian, German, French and other speech packs, but the ones we already have are either much incomplete, a total mix of random words, or whatever. So I will not add those. The ones I will include are mostly complete and meant to be proper, not just for immersion.

I also found what appears to be a Persian speech pack (from the Multinational Speech Pack available here at CA, it was wrongly classified as Arab, no idea where it comes from or who made it). No idea if it's coherent or if it's just a mess of casual words. Can someone tell if it's proper? In such case, can anyone help me transcribe which the callsign names are? Without a transcription, I cannot fix in-game speech subtitles and callsign names to reflect those of the speech files.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.1; huge update, read the change log and updated description for further details.

If you've been using a previous version of this mod, it's recommended that you completely remove the Speech folder from your mod folder before installing this new one.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, stuntman said:

Thank you for this mod! Definitely adds some sense of immersion

Thanks to you! Positive comments are a rarity these days.

I would like to improve the mod even more, but nothing I can do without support. We have no third-party tool to edit .STR stringtable files, so I cannot replace call signs appearing in the speech subtitles for every language (Arabic is an exception, hex-editing was possible within file size limits). Also, not sure how the Persian language is actually Persian, I have no transcription of the call signs it uses, so I'm hoping for someone to come with that info eventually.

• Like 1

Mod package has been updated to Version 1.2; now in-game speech subtitles reflect the callsigns of the included speech languages.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1